ad: elecraft

Ham Radio - Tuning your rig for CW, matching the other station's frequency.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice video in that it is helpful, you don't spend, i.e. waste a lot of time getting to the salient points. I find myself too impatient to watch many videos posted here for that reason but not yours. FB OM!

G3SEA likes this.
  2. N4KRX

N4KRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent explanation for new HAMS interested in CW Kevin! I remember back in the late 50's and early 60's my Dad, KØQBR-SK, having a rock-bound transmitter and a separate receiver and feverishly tuning for a CW QSO. I use the auto-tune on my IC-7300 sometimes, but as a long time musician, I am used to relying on my ears. Also, I am a member of FISTS and the SKCC clubs. I really think CW is making a come back in large part due to these friendly organizations. And your are right...it's fun sending with a straight key!

3. KE0RFZ

KE0RFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

YouTube is the best thing that ever happened to this hobby. However, if you're wondering who might be the best of all hamosphere content creators, my vote is ke0og. The ultimate elmer, in my opinion.

4. PU2OLT

PU2OLT Ham Member QRZ Page

;):confused::rolleyes:
    I am licensed to class C and can use up to 100watts power I do not know how to work in CW! And limited for some tracks to talk about. Want to know my work better visit my blog. I appreciate it.
    Oliveira PU2OLT
    Blog: https://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com/
    Sao Paulo / SP Brazil

5. AE5ZX

AE5ZX Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is also a good mode for aging brains (like mine!) to keep healthy as are other methods such as "doing math," working crossword puzzles, learning a new language (including computer languages), etc. Great video!

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I love how easy it is to work CW with modern radios, I really don't understand why so many hams just refuse to at least try it.

7. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they're LACKING in MENTAL CAPACITY??? To all, first off it's a VIABLE MODE of COMMUNICATIONS, like SSB/AM/RTTY/PSK/FT-8 (SORTA :) ) Once your brain gets it IMBEDDED your off to the "RACES!!!" 2nd, it's about our ILLUSTRIOUS HISTORY, just from THAT standpoint Boys & Girls SHOULD WANT TO LEARN IT !!! The other LAME EXCUSE is that most governments/military DON'T USE IT ANYMORE, so what??? 100k+ & more use CW everyday worldwide!!!

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. WA9ZCO

WA9ZCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the great video and explanation. The routine scanning pulses that you noticed are mostly transmissions that are originating by NOAA and are called an Ionosonde. I also did not know what they were and found the answer from an MIT lecture by Philip Erickson. There was a series of lectures made available to ham community which this information was included in the last lecture.

9. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 100%
    At our Field Day this year the Phone station was upstairs with eight hams sitting on the edge of their seats.
    I was downstairs by myself on CW outrunning them 3 to 1 contacts and CW contacts count 2 points vs 1 point for CW.
    Yet another participant worked 2 meters for hours and managed 5 contacts.
    I thought the bands were in great shape, they grumbled about how bad the bands were.

73 es cu on the bands
    Larry KB0R

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KH6O

KH6O Ham Member QRZ Page

To KB7TBT: In your video you said not to "zero beat" another CW station's frequency. But, with older amateur transceivers, the receive frequency exactly matched the transmit frequency as displayed on the VFO, so we would tune in another station's signal so that there was no tone (which is what zero beat means), then use the receiver's BFO to set a comfortable tone. My question is why did manufacturers eliminate the receiver exactly tracking the transmitter, and instead incorporate this receiver offset? I don't like it at all.

11. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

. My best guess is 20 dB advantage CW vs SSB.
    Testing point to point comms with legal limit power, and best possible antennae at both stations in negligible propagation conditions, I have repeatedly observed that stations not able to copy SSB will hear a CW call.