ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio - Tuning your rig for CW, matching the other station's frequency.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to check both my rigs to make sure:

K3 In XIT or RIT Displays Receive Frequency during receive and Transmit Frequency during key down
    In SPLIT MODE Displays both Receive and Transmit Frequency
    ALT MODE switches to other sideband

IC7300 XIT or RIT Display receive frequency all the time but also shows the offset (+ or -)
    SPLIT Displays both Receive and Transmit frequencies but on key down the main display switches to the Transmit Frequency
    Has "CW-R" which switches to other sideband

Some older rigs has a variable passband tuning which allowed one to slide from one side to the other.

AC7DD likes this.
  2. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

ps to above, some people like the tone to go up when turning knob to the right and down when turning knob to left.
    some like to opposite

Larry KB0R

3. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, so informative, not like most of the other videos that are out there

K0UO likes this.
  4. SV1RUX

SV1RUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone remember how to scan the band looking for signals anymore?
    I think we should have a video on how to turn the big knob.

K0UO and AC7DD like this.
  5. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good show and tell.

6. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep in mind, when working a big DX pileup, that it sometimes is good to NOT be exactly zero beat.... otherwise everyone calling on top of each other and the DX station hears nothing. being 10 or 20 hz high can be an advantage.

Next video -- how to listen to where the dx is calling (and send where the DX is listening) -- AKA how to avoid a SPLIT police ticket.

UP UP UP

AC7DD likes this.
  7. KE4TH

KE4TH Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video! Always wondered whether the receiver or transmitter was offset during CW.
    The tones seen/heard sweeping up the frequency spectrum are probably one of the several ionosondes we have around the country, testing (sounding) the ionosphere to find Maximum Usable Frequency (MUF) and several other parameters.
    Keith - KE4TH

AC7DD likes this.
  8. WB8SCT

WB8SCT QRZ Lifetime Member #205 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I strongly agree with W1YW, putting more How To videos on the main page is an Excellent Idea

W7CJD, KB7TBT and N7XCZ like this.
  9. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say hams who have done any traffic handling on SSB and CW would beg to differ.

Theory is one thing but putting it to the test, practically...

10. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah ... not buying it.

I'm speaking as an op who regularly worked other ops on 160 as the band closed down, then sent CW .. so, no, CW DOES have the edge ...

11. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the video was well made!

I never thought of zero beating the side tone with the incoming signal, that is an excellent idea for the novice CW person.
    In practical terms, older Transceivers did not have a BFO or RIT adjustment, so when in QSO they would defacto adapt to the new side tone to avoid dancing around the band. Keep that in mind when working Rockbound or older Xcvers. They will adapt to you.

And a point of clarity, the receive frequency is not offset from the transmitter in CW mode.
    The receiver is tuned to the same frequency as the transmitter and a Beat Frequency Oscillator is injected at the mixer.
    In simple terms, the difference between the BFO and the incoming signal is what you hear (Which is why you can also hear SSB transmissions).
    Old Receivers had a BFO knob to adjust this. On most Transceivers this is fixed, although some, like the authors have one that can be adjusted in steps.

The RIT ( Receiver Incremental Tuning - or Slider/Clarifier in CB terms) is a Receiver VFO Offset. In this case, the Receivers VFO is + or - offset in the amount indicated by the knob or screen.

WW4JF and AC7DD like this.
  12. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I thought you were saying that SSB gets through as equally as CW, my bad.

The traffic handlers I know are perfectly sure that CW gets through in lousy band condx over SSB anyday.

13. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Until I got my rig which has a little CW tuning indicator, I never worried about it. I just set the dial where the other station sounded right.

How did I ever talk to anybody when all I had was an HW-16 and a handful of crystals? :p

AC7DD likes this.
  14. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is all about the band width of the signal. The less bandwidth, the better chance you have of receiving the other station. Find a clear frequency....open the Width adjustment all the way to the widest bandwidth. Now, turn it down. You'll notice the noise goes down as the bandwidth narrows. If you've got a narrow filter, you might get all the way down to 200Hz on CW, and it's perfectly readable. How narrow can you go on SSB without the operator sounding like Donald Duck?

Bandwidth is why FT8 (and all the JT modes) works so well. Your signal "below the noise floor" refers to the noise floor of 2.4 khz. The FT8 tones are 6.8 hertz wide, and when your computer turns it's Width filter that low, it kills a lot of noise, and a signal can be heard well below the SSB noise floor. Yes, SSB has half the bandwidth of AM so in theory it should be more readable at the receiving end, but I'm not sure that's why it was invented. I was awfully young then. ;)

NV4B, WW4JF and AC7DD like this.
  15. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't done CW since 1996...I need to get back into it. I wasn't that good but as the old saying goes....Practice makes perfect.

KB7TBT likes this.