Ham Radio Aviator On Round The World Flight

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, May 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WQ4O

WQ4O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Luck Brian GB YOU! From WQ4O

2. WB4TAA

WB4TAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Best of luck Brian on your worldly adventure! How exciting!

Best 73's......Joe

3. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto what Joe said!

4. KE4GJG

KE4GJG Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have to have ALE to make a qso? I was going to try with remote radio... Thanks KE4GJG

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oi!

The tracking map shows Spirit still on the ground in Fortaleza. The schedule indicated Natal then Dakar today. Nothing new on The FaceBook since June 2nd. Any info as to why the delay? (WX or ?)

Obrigado e 73 de John - WØPV

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The tracking shows him leaving Fortaleza today, but shortly thereafter it shows him orbiting between Fortaleza & Natal, then.... nothing further

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n916bl#d9c956e

Scroll down to "Flight Status Information" - 06June - click on "Play" on the right side for latest tracking.
    Kinda weird...:confused: The tracking shows that he never got above 1,600 feet & then the tracking stopped.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip. Zoom in on the radar map, it looks like he flew the pattern and approach to landing at Aerodromo do Catuleve, which is a small sport airport on the route but just outside of Fortaleza.

OH - looking harder at the FaceBook page, I see he did explain the delay. Apparently there was an issue with Brazilian aviation authority granting a permit, but also some problems with avionics (Stormscope) and HF comms, Here is the end of the post,

"It is time to pack up and head for Spirit and Catuleve. I hope to find that my HF and Stormscope will let me head out to Natal this afternoon and on to Natal this evening. I hope to be able to keep to my original schedule and take off for Dakar early tomorrow morning. The flight to Dakar will be the longest leg to date and the first time I will take off with a maximum fuel load as I head across the Atlantic. I won't need all that fuel but I want to be sure to test with full fuel and to tanker a bit of fuel to Dakar where fuel costs more than here in Brazil. Every little bit helps.

Stay tuned!"

https://www.facebook.com/AmeliaEarhart80/posts/871277003020786

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad that you found/passed along that info. - I'm not a FaceBook user so was glad to read that his problems are relatively minor. He was only "up" for about 30 minutes today & never got above 1600 ft./120kts. Hopefully he gets his issues ironed out before heading across the pond to Dakar.

9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is easier to contact Brian Lloyd WB6RQN / Aero Mobile by calling with ALE, since he is often scanning ALE-squelched (like Selcall).
    But, after the first ALE station makes contact, many other non-ALE stations can piggyback by simply calling on SSB voice.
    ALE operators get together in a web chat room at http://hflink.net
    Listen to this recording made on the HF receiver of F4GFZ in France.
    It is a 7 minute audio clip of WB6RQN working stations in USA, Europe, and South America on 14346.0 kHz SSB voice while he was flying over the Atlantic Ocean, near Venezuela:
    http://projectameliaearhart.org/wp/...ic_Ocean_Near_Venezuela_3JUN2017_rx_F4GFZ.mp3

YO4FKO likes this.
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

When on the ground (88' alt) I entered his coordinates into Google Maps and got a marker right in the middle
    of an airstrip! How can it be that accurate?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo