ad: elecraft

Ham Radio Aviator Attempts New York To Paris Speed Record

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, May 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on actual miles flown for the Texas to New York flight, the performance of Brian's aircraft Spirit was 214.84 MPH.
    The number to beat for NY-to-Paris was set in 1983 in a Beechcraft Bonanza: 200.61 MPH.

N2EY and W5BIB like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A prudent decision, for the moment, from an experienced pilot.

Chip W1YW

3. KQ6XA

The good news for North America hams is that there will be a better chance to work WB6RQN Air Mobile during the next 10 days while he is flying from New York to Texas for repairs, test flights in Texas, and then again during the Texas to Florida leg.
    June 1st is the scheduled departure for the Round-the-World flight.
    There is an updated schedule of possible ham radio activity on WB6RQN Air Mobile ham radio website.
    WB6RQN Schedule of Upcoming HF Radio Operation in 2017
    23 May: New York to Texas flight for repairs (ALE only)
    24-28 May: Texas test flights (ALE and SSB Voice)
    29-31 May: Texas to Miami (ALE and SSB Voice)
    01 June: Depart Miami. Embark on Round-the-World flight (ALE and SSB Voice)
    02 June-24 July: Round-the-World Flight (ALE and SSB Voice)
    24 July: Arrive Oshkosh Wisconsin for AirVenture (ALE and SSB Voice)
    29 July: Oshkosh to Texas (ALE and SSB Voice)

Note: All dates and flight locations are approximate and tentative. Please see the Live Tracking Map for actual locations and flight movements.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  4. F1RAF

F1RAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a possibility to meet Brian in Paris?
    Nicolas F1RAF (Paris)

5. WD7R

WD7R Ham Member QRZ Page

5/23/2017 FlightAware shows N916BL flew Westbound from Farmingdale, NY to Ohio State University (OSU). I thought he was going to "cross the pond"?

6. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Old pilots and bold pilots...sorry he couldn't do the flight, but it sounds like he made a wise decision. As someone who helped Kathleen Winters with her book on Earhart I'm very familiar with her life. From that I'd say that it looks like his route is doable. Others have done similar flights with single engine aircraft. But unlike Earhart the worst "headwinds" could be political!

N2EY likes this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bonnie, you have been a fountain of information. Thanks! Bill

KQ6XA likes this.
  8. KQ6XA

Brian Lloyd WB6RQN Air Mobile is on the air today, while in flight from New York to Texas.
    Several operators have contacted him today with ALE, on different bands: 7, 10, 14, 18 MHz.
    Time now is 21:10 UTC and he is on the air, at 8000 ft over Kentucky.
    Signal is surprisingly good, even though propagation is not optimum today.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a narrow window twice a year that this can be attempted it's not something I would undertake in a Piston Single engine aircraft.

Also if the route portrayed is accurate it's directly below the North Atlantic Tracks if something goes wrong Airliners can at least relay messages for him or give out his position.

A typical Transmitter in an Airliner has approximately 400 watts not sure what Brian has.

Good Luck Brian

10. KQ6XA

11. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Great web site, tnx for the link.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

12. WX4CAZ

WX4CAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WELL, WHEN IS HE GOING ?

13. KQ6XA

14. K7KSG

K7KSG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great endeavor. I'll be listening on my Falcon 50's HF since all my flying is domestic. Any chance you'd work frequencies in the General privileges part of the bands? Would enjoy making contact in between your ATC position reports. Tailwinds to you!

KQ6XA likes this.
  15. KQ6XA

Please check the skeds for Brian WB6RQN on his website. http://projectameliaearhart.org/ham-radio/
    He will also be active on ALE frequencies which are in the General subbands, and these include SSB voice compatible with aeronautical HF radios, such as 14346.0 USB

The full list of ham frequencies and approximate dates of operation are listed on his website.
    The sked times will vary quite a lot, but are more likely during the several hours in mid-route of each daily leg during the round-the-world flight.
    Hams in USA are more likely to make contact with WB6RQN Air Mobile between 31 May and 10 June.
    This includes his flight from Texas to Miami; down through the Caribbean to South America; across the Atlantic to Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

AK5B and W5BIB like this.