Good News for Amateur Radio Operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD0NDG, Nov 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KR3DX

KR3DX Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's another opinion from a "hater":
    Garbage in = garbage out

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No it isn't. Look at mine.
    My prev. op. class is advanced but my prev. callsign is the sequentially assigned Extra Class callsign I got when I upgraded. 10 years after that I got my current vanity callsign.
    Previous Operator Class and Previous Callsign are not related.

3. KB7MM

KB7MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bonnie I'm still in the running to be the last Advanced class operator putting on another steak and opening a brew 73

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    KC5AKB and KD0QG like this.
  4. KD0QG

KD0QG Ham Member QRZ Page

40+ years go I upgraded to Advanced Class from Novice/Teck that I had for quite a long while and finally the FCC scheduled an exam in Denver for us all. By then I could copy 25 wpm cw so the 20 wpm was no problem. But I haven't been on cw since. Yes I have thought about going back to take the test again, but just why should I? I already have 90+ % of the frequencies and the ones I operate on anyway.? And with a no code extra it just dosen't mean anything to me? I have a Special Exclusive Licence that no one can qualify for anymore and I put in the time to get proficient with cw and knowledgeable of the test just by experiance? So just why should I give up this now Special Exclusive licence for a lesser one that just gives a few more frequencies but not the accomplishment it once did? I decided to stay with my Advanced Class a long time ago.. 73

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    N6RRY likes this.
  5. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it is. Your previous class is listed. No, it's not the same call but it is you. Thanks for this extremely meaningful debate :)

6. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with you in many ways. But I do operate CW. And really want to go in the lower portion of the bands. My wish would be since CW is no longer a requirement the FCC would grant Advanced the lower 25.

7. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

OR you could upgrade and earn it? :D
    It is called Incentive for a reason

ND6M and AI7PM like this.
  8. KF7IQ

KF7IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

On the cancellations, what percentage of these call signs are class upgrades where a new call sign was issued and the old call sign is canceled?
    Looking at the issued license numbers vs the active license numbers the Amateur radio community should take note that this graph shows there are a large number licensees that could move to active status if encourage to do so by mentors. Do you know a new Ham that is inactive? Do you have an old radio just laying around collecting dust that you will probably never put back on the air? I'll bet that a number of inactive newer Hams would love the opportunity to be able to tune around the bands and listen on an old radio if they were only encouraged to do so by a good mentor.

9. W6GH

W6GH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this is really good news if accurate. My only concern is the accuracy of the FCC Data base. Does the data include silent keys?" Just a thought. Amateur radio has been my passion for more than 50 years. I want to see more novices joining our ranks. I guess that is a tech now. Whatever! :) DE Jim W6GH

10. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt those numbers will increase as we enter the next solar cycle up slope :cool:
    Another Factor / Constant to add to the Formula.

G3SEA/KH6