Good News for Amateur Radio Operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD0NDG, Nov 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KR3DX

KR3DX Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, statistics. They can be used to "prove" almost anything, depending upon which figures you choose to include or omit, and how you "crunch" the numbers.

2. WB9QLR

WB9QLR Ham Member QRZ Page

There are statistics, damned statistics, and then there are government statistics. Give me the right metric and I'll prove that Rhode Island is in some sense bigger than Alaska!

KR3DX likes this.
  3. WZ4K

WZ4K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was Advanced Class for about 25 years and just decided to walk into a test session one weekend and take the Extra class - glad I did. I feel like I finished something (for a change).

N4NYK likes this.
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say that a near 100 % active fraction in 1999 and 60 % today is highly optimistic.

A "rule of thumb" in the 60s/70s was not more than 2/3 active of the amateur population,
    reduced to about 1/2 in the 80s.

Research made in connection with the IARU "Foresight Project" in 2010 pointed in the direction that
    around 90-95 % of newly licenced amateurs are not measurably active after two years.

Obeservations also point in the direction that the vast majority, perhaps 90%, are completely indifferent
    regarding the quality and future of amateur radio.

As the saying goes: "Easy come,easy go..."

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

K7JOE, N2SUB and K6LPM like this.
  5. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I just missed the 20 for extra a couple of times I decided to leave the advanced ranks when they dropped the code down to 5wpm. Sat for the extra just because I could. I find I rarely use the lower 25Khz of the cw bands, but at least I do not have to worry about it if I am using one of my ancient rigs near .025.

I actually find that even though there are more hams these days finding anyone to speak with is harder. I can put out calls all day on repeaters and get no responses. HF bands are often without users, yet I can hear my own signals on websdr. I am not sure what good it does to have license holders who are not active.

There are some prepper groups that I have crossed paths with where everyone in the group got tickets, bought Chinese radios, then never got on the air. Trying to get them to be useful for a public service event is about like getting a random unlicensed person off the street up and operational as a communicator for an event. I suspect many of the increased numbers are people like that who think that if they get the license and have a radio magic will happen when they need emergency communications.

K6LPM likes this.
  7. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many good reasons to have a license but not do much talking with others on the air.
    Radio experimenting is one of the main things that comes to mind.

I find that having a common interest with a group of operators, involving a particular activity or type of operation, leads to more QSOs on HF.

N0TZU and WU8Y like this.
  8. K2DED

K2DED Ham Member QRZ Page

I LOVE DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO CALCULATE...AND ANY FUTURE DATA WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....DONT LISTEN TO THE HATERS!! EXISTENCE IS CHAOS WITHOUT DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. KD0QG

KD0QG Ham Member QRZ Page

40 years ago After a long time of being a Novice/Teck I up graded to Advanced in one session. I made The 20 wpm but missed 2 too many on the Extra even tough I didn't expect that i would end up taking it anyway. I have though about going on and take the test again but why would I? I already have over 90% of the frequencies and all the ones do I use and I haven't uses CW Since. And I have an Exclusive Licence that I achieved with diligence in getting code speed up and most of the test was from what I had learned with time on the air threw the years..... And I now have an Exclusive Licence that no one else is able to Qualify for one now and I will stick with my Special licence from now on..

N6RRY likes this.
  10. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the FCC data base, the "prev. op. class" is indicated per call sign. If you are currently an Advanced class operator and choose to upgrade, then the "official" FCC data base records that you upgraded from Advanced.
    BTW, I know I passed both the 13 WPM and 20 WPM test even if no one else does. That's what matters to me :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    N0TZU and KD0QG like this.