ad: elecraft

FT8 – Tipping Point for Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5FGE, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Change is the only Constant :cool:

New modes and systems will appear but SSB/CW will still be relevant.

Just more tools in your tool box.

G3SEA/KH6

WD5IKX, N0NEV, K8VHL and 1 other person like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see "anger, belittling and outrage". It's disdain.

When the majority of hams don't see the difference between RTTY and FT8, then, yes, we've reached a "tipping point".

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

"Disdain: the feeling that someone or something is unworthy of one's consideration or respect; contempt."

And what's the point of 'proudly' displaying that? Is food being taken out of your children's mouth by FT8 users?

It's a hobby for heaven's sakes. This is supposed to be fun, and bring people together. If it's not doing it for you, move on, live and let live.

N0NEV, SE3X, K2NCC and 3 others like this.
  4. WB9MSM

WB9MSM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Change is the mother of anxiety! All hams please let's unite rather than become divided over FT8. If you are not into using it then just don't do it. Amateur radio has always been since the early days of spark gap about exploring new modes of operation. 73 & Enjoy Ham Radio!!!

W5TTW likes this.
  5. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither does parking oneself on a frequency, cranking-up an amplifier and calling "CQ DX" or "CQ CONTEST" or "CQ DAILY NET" into a mic. If vacuum tubes and rotary phones blow your skirts up, fine. But it is 2018, not 1918.

KC9YGN, K4HAS, WB9MSM and 1 other person like this.
  6. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have only been a licensed Amateur Radio operator since 2017.However I have been a SWL since 1990 while also trying to get a Novice license back then in the early 90's.I can't help but wonder about the people that are screaming about FT8 not being ham radio . There weren't that many modes back in the 90's but then the sunspots were active and you could work Papua New Guinea on 5 watts using a paperclip.Conditions aren't always bad but FT 8 is a complement to the radio hobby not a hindrance. When phone bands are empty there are FT8 contacts galore a few kilohertz down.There is RTTY PSK31 and other modes also. I don't understand why people get so mad about a mode of operation. It DOES require a radio and an antenna so it isn't just computer stuff being done .I'm happy to make ANY contact regardless of mode. Whether that's Oman on FT8 or St Helena Island on phone or Andorra on RTTY , that's a contact I couldn't get with my computer or cell phone. I'm glad there are all sorts of modes. My chances of a contact are just that much better.

KV6O likes this.
  7. K5FUV

K5FUV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember when SSB started getting popular in the late 50’s, early 60’s. It was “let’s zero beat that hetrodyne (AM carrier) and it’ll go away”. And eventually, they did, as everyone switched, except for a few diehards.

Any new mode will find its early acceptors, may get popular ( or not) and will probably be supplanted by something else new in the future. In that respect, FT 8 is probably (long term) no different than any other new mode. Its big attraction right now is the ability to hear signals 20 dB below the noise, which keeps people interested in radio whereas otherwise they’d become bored listening to an otherwise dead band.

KA0HCP and K3XR like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dead? It's not dead. Listen to all that noise!

9. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have tried it. does not do any thing for me, it is like setting back in the dentist chair staring at the ceiling while listening to the drill.
    boring and painful. Don't worry it will not last.

WQ4G likes this.
  10. VA3VF

That's not the point. The point is making the most of it while it lasts.;)

N0NEV and G0JUR like this.
  11. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree that your first sentence is true today. My point exactly. You may have misunderstood my post. It is NOT about the merits of FT8 or other modes. It is about what I, and apparently quite a few others, miss in ham radio today.

12. VA3VF

Double post, sorry.

13. VA3VF

14. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, we know you miss your good 'ol days. Y'all are like a damn broken record and never let anyone forget it! Those days are gone and they aren't coming back. I, for one, am glad of it. I prefer to buy a radio than build one. I like having options like FT8 when annoying contesters are all over the bands. I like having FT8 available when phone is full of BORING nets and BORING operators moaning about their usual aches and pains and how much they miss the old days. These are our good old days. Please stop pissing all over them.

KC9YGN, K2NCC and KD2NOM like this.
  15. VA3VF

Since I'm not 'unidimensional', like some of you, I put FT8 aside for the weekend. I'm pretending to be a skilled ham, by participating in the CQWW CW contest. No only that, for only the second time in my ham 'career', I'm using the DX Cluster actively. So instead of 'search and pounce', I 'upgraded' to 'point and click'. Wow...I cannot believe I was that unskilled before. Just using another tool in the tool box, folks.:rolleyes:

The DX Cluster enables a very limited CW user like me to work some very nice DX. It still takes a while to be certain of the call, as some of the other skilled users spot the wrong callsign sometimes, but it beats spinning the dial blindly.;)

The DX Cluster is a tipping point for me.:oops:

One more award (DXCC CW) for my HP.:D

N0NEV and W5TTW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.