ad: Schulman-1

FFC Rules to Elminate Vanity Call Sign Fee and GMRS License Fee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB3ZIM, May 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7LTF

K7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

So do a fair number of other people pay taxes for things they don't get a benefit from, and your point is??? Taxes are a waste in general????

2. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

Most crooks are not smart enough to even know what a callsign is.
    "Why advertise"
    So hams can find eachother.

I don't think I have ever heard of a crook breaking into someone's house because of a callsign license plate so what you are saying is theoretical at best.

3. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Your cellular phone bill for one. The advertisers on terrestrial radio/Television. Those auctions for spectrum. Taxes levied on Cable TV providers and the channels on them. Etc etc.

In this case it sounds like they eliminate a few staffers because now the computer takes the apps in order and picks a winner, and zappo....its done. Probably go from a few people running it to one or two, if that, and it will probably be one of the many things they do. So they will save money in the long run-not printing as many refund checks as well, which is another department from what I read. So there will be a few layoffs, or as people retire, such as the one guy who did HR enforcement for years-they just won't refill the positions.

As for GMRS, I have a feeling they are eliminating the fee for one simple reason: People buy the radios and throw out the paperwork to apply for the license along with the instruction manual. I wouldn't be shocked if 75% of GMRS "users" are unlicensed. I have the frequencies in a scanner at home and I usually hear kids talking back and forth. Using them like we used those toy walkie talkies back in the day. You know they aren't licensed-the ages I'm talking about probably don't even know what a license is. And since I haven't heard of any enforcement against GMRS users who are unlicensed.....

Maybe if they make it free, some people might actually register.

4. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gottcha ...

5. N4GST

N4GST Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's about ALL of us. Just say'n.

6. K4WJ

K4WJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe they are eliminating the application fee, not the renewal fee. It is costing them too much money to refund fees paid by applicants that did not receive the vanity call sign they applied for.

73..de John/KWJ

7. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Bonfire of the Vanities?

The header typo reminds me of my old ham friend

originally from Plainfield, Wisconsin--W9FFC(SK).

Rest in peace, Bob, low SWR, and good dx.

8. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC said a few things in their R&O that could explain the real *why* behind the reductions or outright eliminations in regulatory fees.

Most interesting was their revelation that direct broadcast satellite providers have not been paying regulatory fees. At least to the same extent as cable TV and broadcasters have been.

The Commission does have a tad of ‘Robin Hood’ in its blood. I’ve observed penalties jacked up because of the size and ability of the entity to pay; and similarly reduced in the case of inability to pay.

If you subscribe to Direct TV or Dish Network, get ready to pay more for what you receive, as they surely will pass on whatever increase the FCC asks of them. Most likely, their new fees will be substantial.

So, if the FCC offsets the lost regulatory fee income with new fee revenue on the satellite industry, there’s equity in funding.

9. KB0TT

Dumb Crooks

Hams can ' find others ' via radio .... I HAVE heard of a crook
    using call sign information .... What? Me worry ? Nope ......

My ' theoretical at best ' is that MOST ( if not all ) states' amateur
    vanity call plates ' say AMATEUR RADIO .....

My wife and I had call plates in the 70's :

Mine - WB0VBL - N0AGS

Hers - WB0TSK - N0AIW

Missouri also put the slash through the ZEROs , Michigan could
    NOT figure out how to do that ...

JB

10. KE5ZFG

KE5ZFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm so vain ( I probably think this post is about me...)

Ok. Lame lyric reference aside...

I have been reading about the vanity callsign charge change and wondering how it all panned out.

Are they free now? If I go to the FCC site and apply, is it charging me the correct rate after the change? Or is there a later date when it goes into effect?

How do I apply for my vanity callsign without paying more than I need?

11. KB0TT

Hmmmmmmm ....

As as with all changes , when it hits the Federal Register , you are good to go ...

That ' KE5 ' is too tough to live with .... You ,absolutely , do NOT want to look NEW ! !

When you get your vanity , at least TRY to get one in your call district ' 5 ' .....

That IS where you live ..

12. KE5ZFG

KE5ZFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the response. So I should be able to apply today and pay the reduced cost. Very good!