ad: Radclub22-1

FFC Rules to Elminate Vanity Call Sign Fee and GMRS License Fee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB3ZIM, May 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

PS: I can circumvent the problem by downloading the PDF, and then open it and "save as" a text file. The text file comes out in the proper format.

But with other PDFs, I can simply highlight the text, copy and paste and it comes out right the first time.

2. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

At least those "clowns" don't have the high license fee as an excuse for unlicensed operation anymore. Most people buy the combination FRS/GMRS handi-talkies and throw the license form in the circular file. Being a licensed operator in another service, I wouldn't take the chance of operating my GMRS radios without a license, even though it cost as much as a night on the town with the XYL.

3. W4RLR

Questions about moderator actions on the forum are ALSO a violation of QRZ policy. Fred's house, Fred's rules.

4. W4RLR

Other than perceived "bragging rights" for being an old timer, what are the benefits of an "old time call"? You could get any available call short of those reserved for Extra class operators under the vanity call sign program with a General or Technician class license, and have been able to do so for years. Eliminating the modest fee for a vanity call will change nothing. I see no downfall here. Or are you of the camp that amateur radio was dealt a death blow with the imposition of the volunteer license examiner program and the end of the Morse code requirement? That equine is still quite dead.

5. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx .......

That helped me , YOU and everyone else ...

6. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Horse

Cool .... :cool:

" That equine is still quite DEAD " :eek: If that element WERE still required , there would not be as many
    wonder Extras that we have today.... Heck , anyone who can read ( comprehend ) SHOULD
    be EXTRA class !!!!! I am just an Advance class .... I HAVE passed the EXTRA in a VE testing
    environment .... I did it on a BET ..... I tore the application up and it hit the circular
    file .... Of course , you say RIGHT !!!!

Anyone , I say again ANYONE , having been given the EXACT answers to the
    EXACT questions is a NO brainer .....

If a person FAILS today , SHAME on THEM ..... At least for EXTRA , the 20 wpm morse SHOULD
    be REQUIRED ... It IS , after all , the TOP license ...

Off the soapbox ... Sorry .... It is just MY take on the subject ....

If I hurt your feelings , I apologize ...:)

JB

7. AF5SX

AF5SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Gift horse

As with most "sayings", this one has its logical origins.
    The age and health of a horse can often be determined by looking at a horse's teeth (condition of the teeth and gumline, etc). The saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" then becomes self explanatory.

8. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1996, I applied for a 1x2 callsign with the application fee, and sent to the correct address, in which it arrived on the correct day.

In 2006, I sent the appropriate fee, along with the correct form, for renewal of said callsign.

In 2016, I will again send in the correct form for renewal of said callsign.

During those 19 years, I have not applied for, nor have had, nor have changed, to any other callsign. Since the FCC has computers and a database that keeps track of callsigns, why should anyone who has no action with the FCC other than renewing their applied for callsign, be required to pay a fee simply for renewing it? If you have an FCC assigned callsign and have no action with the FCC other than renewing your callsign every 10 years, why should you be any different? Is the processing of an applied for callsign that much different than an assigned callsign? I doubt it.

You get no benefit from paying taxes? So those paved roads you drive on provide you with no benefit? Those drugs you get from the pharmacy provide you with no benefit? The food you eat provides you with no benefit? The air that you breathe provides you with no benefit? I find that hard to believe.

9. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Umm... no. Not if you have a long name, or one that a number can't replace a letter in. Yes, it's great that some folks can get calls like yours, or my friend K4THY, but some of us are blessed/cursed with "difficult" names. :D

10. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, I still remember my CB call... KATL3638

Had a "senior moment" one day not long ago and started to give that as my call on the local 2m machine while out mobile.

11. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you know it you wont even need a license to be a ham any more they took the code away and made the test more ease and on some bands its all most like cb radio what a joke.......

12. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Better question, why would any Ham want to display their callsign on a license plate?

And why not ?
    Dave N8DC

13. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

NO ! says the FCC

14. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

so, I should wait before applying for my vanity call?

15. N2JTX

N2JTX Ham Member QRZ Page

Had this happened 25 years ago I might have considered changing to a W2 call but I have had this call so long that I cannot fathom changing it. If we ever go the route of Canada, that allows secondary calls, then I might go for a vanity secondary. Otherwise, I will stick with this call until I can no longer use it.