ad: MyersEng-1

FCC Drops Code

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NA2P, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And just remember, if you ARE the DX, it will become so much more frustrating because there will just be too many North American hams on the HF bands now.

Many DX hams don't work HF anymore because when they call "CQ" all they get are North Americans or Europeans.

2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh? I can climb my own tower, fix my own rotor etc.

And it's only the second most popular mode on air.

Don't worry, we can tell who's codeless and who's not. We have computers. [​IMG]

Besides, if you want to work the rarest DX, you're going to have to do it on CW, sorry to say. In fact, with the influx of new phone ops, more of them may be driven to CW, quite simply because the pileups from America on phone will be so large.

I don't get it.

3. W1YB

W1YB Ham Member QRZ Page

10-91, Good Buddy!

4. KI4MSA

KI4MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I think that 10-3 would work for you.

It was going to happen.  Get over it, and yourself.

This NO-CODE Technician says:
    ... . .   -.-- .-   --- -.   .... ..-.   [​IMG]

5. W3DLB

W3DLB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After reading all of this and other threads on this subject,I have to ask....Just how many thousands of operators do you whiners think are goin to invade the bands?[​IMG]?? Seems to me the opposition thinks that the entire 11 meter band is just waiting to invade the ham freqs....I think not. I have a brutal work schedule and I don't get a lot of time to study. I didn't want to fudge my way through the test either. I'm not like that. I am thankful that I'll get to do some rag chewing on HF while studying code at a decent pace, instead of rushing into it so I can upgrade before my CSC runs out in May......I think I'll be a better code op for it!!!!!!!

6. N7PLC

N7PLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like CB radio
    I am a 5wpm general
    I'm glad the code is gone
    and I like Rap music
    Seventy Threes

7. VK5MRD

VK5MRD Ham Member QRZ Page

News headlines on the WIA website here in VK land.

"FCC to Drop Morse Testing for all Amateur License Classes"

In an historic move, the FCC has acted to drop the Morse code requirement for all Amateur Radio license classes. The Commission
    today adopted a Report and Order (R&O) in WT Docket 05-235. In a break from typical practice, the FCC only issued a public notice at or about the close of business and not the actual Report and Order, so some details -- including the effective date of the R&O -- remain uncertain. The public notice is located at, http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-269012A1.pdf.

Courtesy ARRL

I agree with AD4MG -

"If Amateur Radio doesn't start attracting younger folks into it, then it's eventually going to die."

Help support the future of our hobby and encourage all the new Radio Hams.

Best 73 de Dave VK5FDMR

[​IMG]

8. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you need a vacation.. and im serious now.

[​IMG]

What you say may be be very true about licensing. .. BUT there will be MORE hams. More hams more cw to.

The worst lid on our local repeater comes on saying: "CQ 2m. CQ CQ CQ VE7*** CQ 2fm... who is a lid? (Oh yeah the guy had code then) [​IMG]

We are a bit laidback here with funny phonectic, weird sounding check ins and high compression on ssb but that is normal for here.

9. KC0QNB

KC0QNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good, bad or indifferent, things have changed, little can be done about it now. as far as a post I read alongs the lines of here comes chicken band, I doubt it, they still have to pass the test, I have read time and again that amateur radio is dying anyway, cell phones are cheaper and readily available, and when the "kids" want to talk to their buddies they will use the cellphone. conventional broadcast radio is going out of style also.
    Just move forward and enjoy yourselves and quit complaining.

10. kd0adz

kd0adz QRZ Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] First of all to those of you who say C-B Alert
    or here comre the Idiots,I have operated 6M,
    2M,220 and 440 with 100 % Respect,,Now that
    a barrier for me,failed your 5wpm given at Farnsworth 18wpm for the last time,you stuck up lil VE's who think its all gonna be a 11meter invasion,WRONG,Im NOT now gonna spend even more hard earned money for HF gear finally to get on and act like a CBer,
    Shame on you,:( .I will study and pass any written test,but I want only 10,12,15,17 and 20meters,,,I won't be on 75 meters where Ill really get cussed out by those 30word a minute hypocrites,,Dont Judge us,,we did just
    fine in VHF and UHF and obeyed the Part97 Federal Regulations,,so chill out..
    Now VE's give me a test I can understand,learn and pass,,and then spend thousands on a Full system,like you all did,
    From Radio to amp to 100ft Tower and Antenna Farm....So enough with the CB crap.
    Those Clowns will never figure out how to get
    their Galaxy DX 99,s to go down to HF bands.
    You know who's gonna be on HF now,ME,going
    on my 2nd 10 year licence,So God Bless you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY HF NEW YEAR!!!
    Sincerely
    Jeff KI4FDX...

11. WZ4KIM

WZ4KIM Ham Member QRZ Page

QST QST QST......   Listen up,  the international community dropped code as a requirement in 2003....  There are still a large number of DXers in the world that  still work CW.  CW is a mode !  If he FCC dropped the questions from the question pool on the Extra Class Exam about SSB emissions, do you honestly think that it would keep people from upgrading or operating SSB [​IMG]

I hope that ALL Hams will welcome those that upgrade and come to HF and keep CW as an emission... and encourage new Generals to learn the code anyways and to use CW as a mode.  

CW as an emission didn't change with the new ruling !

There will still be the same thrill of working a rare DX Station QRP on CW !

Don't worry to much about CBers distroying the hobby....  

Face it......   Ham Gear is still $$$

and even on eBay.....  you're gonna spend more for Ham equipment than you would for a Pawn Shop CB !

Anything worth operating, that is !

PLUS, there are the written exams !

73's.... [​IMG]

12. KB2SFH

KB2SFH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a no-code since 1994 and I did my full general upgrade last spring, March for the written and took me 2 tries in April to get the code. I did it for the same reason you did, BEFORE it was dropped. I'm very sorry for your death in the family and sorry that it set you back, THAT was a valid reason unlike the other lame excuses we all have heard for those that won't work to earn it. making general for me has also prodded me to go out and get my VE certification this fall and have my first 2 testing sessions under my belt. the first test session was all upgrades but I at least got to grade a code exam. the second session was a brand new no-code technician that I got to grade first out of the other VE's and he totally aced it. It was great to be able to congratulate him and welcome him to the hobby!

13. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I just hope we can find some common ground to operate with. BPL is the real battle not this code issue.

14. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, because that would certainly be a question in any sane person's mind.  A dollar, or a peice of dog ####...  hmmm.... which should I choose?  

"Their" will be?   I wonder who puts it in "their"?  Must be something that was placed in "there" task list by "they're" boss at the radio factory.

That with which?  Ummm... OK.

I have two friends who are blind, and also Amateur Radio Operators.  I wish they had the "site" to view a web "sight" like this one.

I wasn't aware that Ham Radio needed mystique to be useful or enjoyable.  Perhaps you can explain why it does.

I'll go make the popcorn...

Lids can be read also, as the quoted post proves.  Good thing the code requirement kept all the lids off of 75m.

Oh wait...

15. W7ACT

W7ACT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Virginia there is a Santa.

Last Tuesday before the announcement I purchased a new IC-7000 and LDG AT-7000 Tuner from HRO in Portland now I'll be able to use it on the Ham bands also and not only on the MARS Frequencies......

Now to repass the General Element and I'll be set on the HF Bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.