ad: chuckmartin

FCC Drops Code

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NA2P, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, I expect this to create a fresh round of "we are doomed" threads on every amateur related board, but...

I'm a new no-code Tech, as of mid-September. I had set myself a goal to become a General - or at least to get the Element 1 passed - before this happened. Due to a death in the family halfway across the country, my schedule got pushed out. But the point is, I'm afraid now that me and others like me will forever be considered "CB'ers Lite" because of our status at this point in time.

I'm as disappointed in this decision as anyone, and I can assure you I will persue code proficiency (at a whole lot higher than 5wpm) regardless. I've talked personally with other Techs in my area who feel the same way. Just today I enrolled in a 10-week class starting in January to begin the process of becoming code proficient. Those plans will not change after today.

While I disagree with this decision, it isn't the automatic death of Amateur radio. It all depends on the new folks coming into the activity, and how everyone continues to portray the tradition, importance, and especially the technical merits of code. I have the utmost respect for the traditions of Amateur, the hurdles you more seasoned Amateurs had to overcome, and the immense technical knowledge you have. I only ask that us new guys be given the chance to prove that we aren't all a bunch of CB'ers.

Please, don't put folks like me in a position where we have to apologize for the rest of our lives because we only recently came into your avocation.

2. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

A) CW is NOT illegal on any band. You may operate it anywhere, so long as you're not interfering with any communications currently going on.

Anywhere. Even on "phone" portions of the bands.

B) Only the REQUIREMENT of the CW test was removed. The bandplans have not. All the portions of the HF bands that are specified as CW only, still are.

CW is just too damn efficient a mode of operation to die.

But if you'd rather believe the sky is falling, be my guest.

3. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Morse Code has always been an effective "traditional" mode of communication, having been around for many years. It is truly sad to see what I consider, the "lessening" of qualifications to be an Amateur Radio Operator. I passed the 20 WPM Extra Class code test in March, 1981, and I was/still am, very proud of that accomplishment. With one letter, the FCC has struck down one of the great "traditions" of Ham Radio. Gene

4. KI6ADA

KI6ADA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I must be nice and add my thoughts "Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus"! [​IMG]

5. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

If the tradition was so great, eliminating the test will not strike it down.

The tradition is using Morse code, not being tested for it.

The mode still has its value in the amateur service. The FCC merely took a crutch away from those who wanted others to be forced to see that value.

Now the pro-coders must stop getting something for nothing and work to preserve their tradition.

From the way they've been whining around here, you'd think they'd welcome the chance to show how they'll work hard to preserve their important tradition.

6. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

W3MIV,
    Albert, does that mean we have approx. 60 days to keep the NoCode/Know Code thing going here on QRZ ??

That should give time to come up with another worthy topic to beat to death !! [​IMG]  [​IMG]

QRZ is still the BEST place on the Internet to display one's ignorance !!

Speaking of ignorance reminded me :
    BILLY, BEWARE of the IDES of MARCH !!

[​IMG]  [​IMG]

7. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

Well noclue, your attitude isn't worth catching.  I hope you and KI4MSA are the exceptions and not the majority representatives of our new operators.

I say this having note that you posted the identical statement in each and every code thread that you can find.  Sad.  And MSA, you would do well to take your own advice and shut up if this is the attitude you bring with you to HF.  Pathetic.

And W4CLM, nice work.  You and the other old crusty "fahts" like you will forever perpetuate the hate.

To all above, nice work.  You are the types who should consider alternative activities.  Amateur radio isn't for any of you "gentlemen".  It's a fraternity, not a sore winners/losers club.  Get with the program, or get out.

I suggest the sane among us take a deep breath, and consider how we can manage the incredible changes to the amateur radio service to best serve our needs.

For you losers who don't fit the "sane" mold, please continue making yourselves look stupid.  It's most amusing, and you do it so well.

My sincerest welcome to all new operators (without attitudes) who will grace our MF & HF bands soon.  Note that I'll be one of the callsigns always willing to help those who ask.

Best 73!

8. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

Beautiful.  Spoken like a true gentleman.  The amateur radio fraternity has awaited your arrival for so long.

Enjoy.

9. KI4MSA

KI4MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

ad4mq

I'm tired of hearing people like you whine about the code going away. You poeple are starting to sound like broken records.

If Amateur Radio doesn't start attracting younger folks into it, then it's eventually going to die.

The younger generations don't want to get into something when they have to deal with whiny primadonnas that think that they are better than everybody else. And I know, that you know, that Amateur radio is full of people that fit that bill.

I myself prefer to try to get kids interested in this because I do believe that Amateur Radio needs to stay around for good, and it will not do so without them.

10. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

It's AD4MG.
    Yep, I'm whining.

Do you read before you post? It's easier without that attitude ...

11. WD0BC

WD0BC Ham Member QRZ Page

didah didah didah...

12. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

DING! DING! DING!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

[​IMG]

13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a whiner.

14. WD0BC

WD0BC Ham Member QRZ Page

didan didah didah ...

15. KD6FWD

KD6FWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear you gripe and complain about all us new commers, but if you need someone to climb your tower, or fix your rotor or somthing we are OK.  Well ya best get over it Oh by the way. I won't be on the CW sections of the band unless I am using dit dit dah.  I quess that mode is still there.  Now if you are complaining about some of us codeless types.  Couldn't tell while using SSB.  And if you listen more than talk anyway you might hear how bad some of the biggest complainers sound anyway.  If the FCC is going to enforce the rules on me they will probably be writing a bunch of you a few letters about the improper language etc. [​IMG]  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.