ad: cq2k-1

FCC Cracks Down on Uncertified VHF/UHF Gear, With Hams Caught in the Middle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW....can't wait for the thousands of FCC enforcement agents to start knocking on doors!

AC7DD, N0AMY, W5CJA and 3 others like this.
  2. K1SHE

K1SHE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

oh and what about some of the Big name rigs that are certified but will transmit outside of the band just like a cheep china one I bet those are exempt right lol

K7PWR, K8AI, W4LLZ and 3 others like this.
  3. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two Baofengs, and I like them.

I also modified my IC2730 to transmit on GMRS frequencies, and I DON'T HAVE A GMRS license. One time I clipped the limiter in a Cobra 29. The phone rang, and I quickly soldered it back. How about that time I kerchunked a repeater and didn't give my callsign? I felt like such a rebel.

I'm a bad man.. Bad, bad man. *zips up leather jacket and lights a kool menthol*

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    K7PWR, W4LLZ, N4AAB and 10 others like this.
  4. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just like they're doing with all of those darned "export" 10 meter radios..

N0AMY and KN4GEX like this.
  5. KN4GEX

KN4GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

My IC-251A will receive and transmit above and below the 2m band, it is factory. I think its stupid to blame the equipment for an individual's transgression. I mean what does it matter what your transmit with as long as you are within output power limits and inside the band you are licensed for?

K7PWR, KM6VOV, KB6DAN and 1 other person like this.
  6. K1AC

K1AC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the way I look at it. Just go to youtube and search for "CB keydown." There are tons of videos of idiots self incriminating themselves by transmitting on 11m with many thousands of watts. Do any of them get busted? Doubtful. What about the manufacturers of said illegal amplifiers?

WQ4G likes this.
  7. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't feel like I'm caught in the middle anything. The "victims" in this are only those who want to be.

KA9UCE, AC7DD, KT4RK and 2 others like this.
  8. KK6FR

KK6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't you think it's the "BIG" 3 behind this? Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood can't compete with $30 and $40 Dollar handheld radios, the FCC could care less, what next? $ 150 dollar HF rigs? I would be a bit ticked off too.

9. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Meanwhile, I still can't have an antenna on my property.

KG7MNK, K8AI, KT4RK and 3 others like this.
  10. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

See it the other way - as long as you don't stand out making the FCC go look for you then they don't have any excuse to really care. Chasing for every radio able to operate out of band is a waste of time. But if they have an excuse like you are being reported for something then they can do a sweep for "illegal equipment". But if your radio was approved once, then it should be as with vintage cars - it's according to the rules it was at the time of purchase or manufacturing.

And the horror - I bought a Tytera yesterday for experimentation/development.

11. K7KB

K7KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be nice if the FCC would go after uncertified Grow Lamp balasts that cause havoc throughout the Amateur bands with the same gusto they seem to be doing in this case :p

K8AI, NX6ED, N1VAU and 2 others like this.
  12. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Month old "news"...perfect.

AC7DD likes this.
  13. KJ4DGE

KJ4DGE Ham Member QRZ Page

It is likely the HT market depending on the Chinese maker (Btech, Anytone) will go the extra distance to get FCC type acceptance while the off brands will not and simply keep selling to the EU, and Asian markets. If you sell a 50 dollar HT, (high end Chinese) product times 1,000 units, you just made 55,000 American dollars, push Part 90 approval and say a group of security firms, hospitals, small LE towns that cannot budget for MOTO radios at 1,000 dollar a HT let alone a mobile and you sell another 10,000 units. The maker just made in the US market alone 165,000 dollars in profit. So yes taking away the crap product is a good idea but don't knock the Btech and Anytone and perhaps a few other brands that sell a approved, FCC accepted and typed product to the US that has passed the "purity" tests.

If you look at Yaesu they have recently brought out the FT-4XR for 75.00 that is pretty much in the same specs of the cheaper brands. What do you think that means? they realize the money is there for a better product at a cheaper manufactured price and they want a piece of the action on cheaper HT's as well. Alinco has followed suit, Kenwood and ICOM have pretty much given up altogether on the HT market with no new products within the past 3 years and they are standing by their 300 dollar offering that do everything but clean your house with the thought that the consumer will stick with the name recognition alone. They cannot and no longer desire to market to HAM radio buyers, or care to.

Competition is a good thing folks so perhaps the playing field will level out once the "junk" is removed, but don't knock a vendor that plays by our rules when importing a Chinese made HT. A lot of them offer more features than you ever wanted and at a lower price, AND meet the federal requirements. I would be more concerned with cheap Chinese electric blankets whose power supply is causing a ton of RFI into the HF bands.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  14. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

OH, MAN!!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!! LMAO!

73 Sir!

N0AMY likes this.
  15. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Paul. Your QTH is where YOU made the conscious decision to live. Abide by the HOA CC&R's...that you were fully aware of at the closing.

N0AMY, W5PFG and N1VAU like this.