ad: elecraft

FCC Cracks Down on Uncertified VHF/UHF Gear, With Hams Caught in the Middle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8MH

K8MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Its like posting to the for sale forum and not putting your call sign in the picture............

2. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

At the Orlando Hamfest ARRL was there checking radios in their stand, i offered by Baofeng to check and it barely passed. But it passed. The ARRL tech scoffed at my Baofeng results so i asked if there was a big difference in the results from the Big 3 and he said it was about the same.. so i asked are there other radios that you have seen that do worst and he said yes.. So at the end of the day i felt good i didn't spend $280 on a Yaesu HT again. That night in Pirates Of The Caribbean I drenched my Baufeng on the ride,,, i didn't freak out, it was only$28 dollar Baofeng,, but luckily nothing happened to my Baofeng. i'm with the others that if i don't transmit outside the ham bands i'm good. i haven't seen anyone talking about in an emergency state which you may have to transmit outside our ham bands. I have had to transmit outside the ham band in a real search and rescue situation and this was and still is permissible in that scenario.

K7PWR and AC7DD like this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hams Caught in the Middle"

Just add cheese and you have a Ham Sammich. :cool:

KE8KTL and KD4MOJ like this.
  4. K8MOT

K8MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am all for observing the rules, but they have been sold in the US for over 15 years, Maybe they need more engineers and less lawyers and cpa's selling cell frequencies for millions of dollars. Google a list of people at the FCC with no technical background at all. We used to have 5 enforcement vans for Ohio, They now have 1 enforcement van for 5 states.

K8AI and WU8Y like this.
  5. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then please explain how HAM's can modify CB's for 10m use?
    Or '97.1 (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur’s proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.' Are HAMs no longer allowed to experiment and modify type/non-type accepted radios for use on HAM bands using 'good engineering practices'?

This whole Type thing erodes at the very foundation of a significant part of HAM radio (of yesteryear when HAMs actually built radios). Whether it is imported or modified by HAMs should make no difference - the HAM that TX's on our band is responsible for the transmitters cleanliness. Or why have technical license test questions for licenses?

K8AI, W0KPC and AC7DD like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Those things that are blocking your view of the forest, They are called trees.

Part 97 doesn't have anything to do with it. (except to tell you to obey 302.)

7. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't transmit outside of the amateur bands. Carry compliant HTs during public events such as ham fests and field day. Take your UV-5Rs off of your QRZ page.

I really wish the FCC would spend more time keeping interfering equipment out of the consumer food chain and vulgar knuckle draggers off the air vs. worrying about me operating my disposable HTs outside of the amateur bands.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    KE8KTL, WW5JS, K7KB and 1 other person like this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

What about all the radios built and bought in Japan by hams stationed there or tourists?

Those are for the JA market only and are not certified by the Fuzzy Candy Company and were not confiscated by US customs.

IOW dont fuss about the petty stuff and find something else to do.

Carl

AC7DD likes this.
  9. KM4WFW

KM4WFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ooohhh We are so scared! Ain't nobody can walk up and check your radio without a search warrant. FCC has literally 10 field agents and their not worried about your junk baofengs. So don't bury radios and run and hide.

K7PWR and N0AMY like this.
  10. N1CTO

N1CTO Ham Member QRZ Page

The chairman certainly doesn't have a tech background. That says enough right there.

AC7DD likes this.
  11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are the radios being imported the country legally? Do they have FCC Part 95 certification.... Yes/No?

If yes, then you can modify them for use the 10m meter band.

If no Part 95 or any other kind of certification exists, then they are illegally imported radios and cannot be used on any band whatsoever including the CB radio band or even modified for use on the amateur radio band for that matter.

Radios imported into the United States, for use in the United States requires "some kind" of FCC certification even if it's just Part 15 certification before they are allowed to be used in the country. We are prohibited from using any radio sold or marketed without any kind of FCC certification.

Radios imported for "use" in the country are required to serve a specific purpose and therefore they must comply withe some kind of FCC certification for that intended purpose.

The bottom line is we cannot use any illegally imported radios for anything.

The fact we don't require any FCC equipment certification has absolutely nothing to do with radios that are being illegally imported and sold in the country contrary to the Communication Act, Section 302.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  12. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you think the FCC is going to come bust your door down because you bought some Chinese piece of crap HT, you need to crawl back in to your bunker.

13. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is concerned about "non certified" radio equipment imported into the country.

The fact we don't require any FCC equipment certification has absolutely nothing to do with radios that are being illegally imported and sold in the country contrary to the Communication Act, Section 302.

Manufactures violating that section is what the FCC are concerned about.

AC7DD and KA0HCP like this.
  14. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That has not been my experience.

The UV-5R tested did NOT comply with FCC maximum spurious emission standard.

15. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just searched on Amazon.

Apparently sellers there have not subscribed to "the crackdown" because a bounty of $30> bayofungus radios are plentiful.

"This is the FCC, Amazon we have the internet surrounded, throw out your non-compliant radios!" Said no one ever. o_O

KE8KTL likes this.