Custom Coax Cables for Your Station

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K8KSU, Sep 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA2AAR

WA2AAR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this some kind of joke? Ham radio operators have been making there own cables for years.

NH7RO likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very serious stuff for 11 meter users.

SWRs are priceless, If you want good meter swing.

I like to support DXE so the Hot Rods keep smoking. :)

3. K0PV

K0PV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job on the loops. Tnx for the idea!

SE3X and WA7PRC like this.
  4. K0PV

K0PV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job on the loops. Tnx for a gr8 idea!

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx. I used bulkhead adapters (similar to Amphenol pn 83-1F) thru the brackets (carved from 1/8" aluminum angle), and right-angle adapters (similar to Amphenol pn 83-1AP) where appropriate. The brackets are attached using HD stainless steel worm-drive hose clamps:
    [​IMG]
    The band is wider & thicker than others, and the four tabs prevent it from falling apart when tightened. Industrial suppliers such as McMaster-Carr have 'em for a coupla bucks each. To prevent the threads from galling, I first injected anti-seize compound, using a hobby syringe.

Connectors are sealed using HD 3/4" heat shrink tubing (3:1 shrink ratio) w/ heat-activated sealant inside. McMaster-Carr has it.

NH7RO and WN1MB like this.
  6. KD5BLZ

KD5BLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice to be able to order custom cables. But usually when I need a cable I need it now not tomorrow. So I usually just keep spare accessories to build my own.

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

It Don't mean a thing, If you Aint Got that swing....
    Ymmv

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow - an amazing amount of passion stirred up by a discussion of build-your-own vs. ready-made cables. I'm disappointed by the level of intolerance in so many of the posts. Who are all these self-appointed judges of what constitutes an "authentic" ham? Ham radio is a HOBBY - something we do for fun. Each of us has his/her own reasons and motivations. Everyone's story is different. As for me, I became a ham a year ago at the age of 60. I had been an SWL as a kid and was always intrigued by what I perceived to be the magic of radio. Put up a wire and hear stations thousands of miles away. Amazing. I built a few Heathkits as a kid but never had any particular mechanical or technical skill with radio. I recognize that I could have chosen to develop these skills, and also acquire greater knowledge of electronics, but I didn't. My life went in other directions. I did other things that were productive and required skill and effort. Decades later, at 60, I decided to get back into radio as a ham. I had no desire to home-brew; just wanted the thrill of being on the air. Got my license, and then a couple of months later decided I wanted to learn CW. Now I am almost exclusively CW and have my copying speed up to around 20 WPM - which to my mind, for someone who learned code at 60, is as much of an achievement as soldering a PL-259 onto a piece of coax (for those of you keeping score).

K1SK, KM6POA, KD5BLZ and 1 other person like this.
  9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people just don't learn that it's not good to solder PL-259 connectors wearing Synthetic pants....
    Ymmv

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Get. A. Grip. FGS.

KD5BLZ and NH7RO like this.