ad: vanity

Custom Coax Cables for Your Station

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K8KSU, Sep 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NE2I

NE2I Ham Member QRZ Page

wow just look on ebay for your jumpers... They work great I use LMR 240 for all the inside stuff...

NH7RO, KD8DEY, NU4R and 2 others like this.
  2. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not talkin' to me, but from my limited understanding, PL259 isn't as good as BNC or type-N connections. Google will have lots of hits for "Why?".

NU4R and K7LZR like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I get that but that doesnt explain buying these. Do new hams not build anything even as simple as making a coax cable connection?

K0WJ, WQ4G, K5HS and 4 others like this.
  4. W4RAV

Me, I'd rather buy it ready-to-install. Sure, even with my basic soldering skills I can put on connectors, but I'd rather pay a couple bucks more and have pros do it with pro tools.
    And usually get some sort of warranty with the purchase.

I so rarely need to make my own coax, it's just not worth the money to buy the tools necessary to home-brew.

K7LZR likes this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Basically advertising on how to order cables from DXE is considered "news"?

You can buy standard length cables with UHF connectors already on them, and if you want something else, buy an adapter. Fraction of the price.

Myself, I just do it the old fashioned way - Just make the things as needed. I have spools of excess coax and boxes of connectors, a good soldering iron, and a razor blade, and other tools. I have a crimper too but haven't used it yet..

KE0DZW, NH7RO, W5PFG and 7 others like this.
  6. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do all my own coaxcables. Using a pair of pliers, a carpetknife and a soldering iron as the main tools. I just can't imagine a ham operator without at least a pair of pliers and a soldering iron! I dunno where this hobby is going?

WA7PRC, N2TGH, K0PV and 8 others like this.
  7. W4RAV

I have a couple good irons, but they get used maybe once every few years. My skills and interests don't involve working on my gear. :)
    I'd rather look at a computer screen than bare wires or circuit boards any day!

8. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is it that I come up with $21.50 for the same Item?

I've been buying from DX Engineering for years and they are the best! They have the very best customer service that I have ever seen.

Attached Files:

W1YW, NU4R and W4RAV like this.
  9. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people just don't want to go to all the trouble of soldering connectors and would rather buy one already made. It's their choice.

I make my own cables too. I use the DX Engineering crimp on connectors and they work great. I have soldered on PL259 and N connectors for years but these crimp on ones from DXE are much easier and quicker.

W4RAV likes this.
  10. KC9SWV

KC9SWV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not news, it's QRZ.com!

Also, those are some seriously expensive cables. It wouldn't take long to pay off your own set of tools based on the savings you could get by doing it yourself.

K0WJ, NK2U, NH7RO and 5 others like this.