ad: CQMM-1

CQ Zones wrong for many call signs

Discussion in 'QRZ XML Logbook Data' started by K2CD, Oct 29, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I export my CQWW contest log tonight it will have the correct zones, because I entered the exchange I received verbatim for each contact.

My style of operating is very casual. I only made about 800 contacts so far operating strictly S&P. I just put DXKeeper into contest mode as it is more than adequate for my needs, anymore. I have N1MM installed but it's overkill.

DXKeeper also has an awards tab, and that is where the incorrect zones are saved to. Now that I am aware that this error is happening I can nip it in the bud, right from the DXKeeper capture window. I need to get ahold of David Bernstein after the weekend and see if there is some kind of a work around for the software to ignore an obviously wrong zone based on what the call sign prefix it. I mentioned previously that DXView displays the correct zones. PathFinder is the culprit that is grabbing the erroneous data from the QRZ details page.

K8VHL likes this.
  2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Aha! Thanks for tracking that down and keeping all of us in the loop.

K2CD likes this.
  3. K2CD

Yes, this is exactly why I noticed the odd behavior. DXKeeper has a capture window that displays the CQ and ITU zones based on the call sign details tab on QRZ. KP4SX has the correct answer in post #4. It's because those special call signs default to 0 Long and 0 Lat, if the owner does not insert a zone into the record. 0 Long and 0 Latitude happens to be in Zone 36.

W4PG likes this.
  4. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I just happened to look at the QRZ entry for V26B. The grid square is correct and the map shows the correct location. But the zone is 36. I suspect we need to look into how the software is handling the zone, as if one puts in the correct grid square, which this call does have, the zone should correct also but apparently as you and others pointed out, it only changes when the lat/long is input, or if the map is corrected by the user to show the correct location but even that isn't for sure, as V26B has the map correct but not the zone.

Some of the QRZ log experts should help figure this out.

.............Bob

K2CD likes this.
  5. K2CD

I'm sure it can be straightened out. In the meantime I get alerts from my software when I download from LoTW (see below for an example). I was not aware that the QSO records were being saved with the wrong zone data. I had an epiphany last night while I was logging special contest calls during the CQ WW and I saw many of those calls were being tagged as zone 36. I wonder how many records in my log have the wrong zone. I made almost 10,000 QSOs this year alone. The OCD in me is going to want to fix every single one of them.

Screenshot.png

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have access to see his Logbook Properties?

7. K8VHL

It's on V26B's callsign Detail page.

8. K2CD

I discovered on my own that if I set up my call sign look-ups to occur via XML, the data has the correct zone. It is when I use the option to grab the data using QRZ.com (the web page) via Pathfinder, or any browser, that the zone discrepancy occurs. Simple solution is for me to use XML. I still have the option to view the web data, but I have to manually invoke it. I am used to having it bring up each user's page automatically. Hopefully this will get resolved in some future database update. I spoke to DXLab's author about this and he seems to think that the XML data and the web interface's data are not the same, and to use XML.

In the meantime I corrected hundreds of contacts in my log that were erroneously logged as Zone 36. Nearly 4 hours of work, but I strive for accuracy.

9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a few stations and I went to verify my CG zone by looking it up on my QRZ page.
    After giving out about a dozen contacts I had a station inquire about my QTH and he corrected me on my CQ zone.
    I am unsure how my CQ zone was initially listed incorrect when my QRZ page was initially established. But I have now corrected it from zone five to zone three and now is correct for my sixland call and qth

10. KP4SX

Logbook Properties can't be seen on the Detail page. I was wondering if you or W4PG as a Moderator can see that page?
    I don't know why he would have 36 on his Detail page unless maybe it was imported from his Logbook Properties?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  11. K8VHL

As you correctly pointed out in post #4, there are no entries in the Lat Long fields which then default to CQ Zone 36. We were talking about Grid Square earlier which is set correctly. Probably best to take it up directly with KA2AEV as he is the QRZ Callsign Administrator for V26B and maintains the entries both for the Detail page and the Logbook.

12. KP4SX

Not my job, man :)
    I was just thinking that a Mod could look and see his Logbook properties to see if that's where the problem lies.

13. K2CD

Something else I observed, I forgot to mention earlier. While I was correcting those zones in my log, I noticed that just about all of them occurred in the present year 2023. I think one or two were in December of 2022, but not anytime before then. I made tons of QSOs with stations using special call signs in October and November of 2022 (CQ-WW-SSB - CQ-WW-CW), but I didn't see any of them being wrongly listed in Zone 36. That might point to when whatever system update or change might have caused this. It seems to mainly have started during the WRTC Special Event in January. I made nearly 2000 contacts with those stations that month, and most of them had special call signs like LZ0WRTC for instance.