ad: Mountaingoat-1

CQ Zones wrong for many call signs

Discussion in 'QRZ XML Logbook Data' started by K2CD, Oct 29, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have noticed a discrepancy in the database between the CQ Zones that appear when you look at a call signs details. Example:

IW2HAJ's listing shows CQ Zone 36 when it should be CQ Zone 15.

The same is true for S54MC, YT5A, SN3A, CN3A, TM2T, GM5G, OR2M, IR6T, M6T, 9A3B, OT7T, OH8L, PV2G, CA3VAK, TI1E, CQ8M, V26B. These are just the ones I came across today. There are probably very many more. I wonder what might be the cause of this. It's more than coincidental that they all are erroneously showing up as Zone 36. The ITU zones seem not to be effected. Most of them are "special" calls. My logging software takes the erroneous CQ Zone data and saves it. That's something else I need to address. Just thought I'd mention this here.

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you were maybe doing the CQWW contest today. If you were, just log the zone they give you and not what QRZ or your logging program says they are in. Contest stations in particular sometimes move around.
    If you weren't doing the contest, the answer is still the same.

In the case of the QRZ listing, that question showed up earlier this week with a DX station asking basically the same question and Dave @W7UUU made the point with the DX station about how USA hams data comes directly from our FCC, but hams outside of the USA have to enter all of their station details themselves. Plenty of room for error in that case.

Shucks, just listening to the contest today, I heard a couple of stations that wanted to give the DX station their zone, but they had no idea of what their CQ zone was. Happily, in both cases, the DX station took the time to find out where, the USA ham was and told them their CQ zone. A win - win situation.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    US7IGN, N3AWS and W7UUU like this.
  3. K2CD

Yes I was. I absolutely log the exchange exactly as received.

I noticed that all the wrong zone data was claiming CQ zone 36. Seems too much of a coincidence. It's like the system inserted that particular zone in the record for some reason, like a placeholder. It would be better to be blank than to be incorrect IMO.

Conditions were really great today. I was really floored with how 80 was tonight. I had to pry myself from the radio. Hope it's as good tomorrow. Thanks for replying.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Default. 0 Long and 0 Lat.

US7IGN, N3AWS and K2CD like this.
  5. K2CD

You're right! Thank you. So now I understand the reason for Zone 36 showing up in those records. I'm not wanting to be critical, but doesn't that seem like a bug or a shortcoming? In any event I just wanted to bring it to the attention of whoever is responsible for administrating the database. I probably went about it the wrong way.

N3AWS likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think, although it has never been confirmed, that its coming from the Logbook Properties. If people don't know that exists they will likely leave it blank. Hence the default.
    How many JJ00 grids do you have in your log? Same thing.

N3AWS and K2CD like this.
  7. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We share your concern. The bug is known as EBCAK and the shortcoming is the human factors involved. We see the same problem when people move and don't update their callsign grid and Logbook QTH information, for example. In the cases you mentioned, the operators failed to enter the correct QTH info in their "special" callsigns and logbooks. Some of it may be attributed to language translation issues but most of the problems we field every day stem from a failure to read, understand, and follow instructions.

K2CD likes this.
  8. K2CD

Awesome. I'm going to reach out to the author of the logging software I use and see if something can be done from my end without having to manually edit it to the correct zone. The software (DXLab Suite) shows the correct zone in the DXView module, but gets overridden by with it finds on QRZ. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

K8VHL likes this.
  9. K8VHL

Try exporting an ADIF from DXLab Suite first and see if it contains the correct zone.

10. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As in all other competitions, you always need to listen to what the correspondent reports, and not look at what the program suggests.

11. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you're operating a contest, I'd try using a contest specific software, like N1MM. Why? They keep track of folks operating in previous contests and what their exchange was. For instance, I just looked up SN3A in N1MM. Since N1MM knows this station from previous contests, it correctly listed the CQ Zone as 15, even though QRZ shows 36. Once done with the contest, one simply exports an ADIF with all the contacts then imports that file into your favorite logging program, which will then have the correct callsign data (zone, country etc).

...........Bob

US7IGN likes this.
  12. K8VHL

This is a "Help Forum" where responses are intended to help resolve the OP's problem. It is not a forum for discussion about contest operations and certainly not for bickering among users. Please contribute in a civil and positive manner or you will be removed from this forum.

13. K2CD

I already stated this in post #3.

14. K2CD

I am having a hard time making it clear that this was not an issue I was having operating in the CQWW. It is an issue that has been happening every day for I cannot tell you how long.

15. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sorry but maybe because it was brought up during the same weekend as the CQ WW SSB contest, where the exchange includes the zone? Additionally, almost every station you listed is a contest call. Outside of a contest it would be pretty rare to hear them. It is a bit odd so many default to zone 36 for sure. Something to look into further.

.............Bob