ad: MLSons-1

CQ reconsiders policy on Crimea in CQ Contests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2FVM

KD2FVM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So Steve we should blame the operator for following the current leaders rules? If that operator is following the rule of law in his jurisdiction why should he be punished for changing regimes and borders. not fair to the hobbyists.

2. UT4UT

UT4UT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, perhaps this decision of CQ magazine will bring tranquility to the radio community. I agree that there is nothing good in depriving rights of any part of HAMs community. I didn't feel easy about that, as none would, I guess.

Yet, political decisions of CQ magazine to reconsider its first based on law decision is simply means that forthcoming CQWW will deal with legalized Russian-issued pirate callsigns operating from internationally recognized territory of Ukraine.

Neglecting law, procedures and undertaken obligations will bring us to far reaching unpredictable consequences.
    Russians HAMs with one accord set-up enormous smoke screen RADIO IS OUT OF POLITICS, just to hide principle value – RADIO IS FIRST OF ALL REGULATIONS AND PROCEDURES.
    Since we no longer respect that principle let’s dissolve UN and ITU. They no longer required. We’ll follow law of jungles, law of force from now on!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. UA3LMR

UA3LMR Ham Member QRZ Page

May be enough to advocacy and policy? How much can you, it's not funny.
    Many thanks to the CQ for common sense!

Don`t policy, make radio!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  4. AG2AA

AG2AA Ham Member QRZ Page

now if they could just publish on time....

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They could afford to if everyone who blasted them for their earlier decision would subscribe...

6. UT4UT

Operator shouldn't definitely as he has no choice.
    Another case is amateur radio organisations, they shouldn't accept pirate/self-proclaimed callsigns for contest/award credits. There is UN - to recognizes countries and ITU to bestow frequency spectrum management and callsign allocation on to governments. In relation to Crimean situation both are remain as it was before Putin's ride. Moreover UN has resolutely confirmed that Crimea is Ukraine.
    Principles and procedures should be respected, undertaken obligations fulfilled. HAM radio community failed to do so, which may ruin law retrospection and order.

7. F4HCV

F4HCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but what about Kosovo ? that has got its prefix while it is not widely recognized by the UN and considered by a large part of the UN members as a part of another state...should we work it just because its prefix was officially inaugurated by "international" representatives dressed in combat fatigues who landed at Camp Bondsteel ?
    As far as I am concerned:
    I do not make any difference between radio hams, I work anyone bonafide, and check the call sign after QSO just to see whether it is regular or not, I believe that the radioham sphere should not meddle with murky geopolitics and should respect the dissociation between the radio ham and the regime under which his station has been authorized. Otherwise, we will definitely kill the spirit of this hobby, which can't suffer from any artificial borders, except those placed by law and by physics.

8. PC1MH

PC1MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  9. UT4UT

Cher Jean-Pierre.
    Thank you for your feedback to my comment.
    To my opinion, Kosovo is strong argument for the case, though a bit different to Crimean situation.
    Kosovo is independent country as such posses sovereign rights to join UN and ITU or not.
    As well as other countries are free to recognize it. Since Kosovo to my knowledge is both not member of UN and ITU it is not obliged to follow UN Charter and ITU Radio Regulations.
    Crimea peninsula had been annexed by other country. However, Frequency management and prefix allocation still bestowed by ITU to Ukraine. Both Russia and Ukraine are members of UN and ITU so as parties signed above mentioned documents they're obliged to fulfill undertaken obligations.
    As per ITU Radio Regulations any none-Ukrainian licenses issued in internationally recognized territory of Ukraine is illegal by ITU RR . Situation will remain like this until frequency management and prefix allocation will be officially bestowed to Russia by ITU.

10. EI9JU

EI9JU Ham Member QRZ Page

You sure those new licences are illegal?
    The way I see it is, the ITU recognises the Russian federations licencing ministry as the legitimate agency responsible for issuing Russian licences and since Russia has annexed the Crimea (at the request of the electorate) the licences they've issued there are as valid as licences they've issued anywhere else in Russia.
    What's your position on a Russian from elsewhere travelling into the Crimea and using the only callsign he can...his own, is he also now using an illegal callsign?

11. UT4UT

Hi, Gerry. I am not ready to discuss about something which never existed such as request of electorate. During at least 15 years authorities of Russia have never been asking even own electorate. I assure you as a witness of the events, there was nothing to do with referendum Just compare it with Scotland one to see sharp inconsistent.
    Regarding the rest, it should be starting point from where law can be enforced. Starting point is UN decision, which resolutely condemned annexation and considers it Ukraine, so subdivision of UN ITU RR remains valid and prefixes allocation and frequency management remains at hand of Ukrainian authorities. So, the only legal way for Russians to operate in Crimea is using Ukrainian prefix, such as UT/RUSSIANCALLSIGN.
    Neglecting undertaken obligations leads to chaos and disorder.

12. EI9JU

EI9JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough,...but even totally disregarding the events surrounding the issuing of the callsigns, do you agree that the Russian issued callsigns are indeed 100%% legit and the only part their users fall short is, for whatever reason, not following etiquette by prefixing UT/, so it's fair to say I or anyone else for that matter under ITU regulations can legitimately work these stations and they us?
    The recent decisions to impose sanctions by CQ which it later reversed but still in place by the RSGB (to their shame) IMO wasn't based on a breach of ITU regulations but rather personal choices by the contest organisers.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  13. UT4UT

It depends, Gerry. First of all all rules had been downtrodden with bulldozer policy of the Russian ruler. So, it is hard to say what is legit and what is not. Let's have an example.
    Assume that group of us agreed to conduct chess championship. Chess is quite sophisticated game, so it took long time to elaborate all rules and procedures in the way that every participant gave consent to follow them. Eventually everyone agreed and undertaken and signed. Things went fine for a while in curse of championship, but at the final day when champion is to be defined everyone cane and took place at the chessboard ready to play, suddenly one participants came wearing boxing-gloves and started instead of moving chess-pieces boxing the participants and wrecking chessboards furiously but following strict rules of box.
    Had he been acted legitimately? Sure he has in terms of box rules, but not as per chess play at all and remember that he was expected to play chess not box.
    Approximately same applied for Russian actions in Crimea.
    Russia issued legitimate licenses, but they issued then on the territory where it has no rights for frequency management and frequency allocations. So the licenses are legitimate, but place where they are issued is not right. Can Russia issue licences in Ireland? Probably it can and they'll be legitimate, but illegal on the grounds of Irealand. As simple as that.
    Regarding RSGB, I have contrary to yours opinion. They are the once, to preserve dignity to call a spade a spade.

14. F4HCV

F4HCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if the violation of a UN resolution, i.e UN 1244, and use of coercition to change borders is legitimate then I definitely prefer to chose exile in the radio-ham's pink, blue, rose-smelling and sweet world of "friendship without borders"...the "real world" obviously stinks too much these days:cool:.
    Will work ALL stations on my next SOTA activation.:)

15. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm very happy to see that this issue has been resolved. This had nothing to do with politics, this is a hobby, and should left as a hobby!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.