ad: Mountaingoat-1

Cambodia bans the FT-891

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a veteran, and after that lived and worked in China, Vietnam, and Cambodia. I had zero problems while there, got all my gear approved, received visitor license and even have lunch with the Telecom Minister in Cambodia. How? I dropped the typical American attitude and treated everyone as a human being. There is more power in an open hand than a clinched fist.................Ron W6OM

KF4ZKU, DL4AD, SA6AXX and 8 others like this.
  2. KE6ANM

KE6ANM Ham Member QRZ Page

because Cambodia is a monarchy dictatorship.
    a third world Dump.

KQ0J, KI8CO and W2MFT/SK2023 like this.
  3. HS0ZPC

HS0ZPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think Dave and his co-applicants are handling this just right. It's important to remember that we are in someone else's country, asking them for permission to do things even their own citizens are not generally trusted to do. It is incumbent on us to gain the trust and good will (respect) of our counterparties, and hopefully to create some kind of a personal relationship, even if completely formal, with them. ALWAYS smile and be respectful and not demanding. I'm sure Dave and his associates know all of this and so the following commentary is not directed at them in any way. These guys have been operating there and know the situation on the ground better than anyone. What I have to say is directed to the armchair quarterbacks and people who've seen too many movies about dealings in the third world. Not everyone is corrupt. Don't make that assumption.

1) If we can establish ourselves as "reasonable" people , and open a friendly dialogue we have a much better chance of a favorable outcome. We are in no position to demand anything, we have no rights as foreigners and no status. we are in NO position to demand anything. They are not obliged to help us. It is also important to remember that the person we are dealing with may very well not have the authority to approve our request, and we may need for them to carry our petition "upstairs" and perhaps comment favorably on it to their superiors. This is MUCH more likely to happen if they LIKE us, and very unlikely to happen if they think we're rich arrogant pricks.

2) NEVER offer money or bribes to a public official unless you REALLY and I mean REALLY know the local system well. If at some point in the process you are informed that an "application fee" or contribution might ease the ways, the official will let you know. At that point you can decide within your own ethical standards what you want to do. Never assume you can just buy what you want. It is hugely disrespectful and arrogant. It is equivalent to walking up to a pretty woman in a bar and offering her money to sleep with you because you ASSUME she's a working girl. If you're wrong she's going to slap your face off and three bouncers are going to kick your ass. If money will help, and I don't believe that is the case here at all, THEY will let you know.

3) When asked for documents or documentation, provide it and don't bitch about it even if you think it's unreasonable. It's THEIR house and their regulations. Don't be upset because their requests seem to fly in the face of all "common sense". Your common sense and theirs are likely to be very different. They have reasons for everything they do, but their well founded reasons may not be understandable to you because you have insufficient understanding of their culture or their position within the structure. Our job is to make it as easy as possible to help us, and anything we can do to make their life easier will probably be worth it. Smile.

4) Always approach the situation with the attitude that I/(we) have a problem and I'm hoping that you can help me with it. Would you be willing to help me understand how to proceed and what I need to do next? Let's face it, when somebody smiles and humbly asks for help, we are generally open to seeing what we can do to help them out. It's basic human nature. It opens respectful lines of communication which are fundamental to advancing our cause. When we approach someone in a confrontational manner and start demanding things it seldom goes well.

5) Never lie, and never assume your counterpart is less intelligent than you and you can outwit him. You probably can't. He knows a whole lot more about what's going on than you do.

Sorry for the rant, but I felt the need to respond to some ignorant comments and ill informed advice that have been offered. Nothing personal.

Peace Out,
    Gordo
    HS0ZPC

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    KF4ZKU, DL4AD, SA6AXX and 13 others like this.
  4. HS0ZPC

HS0ZPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious how you know this... Have you been there?

DSC_2301.JPG

KF4ZKU, DL4AD, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  5. VK2SD

VK2SD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting article. My family and I are due to return to Cambodia in 2023, now that travel restrictions have lifted. I have operated HAM Radio in Cambodia over the years gone, last trip was pre COVID! I believe it has always been the case to notify the Telecommunications Regulator of Cambodia (TRC), Phnom Penh, of your intended HF rig you intend to use, what power and what antenna you intend to use. Prior to entering the Country, you complete and application in applying for your Ham Radio Licence being a - Form (6) - RADIO AMATEUR EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS. All the equipment will be documented on this form. You will also supply your passport information, a copy of your current HAM Radio licence, and where you intend to TX from. Arranging this is easier when you have Cambodian relatives that live in Phnom Penh!

However, this article indicates you need to include the “Type Approved Radio”, with subsequent test results for an EMC test report, health and safety test reports & radio frequency test report. I find this request a bit over the top for Cambodia! I understand Dave, ZL3AIK / XU7AKG, is trying to renew his licence, so I assume that the Telecommunications Regulator of Cambodia (TRC), would have a list of Type Approved Radio’s, they would allow you to bring. I would be asking the hard questions when you are at the office of Telecommunications Regulator of Cambodia! Come time to pay for the renewed licence, a few extra GREEN-BACK$ will go along way! HiHi…

I’ll be keeping an interest in this development and will make some enquires shortly with the office Telecommunications Regulator of Cambodia (TRC), Phnom Penh. I’ll be listening for your call Dave, XU7AKG. Good luck, 73’s

Regards Jaye VK2SD / XU7AME

US7IGN likes this.
  6. W2MFT/SK2023

W2MFT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Communist country! What can you expect...

KF4ZKU and KI8CO like this.
  7. W4AXW

W4AXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like yet another good reason to not go to Cambodia. Or Thailand.

KI8CO likes this.
  8. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This attitude we have as Americans is the very reason why other countries dislike us. We insist on acting like we're the best and everyone else has to follow and agree with us. Look folks, each country is free to do what they want whether or not we like it. We, as a country, has been forcing our beliefs on the rest of the world since the end of WW2. Who are we to be telling the rest of the world anything? Are we not sufficiently f-ucked up enough? Don't we have enough of our own problems and issues that we are in no position to be dictating anything to anyone? Lets stop being hypocritical and start paying attention to what's happening right in front of our own faces. Let the rest of the world handle their own problems.

SA6AXX, K0TWA and KC3JH like this.
  9. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, almost forgot, for those who say this sounds "shady", doesn't matter. They are free to do what they want. Our opinions mean nothing. Let them do them. How about we concentrate on fixing things here.

SA6AXX, K0TWA and KC3JH like this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

However, it is to the United States, and not to Cambodia, that millions of migrants aspire...

SA1CKE and W2MFT/SK2023 like this.
  11. KI8CO

KI8CO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was bound to happen in today's insanely politically correct radicalized mindset. It could also happen in Indonesia or Pakistan if they find a way to say
    Ham radio goes against the Koran. Radicalism is the new global out of control infectious virus.

W4AXW likes this.
  12. W2MFT/SK2023

I guess if you don't like it here you could always move to Cambodia...

SA1CKE, W1TRY and W4AXW like this.
  13. W2MFT/SK2023

Funny how refugees never go the other way isn't it! Anyone that has been to SE Asia knows what a S-hithole it is! Been there done that ...got the tee shirt...Don't need to repeat it...I mean we are talking about the country that brought us the Khemer Rouge, the killing fields, and 1.7 Million dead. So ND3U, don't lecture us about American attitudes...

W4AXW likes this.
  14. XU7AKG

XU7AKG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Jaye, yes, unfortunately things have changed in my 20 years working here. At present, there is no HF transceiver that has a Cambodian Type Approval and the new requirements from TRC, as of 2020, are that we can only renew our Licences if we operate a rig that has a Cambodian TA. So that's why we are trying to get a TA for the FT-891 and if successful, we will just use that type until more TA's are issued, which is not very likely soon due the cost. Once TRC accept the Conformity data we have gathered and given them for the 891, we will apply for the TA and hopefully are little group of resident amateurs will share the cost, as the only approved retail outlet here don't want to pay for the TA. If successful, we imagine visiting amateurs could then bring an FT-891 with them and apply for their Cambodian Licence. Will keep you informed Jaye and thanks for your good wishes. 73 Dave

KF4ZKU, DL4AD and HS0ZPC like this.
  15. N8VCL

N8VCL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't look now, but..."FCC Type Acceptance" ring any bells?
    ;)
    It's not the end of the free world.