ad: Flexradio-1

Cambodia bans the FT-891

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The big advantage of the Icom 705 is that at airports everyone thinks it's some kind of gadget or expensive toy.

N9FM and XU7AKG like this.
  2. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SDR radio without knobs and screen even better! But the question is not only to pass customs control but to operate legally.

When I applied for license in 7X country they wanted exact equipment model / serial no and even exact antenna description or model if commercially made and imported.
    Potentially it had to be locally approved as well with technical inspection by the regulator...
    So the station specs are "frozen". On top of that as locally there is not ham radio shops everything had to be imported with lot of constraints and specific licensing which explains why after two years I abandoned the project of operating my own HF station from there... Ham radio gear was considered as highly sensitive equipment that must be strictly controlled.

You can say that there are countries ham friendly and the others where especially foreign operators are not very welcome. Sometimes this is only a question to pay license fees and sometimes it's almost impossible to get there with a radio.

Each country may recognize FCC or CE certification or build a complicated system that will effectively get rid of radio amateurs... either foreign or even local ones.

KR3DX, HS0ZPC and DL6SEZ like this.
  3. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the USA, if your neighbors washing machines, is broke they blame the Ham Operator! No joke! All good!

I have a ton more stories, but I will save them for other posts!

DE NN2X Tom

K7IQ, G3SEA, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.
  4. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

That was your most considerate comment, I suppose?

Oliver,
    from Brazil

NE3J and 4X1ST like this.
  5. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

That headline... :D

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The U.S. is still pretty loose on this. Anybody can build their own transmitter, or their entire station, and if it meets 47CFR Part 97 emission regulations (which are not difficult to meet), it's perfectly legal to use anywhere in America.

Manufacturing multiple items for sale has some different requirements.

US7IGN, KC3JH, PY2NEA and 1 other person like this.
  7. HS0ZPC

HS0ZPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, that's fine. If like most Americans you never have or never will leave the US, then it is of course of no consequence to you... Unless of course you happen to be a DXer! A great many of the hams working from "rare" countries weren't born there, and many don't live there full time. These people frequently have to navigate Byzantine regulatory regimes to get a station on the air so you and your buddies in the local ham club can brag to each other about what far flung country you just worked.

I will add that this is not just a US website, and that there are lots of Amateurs all around the world who deal with this kind of stuff every day, and have to go to great lengths just to put a signal on the air. This thread is probably more for them.

HS0ZPC

KF4ZKU, N9FM, DL4AD and 8 others like this.
  8. KW4H

KW4H QRZ Lifetime Member #572 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While in the foreign service, I was licensed in Liberia (EL2FB) and Mauritania (5T5SR) back in the '80s. In both instances, getting the license and permission to operate was a bit of an ordeal, even as a US diplomat. It took various contacts, handshakes, additional (cough) "fees" (cough), etc. For the most part, the freedoms we have to operate here in the US are not replicated worldwide.

KF4ZKU, N0TZU, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.
  9. KC5NOA

KC5NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

After careful deliberation i have concluded that yes i could care less.

10. WM6P

WM6P Ham Member QRZ Page

Living in the U.S. we get to question whomever we wish. Is that you Hillary?

11. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Including the treatment of anyone associated with the diplomatic embassy! I believe anyone associated with the Elbonian Embassy here in the US can declare diplomatic immunity.

12. WD0BCT

Well isn't it? :D I think this what most non hams would call it. And perhaps 50% of hams?

DF9HC and US7IGN like this.
  13. WD0BCT

This is because we claim to pay attention to science but the lawyers outnumber scientist/engineers in this country!

KR3DX and PY2NEA like this.
  14. KB5ROD

KB5ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

A very backwards country. Hasn'ty changed since the Vietnam era

15. HS0ZPC

HS0ZPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? Perhaps you'd like to share some of your personal experiences in Cambodia... My experiences are quite different. I would say that Cambodia is a very poor country, but the Khmer people are some of the sweetest and most generous I have ever met. I cannot tell you the number of times traveling in rural Cambodia I was invited and welcomed into the homes of people who had almost nothing, but offered to share with me, a complete stranger.

DSC_2168.JPG

The government has not always been the peoples friend, but I have found them to be some of the most positive and optimistic people I have ever met, anywhere in the world. If I could describe their general attitude in a very few words it would read something like this...

Yesterday was very hard, today is much much better, I can't wait for tomorrow.

This is in a nation that had as much as 25% of it's population murdered in the death camps and prison farms of the Khmer Rouge in the period from 1975 to 1979. The Khmer people have know great and unimaginable hardship. I find their spirit to be amazing. Don't tell them nothing in their country has changed since that time. I believe that we in the"civilized" west have a lot to learn about life.

DSC_2171.JPG

I firmly believe that we, who have been blessed with so much can benefit greatly from experience and spirit of those who have been blessed with so little.

Gordo
    HS0ZPC

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    KF4ZKU, N9FM, N7NIT and 23 others like this.