ad: Alphaant-1

ARRL Contest and DXCC Rules Now Prohibit Automated Contacts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3VM, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3OP

VE3OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesting needs to move with the times. There should be a contest(s) for robot contesting. Pit robot against robot. This will help drive and perfect AI based contesting software, which in turn might help other uses (e.g. emergency communications).

VK3FNG likes this.
  2. K2LH

K2LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen brother!!

3. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft8 is a non skill already, but I could be wrong. I do not know for a fact, but it seems that alot of contesting on CW is done from a computer key board and not many are actually pounding the brass or even slapping the paddles and must be using decoding software, but again I could be wrong. I am sure I will get a boatload of hate mail now. Oh dear me.

N2RRA likes this.
  4. N2RRA

N2RRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a millennial saying that a challenge is too hard in modern times so everything should be easy. Why should we work so hard to get an award in a contest? Everyone should be a winner. Disgraceful! This is what you get when you introduce computers into a hobby built around intelligence and hard work. You dumb it down. Computers should be made to assist the operator. Not replace the operator. Yeah, the rules do need to be changed. All digital should have their own contest weekends. Keep FT8 away from SSB and CW contests. If anything, set a limit as too how many hours they use digital modes if you’re gonna combine digital with analog in a contest. If all challenges and contests of any sport category was to use a computer, or an android to replace the operator for a short period or long then is it still a competition? HELL NO. So why are we even considering it? SMH ‍♂️