ad: wmr-1

ARRL Contest and DXCC Rules Now Prohibit Automated Contacts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3VM, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

YES, AND DIFFERENT AWARDS FOR AUTOMATED STROKES. :)

K4XJ likes this.
  2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed.

KE9OL likes this.
  3. N2SYA

N2SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

The nice thing about us "old farts" talking about our ailments is that nobody has to listen if they don't want to! There is something for everyone in amateur radio - so why not have automated digital contesting? Someone still has to set up the equipment, tune the antenna to the frequency, learn the software, etc. I have fun with all the different modes, can't we all just get along?

EI8JK, KC1DR, KT5WB and 2 others like this.
  4. KE9OL

WOW I GOT DXCC FOR LEARNING A SOFTWARE PROGRAM AND TUNING MY ANTENNA. AT-A-BOY! (TOO BAD I HAD TO WATCH A YOUTUBE VIDEO FIRST) ;)

K4XJ likes this.
  5. AC7DD

AC7DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In my day, to get on the air we had to hike a mile to the ham shack, through drifting snow, uphill, both ways.

KG5DRV, KT5WB and KE9OL like this.
  6. KK4YBJ

KK4YBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The culture around us decayed rapidly. Is ham radio next? I love technical advances in radio machines, but REPLACE THE OPERATOR?

W7ASA and KE9OL like this.
  7. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck proving it cause I bet you I can "cheat" and you would never know it. But who cares its just a silly hobby that to many spend way to much money on. Put the little radio down and do something else.

8. KE9OL

GREAT! AN OPINION ON A TOPIC MOST TAKE SERIOUSLY FROM SOMEONE WHOS OWN QRZ WEB PAGE SAYS "I DON'T TAKE HAM RADIO SERIOUSLY ANYMORE". IT'S A BRAVE NEW WORLD.

K4XJ likes this.
  9. K0PG

K0PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chet, I just read your page. You seem like an interesting guy. Congratulations.

K0PG

KE9OL likes this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

If some one wants to "cheat" on awards, they can and will find a way to do so.
    All this whining about something that really has no effect on anyone except the "cheater".

If some one wants to tell the arrl that they followed the rules, and they didn't, it doesn't affect me at all.

There are more important things in life than some arrl piece of paper.[​IMG]

11. KF6FRR

KF6FRR Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO, the use of automated contacts for awards, should be prohibited! Reminds me of youth sporting events, where every body gets a trophy, just by participating. No work, no time spent perfecting a skill, no practicing your skill, just show up and get an award. Automated contacts are the same. Set your equipment up, make sure it is working, and leave it to its own. Go to the movies, go to the market, go fishing, or what ever. Come home and your set up has done all the work, while you were out playing at something else. No work, no time spent practicing and developing your skill and knowledge, just by setting up your equipment. Getting something for nothing.

KG5DRV and KE9OL like this.
  12. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. Hope I have never run beef through your yard before. hihi

13. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

who really cares about ft8 and other modes, there's is a cheater mentality here...if they can they will cheat.

my other problems is the geriatric crowd every time i turn on a repeater all i hear is guys talking about their aches and pains and body functions or how many times they go see the doc or some inflated annotation of living a healthy life and yet you can hear them in the back ground smoking a cancer stick in the background.

its no wonder that the young people dont want to get into this hobby its filled with a bunch of old timer talking about the past and how they did this and they did that........then they think they know it all especially when no one has had the balls to tell them that they been doing it wrong for years......

this is not a hobby for the young.....its a hobby filled with power driven individuals and people who think they own the air waves..........ive asked mysel so many times "what the hell would anyone see in getting into this hobby".

I feel at times im visiting a adult care facility...all this whining over the body aches and pains......please keep your aches and pains to yourself. i could give a crap abouit how your body feels or why your sick.

14. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

hmmm - must be a different frequency spectrum than I listen to. I generally have conversations, some of them excellent, some 'boiler plate'. I don't use FT* , WSPR or other mutual beaconing modes (though technically they are fascinating) because if I want SPAM or robocalls, I already have a cellphone for that.

I'm a radioman and there are several of us out there.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

SPAMradio - yup, there's an app for that.

K0UO and KE9OL like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BS.

If you hate your own species then don't engage with them.

K0UO, KS4TD and KE9OL like this.