ad: Sussex-1

ARRL Contest and DXCC Rules Now Prohibit Automated Contacts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3VM, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to work on digital just like it does in voice EXCEPT it puts the little guy on the same playing field as the guy with the 100 tower and big amp? Everyone seems to be going somewhere else and no one left to impress?

2. KD0QG

If they wanted them to 'gain experience and proficiency' then why the hell did they do away with the time needed to gain proficency with code? By the time you could upgrade you knew most of the test questions by experience.. $$?

KE9OL likes this.
  3. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

DON'T WORRY. I'M SURE THERE'S PLENTY OF ROBO-HAMS OUT THERE WHO CAN TEACH YOU HOW TO USE THE SOFTWARE SO YOU TOO CAN SET AND FORGET YOUR COMPUTER AND COME BACK LATER TO SEE HOW MANY NEW COUNTRIES, STATES, COUNTIES, ETC. YOUR COMPUTER HAS WORKED.

HEADPHONES OR TURNING YOUR VOLUME DOWN COULD HELP KEEP YOUR RADIOS FROM DISTURBING OTHERS IN THE HOUSE.

LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE EARNED DXCC WITH 100 WATTS AND A WIRE, NOT TO MENTION QRP.

I AM SO EAGER TO BE CONVINCED WHY AUTOMATED M2M CONTACTS SHOULD COUNT FOR DXCC. (AND CONTESTS) ALL I'VE HEARD SO FAR IS BECAUSE IT EXISTS, DXCC IS JUST A PIECE OF PAPER ANYWAY, AND NOW DIGITAL IS QUIETER AND DOES NOT REQUIRE AN AMP? :confused: WOW, SUCH COMPELLING ARGUMENTS.

4. KD0QG

The best I could see was the best signal gets the contact? Same way? DIFFERANCE-- it put the little guy on the same playing field as the guy with the 100 foot tower and big amp? It seemed that everyone was going this way and no one left to impress?

5. KE9OL

I AGREE, THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE DONE AWAY WITH THE CODE REQUIREMENT.

K4XJ and KD0QG like this.
  6. KE9OL

THIS SUBJECT OF THIS POST IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE IN THIS WAY:

MANY HAMS, MYSELF INCLUDED, GET OR HAVE GOTTEN FRUSTRATED WITH THE PATIENCE AND EFFORT REQUIRED TO EARN DXCC OR WIN A CONTEST. ALONG COMES M2M AND THE ROBO-HAMS HAVE FOUND THEY CAN NOW DO SO WITHOUT ALL THE PATIENCE AND EFFORT.

ME THINKS HE DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH.

7. KD0QG

So--- Maybe I get it? It isn't digital as much as being completely automated?. If that is it I don't think I could leave a radio all on to make contacts all it's own myself. ...Just forgetting to disable vox has caused problems? But someone will undoubtedly figure a way on voice also? -But how could you even know?- Though I haven't had much luck with the digital voice in do think it is the way of the future just as digital took cell phone away from analog? But it sure was interesting to see how weak signals could thrive when the sun is almost black of activity. It sure got a hell of a lot of interest from nearly everyone and I think it was a good thing that will familiarize and shape the future of ham radio
    Just as I remember first hearing SSB (Donald duck)? I guess I am from the days of tribander, amp and speech processor but it is amazing how a guy in a retirement community could do the same thing with less large equipment. ''The times are a changing'' 73..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    KE9OL likes this.
  8. KE9OL

ANOTHER GOOD POINT, I MADE A SIMILAR COMPARISON IN AN EARLIER POST. I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF THE CURRENT SOFTWARE IN QUESTION COULDN'T BE MODIFIED FOR USE WITH ANY/ALL DIGITAL MODES. IF NOT THEN NEW ONE WRITTEN WHICH COULD DO SO. 73. NO M2M! IMHO.

SIDE NOTE:

I'D BE ALOT MORE IMPRESSED WITH QRP GUYS AWARDED IF THEY WOULD NEVER MENTION THEY'RE OPERATING QRP UNTIL AFTER THE CONTACT IS ESTABLISHED. IT REALLY RUBS ME THE WRONG WAY WHEN I'M IN A HUGE PILE UP AND EVERYTHING STOPS SO THE GUY SCREAMING "QRP, QRP" INTO HIS MIC GETS MOVED TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE. :mad:

KD0QG likes this.
  9. KD0QG

I am afraid if I went off and left a radio operating all by itself that I would smell smoke when I got back? HI.. I guess I am from the old world where if I am the control operator that I am the one twisting knobs and making things work. Unless I am mobile I still believe in recording every contact no matter? But the new logging software sure helps me or I would have a hell of a time trying to read what I wrote anymore?

K0UO and KE9OL like this.
  10. AC8AZ

AC8AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well this is cut and pasted from the DXCC rules on the ARRL website. 9-9-2019
    d) Digital
    : Contacts can include QSOs using any/all digital modes, in any combination (except CW) since November 15, 1945. Digital modes include FT4, FT8, RTTY, PSK-31, JT65, etc. and any modes that are only machine-readable, and any that use computer sound card technology, with the exception of digital voice, which counts for Phone.

AC7DD likes this.
  11. KE9OL

FOR THOSE OF US IN THE CHEAP SEATS...IS THERE A POINT IN THIS POST? :confused:

K0UO likes this.
  12. KD0QG

Automatic send and receive by computer has been used in CW contests for a long time before SignaLink? RTTY has been around almost as long as radio itself? I think the big concern is the fad where everyone seemed to be on FT8 and no one left to play with in the old modes? But automation itself is really the big concern today where you may not even be needed to drive your own car. To do the job you used to have or to operate your own radio..

13. AC8AZ

AC8AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"FOR THOSE OF US IN THE CHEAP SEATS...IS THERE A POINT IN THIS POST? :confused:"
    Yes I do not see any thing that has changed in the DXCC rules section

14. KE9OL

ONE THING'S FOR SURE...THERE'S A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO DO. :eek:

15. KE9OL

HERE'S ANOTHER THING WHICH FALLS UNDER THE CATEGORY OF "THE LAW OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES":

FT8 - NEW MODE RESULTING FROM THE NORMAL ADVANCEMENT OF TECHNOLOGY. OK. NICELY WRITTEN SOFTWARE MAKING IT EASY TO USE. OK. WEAK SIGNALS PULLED FROM BENEATH THE NOISE FLOOR. OK.

RESULTS:

EVERY AWARD ON THE PLANET IN A MATTER OF MONTHS OR LESS. OUCH. HUGE DIVIDE CREATED AMONG AMATEUR OPERATORS. OUCH. :(