ad: Mountaingoat-1

Are antennas altered in the presence of carbon fiber masts?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KX4O, Mar 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What if the deer is playing an acoustic guitar? Say...oh, an Ovation Adamas with its carbon fiber top? ;)

https://www.ovationguitars.com/adamas

Odd this proliferation of video. It almost seems that some folks must think "reading is so 20th century!"

AK5CT, KE6MAK, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many people looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Those who have actual lessons to give just won't be bothered. Cannot say much more and tick of my guardian jannie.

N3FAA likes this.
  3. OZ1FJB

OZ1FJB Ham Member QRZ Page

so much tks. now I dont have to test it my self. vy73 de Lars oz1fjb - ou2v

4. WN1MB

Internet video proliferation aside and in all fairness to the OP, this is video was done well both in content and presentation. A tip of the hat is in order.

W1LJ, 2E0CIT, N1GKE and 2 others like this.
  5. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps less so, but always at least somewhat conductive and, hence, deserving of analysis. I made mention of alleged capacitive coupling between the short Carbon6 tubes based on the assumption the tubes don't have direct connection. If that's indeed true, HF will have less coupling, but always some. Just treat it as a conductor and plan accordingly. Keep that ladder line a bit away from it as well. Nothing wrong with the Carbon6 when used with its conductivity in mind. I love mine.

K4MID, AK5B and WN1MB like this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

They would be knowledgable deer picking a good guitar for outdoor use! :D

AK5CT and AK5B like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, sure beats the majority of vids posted. Great subject matter.

8. KJ7OTM

KJ7OTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you OP for posting this! I often suspend N9TAX with a fiberglass fishing pole, with excellent results.

I have also done it with bamboo poles.

This jus gives me even more confidence!

9. WN1MB

That must be some strong fiberglass fishing pole! Next time just try suspending one of his antennas.

K4MID, K6CLS and AK5B like this.
  10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Because there can be big differences between the materials,

Carbon-based resistors are made up of a matrix of carbon and clay particles in a ratio in order to offer a specified resistance. The carbon and clay work together to regulate the conductivity between the particles.

A carbon fiber material can consist of carbon fibers of varying length -- from very long to very short or even just little particles. These are immersed in a liquid plastic resin that is an insulator. So very short bits of carbon fiber, or fiber particles are not going to be very conductive as each bit will be well insulated; though they may show capacitance. Long fibers will conduct much better as they provide long conductive paths. Still, as mentioned before, it will depend on the layup, the fibers, and the ratio of fiber to resin.

AK5B likes this.
  11. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Common sense prevails!

AK5B likes this.
  12. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately not. Carbon as little particles offers no strength at all. For this type of application, carbon fibers are always applied as a woven mat and thus contains very long strands of carbon fiber. The epoxy resin used to bond everything together is isolating and it might even more or less isolate the strands from eachother but the strands remain as a long conductor.

KX4O likes this.
  13. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanna hangar story! 787? Last I heard were battery fires on 777's....had a nicad in a King Air B-90....

14. WF7T

WF7T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Something to consider as a request...I would be interested to see the results if you put a common-mode choke where the coax meets the twin-lead antenna, with another common-mode choke a quarter-wave down (at 144MHz) down the feed-line from the first one. Wonder if you would see the same results.

Common-mode chokes..search for K9YC...Jim has a great deal of practical info. I think a few #43 beads, or 3-4 turns through a larger core might provide good choking action.

Thanks for the vid! 73

15. KJ7OTM

KJ7OTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I often suspend the antenna from tree branches and other things, as it's intended.

The fishing pole is used to deploy the antenna as a mast, out in the open, where there is nothing to hang it from.

Attached Files: