ad: elecraft

Announcing QRZDroid - for your Android Device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VK7XX

VK7XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I am one of the complainers... And I complain because those adds cost me money. They may well earn you some income should they get clicked, but at my end, the cost me, whether I click them or not. Adds use data... and that data has to be paid for. I did not 'scream bloody murder' but I did say in my original post "shame it has adds". In your country, on your particular phone providers plan, maybe you can view these adds wihthout cost to you. In my country, on my providers plan, I have to pay.

regards
    John
    VK7XX

2. KB1TUR

KB1TUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great app Fred - thanks for all you do!
    I've been accessing the QRZ.com bookmark thru the internet connect on my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII for some time but this cuts to the chase - plus, it's reassuring to have the QRZ logo on the desktop!
    Cheers -
    Steve
    KB1TUR

3. K7NET

K7NET Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is it that someone that wants my details using the QRZ.com website must be logged in but anyone that has the new QRZDroid application working on their phone can easily get those same details just by entering a callsign?

It is true that my information is freely available elsewhere however QRZ.com is site most often used for Hams all over the world. If it takes a login on the site to see the details why not require the same on the app? It just seems as though it would have been a logical first step.

I like the speed and readability of the APP and I understand that nothing is truly free. As much as I like the APP I will remove it because of the ads. If given the choice between a paid app and an advertisement supported free app I will opt to pay a reasonable fee for the app just about anytime.

QRZ.com is one of the sites that I turn OFF my ad blocker as I want to show my support and also potentially take advantage of ads that pertain to the reason I am here.

I look forward to the pay version of the app as I too don't do ads on my phone unless it is during a browsing session.

4. K7NET

K7NET Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Had I kept reading.... (embarrassed)

Thanks for the update.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  5. K2TQN

K2TQN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said Fred. I guess this AP is going to force me to upgrade to a new wireless phone? I was hoping for Kindle Fire compatibility, please consider this too with your future plans. There are a lot of Kindle's out there, and I already have one of these.
    73, John, K2TQN

6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya know, reading all these posts about this "APP", makes me thankful that I have absolutely no idea what it is nor do I care what it is. My time is more precious than installing an APP on a razor, droid, kindle, Ipad or whatever where one can stay connected to QRZ. QRZ is not the alter of life.

You users need to get a life.

K2WH

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

All sounds good Fred although I don't have any of those devices.

Have you considered developing in PhoneGap rather than building a native application? It basically means using HTML 5 and Javascript etc to build cross platform apps but they still look almost exactly like native on each device. It may not be suitable for things like highly interactive games but I think it would be will suited to an app like this. PhoneGap apps are accepted into the iPhone appstore.

Kendo UI is another option I've heard great things about.

8. VE3IYB

VE3IYB Ham Member QRZ Page

Your device isn't compatible with this version LG P-999 Android 2.2.2 on WIND Mobile.

de Doug VE3IYB EN93ui ~ 60 miles SW of Toronto, Ontario, CANADA Eh?

9. CE3YP

CE3YP Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow ... works great on HTC Nexus One, Android V 2.3.6.
    Great job Fred !

10. N7NBB

N7NBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I could even FIND this app. It's NOT in the "PLAY STORE" at all, and when I visit the URL directly, the QRZ LOGO is there, but it reports APP NOT FOUND. Was this taken down for some reason. Was really looking forward to it.
    N7NBB

11. N7NBB

N7NBB Ham Member QRZ Page

K2WH:
    Since you seem to be in attack mode, let me respond in kind. It is obvious from your post you have no need to look up a callsign whilst "out and about". I see an in-state ham radio auto license, and like to look up the callsign to see where the person is from. We're at our club's coffee/breakfast, and someone says I heard this new call on the repeater XX7XXX, while I was headed in... wonder who that is ? ... When does so and so's license expire ? I talk to Bill all the time on the air, but what is his address ? So many many more things such as this come up almost daily. The database Fred offers is invaluable. To now have that information available at a club meeting, a restaurant, a Field Day site or any other location not TIED to a conventional computer is EXCELLENT ! This is a VERY USEFUL TOOL (App). (USEFUL, that is, to ANYONE who is involved in Amateur Radio Socially, or as an Elmer. Perhaps that is lost on some because they have lost or never had an interest in the social aspect of the hobby. To them the hobby consists of the falsified report of "you're 5/9 in South Philly. QRZ." Maybe they Don't go out an interact with other hams face to face. Maybe all they want from the hobby is to sit alone, at home, tied to a power grid and local Wi-Fi. Nothing wrong with that, either if that is where your interests lie. However to openly and directly castigate others for what they might perceive as useful to them, is VERY BAD FORM INDEED, sir.

12. N8EMR

N8EMR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not so concerned about the ads them self, but they are using my bandwidth to download the ads. So yes I am b---hing about something free!

13. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Fred. Now when I get a message from my cluster that a DX has hit the band, I can look them up too.

I don't understand the aversion to a little advertising. Either you pay for the app or you deal with the ads. People haven't worked for free since Lincoln freed the slaves. When broadcast TV was the only show in town, we dealt with ads, ad nausea. Cable gave us ad free programming for a short while and then they to added ads. I pay damn near $100 bucks a month for satellite TV and I still get ads - but luckily my DVR lets me skip through them. Even when I rent a movie I have to sit through previews.

14. K4ED

K4ED Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KD0KDT

KD0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Motorola Electrify. The screen size on my phone is a little larger than normal, so this app has a black box around the outside. It is disappointing the app doesn't sense the screen size and fill the full screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.