ad: Retevis-1

Announcing QRZDroid - for your Android Device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AD5WB

AD5WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Won't work with my 1 year old samsung infuse. Too bad. Great idea. Keep up the great work.

2. N5SPU

N5SPU Ham Member QRZ Page

How about availability thru Amazon app store.
    I dont do business with Google since they
    came in and forced the change to Google Play.
    The new format sucks in my book, and I dont
    like those kind of changes shoved down my
    throat. since then Facebook has been the next
    thing they have ruined. Any way I can get it
    elsewhere or download then sideload it into
    my android tablet and phone ?

3. N1TCB

N1TCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Fred and QRZ.
    Works great on my DROID X 2

Tim
    N1TCB

4. W8ES

W8ES Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Fred - Please make QRZdroid available for the Kindle Fire.
    TNX - W3HI

5. G0SLR

G0SLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just instaled it on my Galaxy ace, Works a treat

6. G1MHU

G1MHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Works on my HTC Desire HD and Samsung G S II
    Would love to add to the app wish list.. calculate beam heading based from a locator square or from GPS.. that would be great.

and .. an add to QSO.. that logs to a text file or to the QRZ log book.. so it can be used when our portable or when away from home etc.

7. KH2OP

KH2OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred. When do we poor iPhone blokes get this? Tnx es 73. KH2OP

8. N3JQD

N3JQD Ham Member QRZ Page

So where's the iPad app? It was out first and is still superior to any Android iteration.

9. W0MIL

W0MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Works great on HTC Thunderbolt. Thanks

10. W9YK

W9YK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the iPhone ?

11. KC4TVZ

KC4TVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We just ordered this Android 4.0 Tablet from Lightinthebox dot com, then I got hit in the head with my 10meter 5/8wave groundplane and was blind to the tablet for the last 2 months, so this QRZdroid app is cool and works ok for me, since I can now see the tablet again. One problem, it will scroll if I hold the tablet sideways. If I hold the tablet upright, it will not scroll and it needs to scroll... Is this a problem with just this 4.0 tablet or does everyone else have this problem?

Also, I saw on the cover of the QRZ someone has already created PSKdroid and RTTYdroid but they are from $5 to $6 per mode! I am looking forward to FREE versions of digital software to go mobile.

Thanks Fred for the FREE QRZdroid APP!

73 KC4TVZ Todd

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

I have two iPads as well as the Android Touchpad by HP. If you need any testing, let me know.

Charlie

13. W9SBE

W9SBE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent!! Works FB on my HTC Incred 2
    Thanks - Great job!

14. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To all the ones asking about wheres my iPhone / iPod / iPad app. I would love to see it on the iOS devices myself but you have to look at it from a programmers perspective.

You can develop Android apps on any os, Windows, Linux, and Mac.

To develop iOS apps you need a Intel based Mac, then you need a developer account, that starts out at 100 US dollars, provisioning rights on all the devices you want people to test it on. For that you need the device so you can load the profile from Xcode onto the device then push the app to it via wifi.

I have a developer account, I shelled out 600 for a mac mini, 100 for the developer account, 500 for the ipad, 400 for iphones.

iOS development isn't cheap..Give him time. If he wants he can push the source my way and I will be happy to port it over using my account and put it on the market.

Developing on Android is so much easier, and cheaper. That is why a lot of people are moving to droid.

In regards to the PhoneGap solution, from there website:
    "We're now able to offer support for building to iOS devices through PhoneGap Build. The process for completing iOS builds is slightly different than that for other platforms: all iOS builds need to be signed by a developer certificate and a provisioning profile, that is tied to your Apple developer account and the device you wish to test on. This document covers how to set this up.

Note: Since PhoneGap Build uses Apple's standard development process to build applications, you will need to sign up for their developer program to build iOS applications on PhoneGap Build. You will also need a Mac to configure your certificate and provisioning profile."

So for iOS either way you would need a developer account and a Mac.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  15. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

While your web based app is quite impressive I couldn't help but notice your choice of icons to use. Myself I would be worried about using copyrighted icons on my site.

Otherwise, very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.