ad: M2Ant-1

60m band is going away READ THIS today ?!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W7NIK, Oct 30, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder what band, or should I say radio service, did they frequent prior to operating on 60 meters?

N0NC likes this.
  2. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

What is sad not just now but in the last 40 years of Ham Radio is that insanity sticks its head out on every band...... regardless of band there is always that element of insanity

3. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will listen for you.

Got my dog in Columbiana

N3WVB likes this.
  4. N3WVB

My Humble Opinion 80 meters

5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

60M doesn't count for DXCC nor WAS awards so I don't use it anymore. :(

upload_2024-2-17_8-41-10.png

upload_2024-2-17_8-41-46.png

N3RYB likes this.
  6. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard this directly from a fellow that works at ARRL.He told me Hams would not lose the 60 meter channeel.BUT If trade is allowed on the bands it would cause so much QRM that it may kill it for us.Just what I heard.

7. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably U.S. Govt or military. The only listing I have from a very old list is Cape (Kennedy) Radio AFE-71 on 5350 USB.
    Tom WA4ILH

8. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a few CW QSOs on 60 meters, I kind of like it.

9. N3WVB

The 60 meter band is NOT going away. The FCC proposes a new allocation of frequencies to come in line with WRC-15. From the ARRL web site: "The FCC proposes to allocate 15 kHz of contiguous bandwidth between 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz on a secondary basis with a maximum power of 15 W EIRP (equivalent to 9.15 W ERP).Oct 30, 2023

Why The FCC is considering something so different from the new regulations in Canada
    is beyond me. I support the Canadian Regulations fully.

5351.5 to 5366.5 kHz in the 60 meter band: this is a new worldwide allocation.
    Canadian Amateurs are allowed to run a maximum of 100 watts ERP, using
    emissions with a maximum bandwidth of 2.8 kHz.

Wake Up FCC .... Keep the existing 5 channels and add more allocation at
    the 100 watt ERP. Seems like a no brainer to me.

[​IMG]

W1BR, K0UO and K5YDD like this.
  10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was under the impression that this wasn't something the FCC could do much about as 60 meters is a band that is "on loan" from NTIA. The relationship between the FCC and NTIA is complicated, at least to me, but it sounds like the RF spectrum is split between the two agencies, some of the spectrum is "owned" by the FCC and some "owned" by NTIA. Once in a while the two agree to share, but the sharing is rarely equal as one can still dictate limits upon the other.

If I'm mistaken then it would be helpful to have some clarification. I suspect that clarification would have to come from NTIA and they might believe it a low priority to give out any clarity.

11. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Tried 60 meters and didn't like it. I'll just stay on 20-30-40 meters with the occasional excursion onto 12 and 17. I'm not missing much, IMHO.

12. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Really folks, think about it. NOBODY is going to limit power to 18w ..... ! And having shared use with military/govt use practically guarantees loss of the band to us if a huge amount of users begin employing the band and causing problems with interference.
    The best scenario is finding a band segment everyone can live with, and utilizing 100 watt power limit. At least that gives a possibility of conformance by the majority of users.

13. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not bad, great for us QRP aficionados :)

N4AXE likes this.