ad: Mountaingoat-1

60m band is going away READ THIS today ?!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W7NIK, Oct 30, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7NIK

W7NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-urges-comments-to-fcc-on-60-meter-band

The FCC has extended the public comment period until 11/28/23 with replies to comments due 12/28/23.

ARRL The National Association for Amateur Radio® is asking that all radio amateurs urge the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to continue the existing use of the 60-meter band. A public comment period is open until November 28, 2023. Replies to comments are due December 28, 2023. ARRL encourages expressions of support to the FCC for the current 100 W ERP power limit (instead of reducing the power limit to 15 W EIRP) and continuing secondary access to the current channels.

ARRL has assembled a web page with instructions on how to submit your comments, as well as background information on the issue: www.arrl.org/60-meter-band.

To submit a filing of your comments for the FCC’s consideration in the rulemaking process, go to the FCC web page for the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking’s (NPRM) Docket Number 23-120 at https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/docket-detail/23-120.

If you wish to directly enter your comments, select the button labeled SUBMIT AN EXPRESS FILING or if you are uploading a document that contains your comments, select SUBMIT A STANDARD FILING. When submitting your comments, be sure the correct proceeding’s docket number, 23-120, is included on the form. Your name and comments will be entered into the official public record of the proceedings and will be viewable by anyone who visits the docket web page.

While radio amateurs are encouraged to include any comments they would like in their submissions, they’re especially encouraged to draw upon their personal experiences using the 60-meter band for public service purposes and for its location between the amateur 80- and 40-meter bands, which is critical to ensuring signal propagation to certain geographic areas during variations in time and the solar cycle. For example, ensuring radio amateurs have a continuum of communication capabilities across the 7 MHz, 5 MHz, and 3.5 MHz bands is valuable for emergency communications, especially between the US and Caribbean nations during hurricane season.

Some of the main points to comment on for this NPRM are:

• Urging the FCC to keep the four existing channels allocated to amateur radio on a secondary basis.
    • Urging the FCC to keep the 100 W power limit for the four existing channels and the new 15 kHz subband.
    ARRL Public Relations and Outreach Manager Sierra Harrop, W5DX, underscored the importance of commenting, urging members to speak up. “ARRL members make up the strongest voice in matters of amateur radio spectrum defense,” said Harrop. “Your membership and participation in the rulemaking process both ensure ARRL continues to make the difference when our band privileges are threatened. Please join us in effort to protect our 60-meter band privileges.”

Donate to the ARRL Spectrum Defense Fund: www.arrl.org/donate.

Read more:
    Comment Deadlines Set on Proposed 60-Meter Band Changes
    ARRL News | 10/04/2023

ARRL Advocates for Radio Amateurs as FCC Proposes Changes to 60-Meter Band
    ARRL News | 04/28/2023

World Radiocommunication Conference Approves Global 60-Meter Allocation
    ARRL News | 11/18/2015

About Amateur Radio and ARRL

Amateur Radio Service licensees use their training, skills, and equipment to practice radio communications and develop radio technology. Amateur Radio Operators volunteer their qualifications and equipment for communications duty in public service and during emergencies. Amateur Radio also provides a basis for hands-on STEM education and pathways to careers.

ARRL The National Association for Amateur Radio® was founded in 1914 as The American Radio Relay League, and is a noncommercial organization of Radio Amateurs. ARRL numbers within its ranks the vast majority of active Radio Amateurs (or “hams”) in the US and has a proud history of achievement as the standard-bearer in promoting and protecting Amateur Radio. For more information about ARRL and Amateur Radio, visit www.arrl.org.

TA1TRJ likes this.
  2. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The 60 meter band is NOT going away. The FCC proposes a new allocation of frequencies to come in line with WRC-15. From the ARRL web site:

"The FCC proposes to allocate 15 kHz of contiguous bandwidth between 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz on a secondary basis with a maximum power of 15 W EIRP (equivalent to 9.15 W ERP). This allocation was adopted at the 2015 World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15)."

Who here has used 60 meters for public service?? Just curious.

...........Bob

KQ1V, K4XJ, K0UO and 4 others like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Got on 60 meters way back when it was first authorized. Tried it, didn't like it, mostly because the ridiculous rules that we had to operate under. Never went back and probably never will.

This new set of even more ridiculous rules just serves to confirm my dislike of 60. Not because I don't think it's a good place for a new ham band. Not that it's our FCC / NTIA with their stupid rules that the rest of the world does not have to put up with.

30 meters is almost as bad, but it's at least usable and a good ham band for narrow band activities.

W1BR, WD4IGX, N3AWS and 3 others like this.
  4. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Never used 60M, but I do have a Paragon II that is fully opened for TX.... we really need some serious international supporters beyond our own FCC and ARRL to protect our bands. But my question is really this: what happens to the money donated to the ARRL in behalf of spectrum defense? Is there a special lock box, or does it end up in their general fund and end up paving the parking lot?

N0NC and TA1TRJ like this.
  5. KQ4GUI

KQ4GUI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it kinda is because what can you do with 9.5 watts eirp?

N3RF, KV5J, PY2NEA and 2 others like this.
  6. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't even tried it. The juice doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze the way it sits right now, so I'd be hard pressed to write a letter urging maintenance of the status quo without being disingenuous.

I love 30 meters.

HS0ZPC, AD2HH, N0NC and 3 others like this.
  7. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once I read the rules for the new 60m band, I knew I could never compete for one of the 5 channels allowed.
    So I'll never know what I was missing which means I won't care what happens.

WD4IGX, W1BR, N0NC and 3 others like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That doesn't say anything about it going away.
    There's the number of threads already on QRZ about this, do a search.

It's just open up for comments, which most of us made comments already the period for those comments have been expanded and the League supports band expansion and keeping existing channels.

N3AWS likes this.
  9. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

60M band proposal.JPG Why is this not on the front page of QRZ ? @AA7BQ ? OR Mods?

Pretty darn important topic...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    KA0HCP likes this.
  10. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

60m Band
    I have been on 60m since it's inception
    To me it has always been a band of challenge
    In the early days of 60 the 50w ERP made working all states
    more exciting and on 5403.5 was non stop with DX from Europe
    Due to it being USB working aeronautical mobiles "commercial pilots who were Hams "
    was a routing occurrence.
    Then the FCC gave us 100 watts ERP and strangely activity dropped
    The novelty of the band wavered and now the new proposal may diminish activity more
    Lets face reality it has always been more difficulty working stations on 60m compared to 40
    0r 80 with 1500 watts available to you on those bands.
    I hope the FCC takes another look at 60m maintaining 100 watts ERP is not asking for much

[​IMG]

Looking for 60m Contacts On A Daily Basis

11. ZL3OF

ZL3OF Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite a lot actually, I have worked 42 countries including Europe and Scandinavia. I am particularly pleased with contacting JW4PUA Svalbard.
    Most of those countries if not all, including ZL operate under your proposed "new rules" that some think are ridiculous.

Have also worked 17 states including states as far away as Maine and Rhode Island so WAS on 60m is definitely possible with 15w EIRP.
    Signal reports from U.S.A. were often similar both ways so 15w at my end and possibly 100w at the other station often made little difference, although sometimes it did.
    Mode was FT8 on 5357kHz. Antenna was 60m EFHW in inverted vee configuration with the centre about 10m high.
    SSB POTA type operation on 5363kHz was also popular in ZL for a while but not so much recently.
    Apart from POTA activity most activity is via greyline propagation.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
    N0NC likes this.
  12. N3WVB

I have worked the world during amazing conditions on 1 wattt and I am being serious 100mw on many bands.
    Unfortunately those conditions are rare in the days of Cycle 24 qnd 25
    Unlike me few can install a 530 foot loop with number 10 wire and UV protected insulation at 75 feet in the air.
    100 watts is reasonable and The FCC needs to ask why 15 watts is even on the table.
    Just my opinion.

13. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

We're certainly not losing 60m here in Britain !

I find it a really nice band for working other British stations during the day.

Often 80m propagation isn't very good . . . and on 40m the skip is too long.

But on 60m it's just right !

Another plus (for me) is that a 160m Dipole is a good match on 60m, as each leg is close to 3 quarter waves.

Roger G3YRO

W7ASA and KD2BRM like this.
  14. N3WVB

The joke is that The FCC would even ask The Ham Community to consider such a ridiculous proposal.
    Why not just ask us to use rubber duckies on all bands with ERP of 1 watt
    Who in their right mind would actually be ok with the new 60m restrictions
    The FCC is not in reality
    Any HAM would of said the same as The ARRL
    One more thing
    To even think that The FCC is worried about Community or Public Service is laughable
    This is 2024 not 1936

[​IMG]

KA1ULN and WD4IGX like this.
  15. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a user. I posted my observation that the digital guys would fire up right on top of you with massive signals.. I had hostile messages over that and these persons came right out and said because the FCC was not enforcing the rules meant that what they were doing was OK. I quit using 60 meters.

N0NC and KC3PMJ like this.