ad: QSLWorks-1

13 Colonies

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K5UYN, Jun 28, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know when K2f will be on next on phone on what band that’s all I need for all 13.

2. K6GP

K6GP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It took all 7 days, but I finally got all 13 of the colonies, no special stations though. I got 1 on 40 SSB, 1 on 15, SSB, the rest on 20 SSB.

This morning I was only down K2H and was gripping hard to get it. I’m not very comfortable with my CW skills yet, especially in a pileup, but I was really trying to get all 13 so I figured I’d give it a shot. Fortunately no mistakes this time on my end sending my call and report, but I did forget to send my state CA. His report was taken out by some QSB. I know he heard me and I heard him, but don’t like to cheat myself or event, so I stuck with it throughout the afternoon until I got a “by the letter” proper contact with K2H on 20 meter SSB.

What a great event though! This was a lot of fun. Much respect and gratitude to all the people that put in the time to make this event happen.

K5UYN likes this.
  3. KG5BJV

Found him on 7.239 waiting my turn!

K5UYN and K6GP like this.
  4. KG5BJV

Got him for a clean sweep! Is there a different certificate for a clean sweep?

K6GP likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No - if you look at the 13 Colonies site, you get a mark for every station you work. So a clean sweep will have all 13 filled in, and if you also got the 3 bonus stations they will be filled in as well

Same certificate for all.... even if you just worked a few, you can still buy a certificate just like the Route 66 event

Dave
    W7UUU

6. K6GP

Yes, the behavior of some of the responding stations was downright despicable. It’s one thing to be a taildragger or tailender. In fact some of the 13 stations would ask for every to slow down, spread it out and they would often pick the last station that called. That’s okay. The problem is the people that just keep repeating their call sign over and over while both the other stations are exchanging reports. The problem is also compounded by the people that use a recording of their call sign and keep smashing the send button non fregin’ stop.

Sadly, I looked up some of the most egregious line crossers. Pretty much every single one was an Extra class. And almost all of them were licensed in the ‘70s or earlier. This wasn’t recently licensed hams acting a fool. This was people that have been around a long time. They should know better, they do know better, but rules and common courtesy don’t apply to them in their mind.

VE6CLG, W4POT, K5UYN and 1 other person like this.
  7. KG5BJV

I worked 11 on 20m ssb 100 watts indoors on a portable dipole!

K5UYN and N8SAN like this.
  8. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Licensed in the ‘70s or earlier means born in the 50's or before. A bunch of old men in their 60's-80's. Dementia? Simply forgot what they were doing and got stuck in a loop!

9. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yipeee! K2F on 14260! Number 13!

I'm over 50 and I felt like a kid when I got that one. Down to the last couple hours to get it too.

TM or GB would be great. But time is short.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    K5UYN and K6GP like this.
  10. K6GP

True. Or they think they’ve paid their dues and don’t have to get into the rotation like everyone else. I hate to say it, but often it’s best if the calling station takes their call, just so they leave.

K5UYN likes this.
  11. N2RIC

N2RIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a good time in this year's event. I got all the US stations on 40m CW, and TM13COL on 20m CW. Never heard GB13COL, even using the RBN to spot him. I would hear a lot of people calling , though. Sometimes the dits and dahs were just one noisy mess.

I'll try again next year, maybe with a better antenna set up at home.

K5UYN, KO4CQ and KJ7ZEI like this.
  12. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

I managed a few contacts. Certainly not as many as when I lived in the mid Atlantic.

GA station must have severe noise issues as I called and others called and K2G kept calling CQ.

K5UYN likes this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I know I had a blast in this one ... and it sounds like MANY fellow hams had a great time too!

Very fun event - and having propagation back really makes it more fun for all

Thanks to all the folks who make 13 colonies what it is :)

Dave
    W7UUU

VE6CLG, K5UYN, KJ7ZEI and 1 other person like this.
  14. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked as a K2J op and can tell you, the lack of courtesy is in all the ranks.
    Even among the event ops.
    NC has won the event the last couple of years and there seemed to be a concerted effort to QRM K2J ops.
    EVERY TIME I got a pile up going at least one of the same 3 states would park on top of me and start calling CQ.

W4POT likes this.
  15. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

and that is your right, being fairly new to all the modes/bands that have popped up since I was on a "forced" sabbatical, I find FT8, FT4, JS8 and the rest to be a lot of fun. I also like SSB when I have the time to spend prowling the bands, but I'm not at the point of relearning CW. I did it once many years ago but that knowledge has been pushed out of my brain in the intervening years and replaced with other things that are more relevant to my professional life. That definitely doesn't mean I won't go back and relearn CW, it just means it's fairly far down on the "to do" list.

K5UYN likes this.