ad: CQMM-1

Parks on the Air (POTA) Announces New Annual Plaque Event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 27, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA0LJM

WA0LJM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The more I read the comments the more I'm likely to side with the "No POTA CONTEST" side of this discussion.
    Dave J
    WAOLJM

2. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

M0TTQ, W9EBE, KC5HWB and 1 other person like this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

POTA contests are using the WARC bands?! What the…

4. W6WR

W6WR Ham Member QRZ Page

The slippery contest no contest slope is a threat to those who like to come home on the weekend and rag chew on WARC. Of which I am a proud member. POTA man or woman can show little Johnny the wonders of ham radio and spread the love on the non WARC bands. Best of 73 W6SLA.

KT4RAM likes this.
  5. KE8QJV

KE8QJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently you are special and no one else knows about it but I have to break it to you, outside of the Plaque Event, WARC bands will continue to be used, just like they have been for the last 7 years. You have no more or less rights to them than anyone else. Telling people they can teach little Johnny somewhere else, also applies to you and your rag chewing....it can happen somewhere else. SMFH!

6. W6WR

W6WR Ham Member QRZ Page

You are obviously a very important person. WARC and a contest prohibition works based on a gentleman's agreement and there are few gentlemen left IMHO. I am a nobody. I am sorry to voice an opinion and think somewhat independently. I have no rights to any of it, and no rights at all on weekends with contesters. Now if you don't mind I will move on with life. BTW have no idea what smfh means.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    KT4RAM likes this.
  7. KE8QJV

Outside of the Plaque Event weekend, which is once per year, POTA is not contesting, which is why people are free to use the WARC bands on the other 363 days of the year.

KQ1V and KC5HWB like this.
  8. N3KAE

N3KAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep the Plaque Event, the Plaque Event - Too late now to unscrew it from being the 2023 Plague Event

9. KE8QJV

It's really not much different from previous plaque events. I'm not sure what some people are getting excited about unless they never knew the event existed before.

M0TTQ likes this.
  10. N3KAE

No - Not at all - Uh What?

11. KB0TTC

KB0TTC Ham Member QRZ Page

hey guys it's a contest by definition, weather you like the fact or not!! they keep a record of the number of contacts for a ranking system and that defines it as a contest!! I'm not going to live in denial...

KT4RAM, KE0GXN and K9TDW like this.
  12. N3KAE

My 2c - I believe this is a bad decision probably pushed by a small group trying to solve yet another problem that doesn't really exist. Neither POTA nor WWFF (OMG I said Voldemort) are contest clubs. Regardless of their broader differences and similarities, they are this planet's only two Park Programs and they are enjoyed as such by many, many, Hams. By their very design neither one was ever intended for contesting because only one-half of the participants submit logs which dictates the successes and failures of the other half. That makes Activators almighty and contesting simply does not work that way. There needs to be a checksum from the other side.

AE8EM likes this.
  13. VE7VXO

VE7VXO Ham Member QRZ Page

From the POTA website:

https://docs.pota.app/docs/award_events/plaque_event/plaque_event.html

“We have consistently been asked to create an opportunity for our activators and hunters to participate in a competitive event."

Non radio enthusiast: "Competitive event? Is it some kind of a sporting event?"

Amaterur radio guy: " No they are competing with their radios."

Non radio enthusiast: " Oh I get it, so it's a radio contest."

Amaterur radio guy: " Yeah. Wait. No...no it's not a contest."

KT4RAM and K9TDW like this.
  14. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hammy radio. It's a dead hobby. Might as well shut all the repeaters down." - I won't credit who said it. So if the park hammies keep the hobby going, isn't that a good thing?

Meh, I think I'll go blast 500 w of CW on the phone portion of 40. Just kidding.

VE7VXO, KE8QJV and W9EBE like this.
  15. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. It. IS.

I'm afraid I'm perplexed at this whole back-and-forth thing going on here. ???

POTA = Fun
    The Plaque Event = Fun
    The Plaque Event = Non-WARC bands participation

"So, what's the problem?," I ask myself rhetorically.

Perhaps some of you need to abandon your computers for a while and -- wait for it -- actually get on the air! I would, but it's storming here in southern IL at the moment. I may be stupid, but I ain't THAT stupid. hi

73 es ZUT,
    Chip W9EBE

KE8QJV likes this.