ad: QSLWorks-1

The RF-Seismograph measures massive radio blackout during California earthquakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, are you just trolling, or do you really believe that? If you believe it, then you need to learn about earthquakes, which are not caused by subsidence of soil above low aquifers. They caused by motions of massive plates along fault lines. See for example https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know how fault lines create earthquakes, but couldn't it be that there was a "stable" fault-line and that by removing all the weight of the water made it release a M7.1 quake. Here is a map that shows how much the areas in California sink!
    California has always been a hotbed of earthquakes and I start to wonder if subsidence is also a major contributor to them. This is not a new issue, California is just one of many places in the world were this happens. On the west coast you have fault lines and subsidence. A deadly combination...
    A

[​IMG]

3. N0TZU

No.

4. K6LVD

K6LVD Ham Member QRZ Page

the real question to be answered by both sides,which won't be!

How did the rf-seismograph pick up the earth quake
    How did that happen if something was not distorting the rf fields?

Doesn't make any difference to me as it does not affect my life, even though I live near a fault zone.

Due to local noise, plus atmospherics I mostly can not hear any one of 40 meters during the day, perhaps it is because there are too many computers and I phones on the air. LOL

And please ignore the mistakes as I am 96 years old and have been a ham for 70 years or so.

W0GPR and VE7DXW like this.
  5. VE7DXW

You are missing the picture. If it is just a regular line there would have been a big quake and maybe a few aftershocks.
    Where do all the small quakes come from? That is definitely different from a usual fault line!
    A

6. K6LVD

K6LVD Ham Member QRZ Page

there are as many different types of fault lines as there are beliefs in religion. And each time something big happens people change the definitions. Geology is a big subject in the matter.

7. N0TZU

Believe whatever you want, it’s a free country.

8. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Water table changes can sometimes have effects near the depths where water reaches, but are you seriously suggesting it caused a strike-slip quake 10km below the surface?

What do you think the water table effects were in the other M6+ quakes this week (Molucca, Queen Charlotte)? The previous week (Marianas, New Zealand, Panama, and Russia)?

9. VE7DXW

Yes I do; it works like a solenoid valve were you can cut off a lot of pressure with very little force. Now that the lid is off, who knows whats next. Just have to wait and see...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I have eaten chicken at least once in the month preceding every magnitude 5.7 earthquake on the planet. I ate a chicken burrito at the Moffett Field cafeteria, and flirted with the waitress, the DAY BEFORE the 1989 Loma Prieta quake. I ate chicken on the 4th of July!

Predict quakes before they happen and you'll get people's attention. Post event correlations won't get you a discount on coffee.

Your efforts may not be totally futile. I know a guy who spends his days writing lottery numbers in notebooks. Some of his numbers turn out to be winners. He has a shopping cart full of composition books with tiny numbers printed on every bit of paper. After a drawing he marks the winning numbers. With this "evidence" he is able to make a living selling "winning lottery numbers".

N0TZU and WN1MB like this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine. But are you absolutely certain it was the chicken and not a side dish that caused the quakes? PLEASE report back with more evidence. And to the residents of southern California: OBEY THE CHICKEN MORATORIUM UNTIL FUTHER NOTICE!

K7GYB likes this.
  12. N0TZU

Ah, but was it grilled chicken, or fried chicken? It makes a difference you know.

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy fix: install more water tables

[​IMG]

N0TZU and KA0HCP like this.
  14. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

An "RF-Seismograph". Okay, exactly what is that?

15. VU2DK

VU2DK Ham Member QRZ Page