ad: k1jek

The RF-Seismograph measures massive radio blackout during California earthquakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, I’m not the one taking data and claiming an association. The burden of analysis to support your claims belongs to you.

AE8W likes this.
  2. K4MJA

K4MJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no ionosphere there ^^^^

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. W0KDT

W0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

@VE7DXW, what is the theory on a physical mechanism that could result in this supposed correlation? And what is the correlation coefficient and standard deviation resulting from your observations? Sorry if you posted it and I missed it. This concept is all new to me.

Edit: I missed this "Why is it so difficult to prove that earthquakes have electromagnetic properties?" on the first pass. This is not the way science is done. Scientists do not set out to prove something. They set out to test hypotheses.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps we could provide an alternate explanation of events:
    -Earthquake
    -Everyone in SoCal QRT's and runs out of the house or to the television
    -HF bands are silent.

Ahem.

AI3V likes this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I get where you're coming from... :p but after living in SoCal for many years, I know that usually the repeaters light up after a quake. There's the California Rescue Net on 40M that I used to participate in, for example. If that net came up after the quake on 40M yesterday, it would defiantly call into question the claim that "A massive shortwave radio blackout continues to disrupt the Pacific West of America! "

6. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

These emergency nets on 40 m use tropo scatter which will give you communication of a distance of about 200 to 300 miles despite the condition of the ionosphere. They are very reliable in emergency situations, but are limited to local propagation only.
    Any propagation requiring skip stopped. We measured it!

Alex - VE7DXW

7. VE7DXW

Excellently my point! A

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of claims there.

How do you know earthquakes create megawatts of RF energy, and at what frequencies? And if so, how do you know where it goes, let alone specifically to the ionosphere? How would it escape the many, many miles of earth between the earthquake locus and the surface? Or is it generated at the surface by some mechanism?

What “field dome” and “field lines” are you talking about, and why would they cause RF propagation in a vertical direction?

How are changes in noise determined in a quantifiable way? Is it some difference from a baseline over a specified period? How was the period and the difference in magnitude determined? And how is the baseline determined in the first place?

How were the particular earthquakes chosen for analysis because there seem to be too few (per question in another post above)?

Even if you were to show a good positive correlation after a proper analysis, that is a long way from showing that earthquakes actually cause the noise changes. Yet you claim they do, so what evidence supports this?

9. VE7DXW

10. VE7DXW

[​IMG]

The image below shows how magnetic field lines of an earthquake reach into the ionosphere and disturb or bend the layers, breaking existing radio paths or creating new ones. The signals which the RF Seismograph receives drop out, or new connections only last for a few hours while the quake is active.

11. VE7DXW

This is the beautiful thing of the RF-Seismograph; when you measure propagation all that matters is S/N ratio - because it is a ratio absolute measurements do not matter! Your baseline does not matter because if you calibrate your antennas properly the receiver works.
    When a signal strength is given the absolute value is not important to determine the fact that the signal is Q = 5. If the signal you are receiving is S5, but your noise level is S8, you still will not be able work the station. A.

K7GYB likes this.
  12. VE7DXW

You made a claim that there are 500 M6+ per year in your post, your claim is wrong! There are only about 50 to 60 per year and if you would have read my posts you would have read that there were 171 M6+quakes that we looked at and these were all of them. The list is on the group and it can also be downloaded from USGS.
    We did not choose the quakes we looked at all of them.

So next time; check your facts before you make a lot of claims of yourself!!!

Alex

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    K7GYB likes this.
  13. VE7DXW

Our conclusions are based on a 4 year study and 171 events that we measured and recorded. And now we have started to provide earthquakes updates on a almost real time bases. Every time there is a strong quake we can see the difference in propagation.
    Now we have looked at almost 200 quakes and a pattern is emerging, with regards to propagation.
    Everything is on line at our user group. Please join and please educate yourself....

All the best;

Alex

K7GYB likes this.
  14. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that I, not N0TZU, made the claim that there should be about 500 M6+ quakes in a four year period. It was based on the USGS statistics in the link I posted.

Review the USGS statistics, and tell me when there was a year with 50 or 60 quakes of M6+.

15. VE7DXW

You are right - our list is incomplete... we will start to compile more data and update our list.

Thank you for pointing this out!

A