ad: TinyPaddle-1

GRE stops making scanners -- Radio Referencee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA5S, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Radio Shack at the moment seems to be at least trying in the DIY area (Arduino, etc...) but I don't know how much interest or follow-through has developed amongst those of us who've bemoaned RS's up-til-now desertion of this area for cell phones and other things.

As for GRE - it's not unheard of for things to look "normal" (big display at Pacificon, etc...) right up to the instant Corporate drops the hammer down.

2. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To TOM, K8ERV

Franklin Furnace, Ohio is located on U.S. RT. #52 East from Portsmouth, New Boston and Wheelersburg....Next town on 52 east is Ironton, South Point......hope this gives you some idea where this little mite town is....lol

N8YN

3. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

More and more governmental agencies are going encrypted. I work in public safety radio, and heck, even us technicians have encryption. I think the new Moto APX radios have ADP for a $1 option now with one key, you can load via RSS.

4. WA2OLZ

WA2OLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that! I needed a SO-239 barrel last weekend. I called the local Rat Shack before driving up there. They had no idea what a coax connector is, never mind an SO-239.

It is a business reality that there is insufficient demand to support them being an electronics shop, but c'mon, even the chicken band guys need connectors at times!

"At Radio Shock you have questions; We have no clue"

5. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Question: As anyone on this forum taken 5 minutes to call GRE and either confirm or deny the story?
    No? Why not?
    Oh, wait a minute: If it was printed on the Internet it "must be true... NOT!!!"
    Don't worry: You can all sit there and ruminate over an Internet rumor. Ill do your job for you and will have the information -- hopefully -- in next weeks Amateur Radio Newsline report.

6. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Went to RS today to scoff up a few marked down scanners. The manager told me that there are free apps for the cell phones that do a great job as scanners. Scanners like cameras are becoming obsolete due to the technology in the smart phones.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.They had a great booth and were open for business.

Chip W1YW

8. KG6JIY

KG6JIY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had 2 conversations with a tech at GREAmerica, I have an Alinco power supply in for repair. The rumors are true, the firmware team that was working on the 1.7 beta upgrade for the PSR-800 were all let go and people from some other divisions were also let go. I'm a transplant from Silly-Cone valley, I lost my job at Nokia, 8 years ago and when one shoe falls the other one is not too far behind. I hate to see anyone get laidoff. I just come off unemployment after six months with not too much in the way of jobs here in Wyoming.

9. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WA6ITF.......A little huffy there Bill????....

N8YN

10. K1FBI

...some people are destined to wind up with egg on their face:rolleyes:

11. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

Those apps (I use the app "Scanner Radio" on my Android phone) still require someone to have an actual scanner set up in your area of interest and on the frequency you want to listen to and to stream it to the Internet (often via RadioReference.com). It doesn't turn your phone into an actual "police scanner" radio receiver.

12. K1FBI

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll pick one up then. The scanner race (noise cancelling) headphones are 70% off... quite a deal!

13. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack employees are normally clueless about the radio stuff they sell but this is beyond stupid. If a manager had told me that I doubt I'd been able to stop myself from slapping him right across the face for talking such stupidity. Fracking moron.

14. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Rather as someone who has done news all his life I have learned the way not to have egg on ones face is to never believe anything posted on the Internet unless I or one of my associates have personally vetted the information. Its the responsibility of news reporters to do so as opposed to bloggers who simply post whatever comes to their mind -- true or not -- under the guise of it being news worthy and permitting rumor to take on a life of its own as "truth" without any accountability to those who might be affected by an erroneous item.

15. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member QRZ Page

It still doesn't make since to belittle everyone else for their posts!

Some of these guys may be right, but to slap them in the face as if they have no clue is just disrespectful. I dont care how many years you have been doing journalism. Besides that, all the true journalists, (Not slamming you, I know many want to be's also) I know are much more skewed in their writings then most, so tell me again about vetted stories. again, you speak of one side with partisan as if you know everything, and report what you think is important, or factual, so where is your proof? Why not just lay ALL the facts out and allow the people to read for themselves?

Just a thought, after all we have once well respected reporters, and journalists that came clean on facts being untrue and fabricated to push their truth, NY Times comes to mind!

As for GRE, I love their products. If the rumors are true, you can bet there will be a spike in price on "E-slave", "Cragslist of thefts", and all other forums that allow such sales.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.