ad: AbAuRe-1

GRE stops making scanners -- Radio Referencee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA5S, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen Chris, KF6NFW.....I could not have said it any better myself! I also love GRE products and when I saw the post I just wanted to express how I felt about their product line. I don't believe everything on the internet nor do I believe everything I see in print or hear on radio and television news....I have listened to NEWSLINE for years and enjoy it very much. I appreciate the work they do and I was shocked to see that someone connected to it had that attitude.

N8YN

2. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe I am clueless here, but I don't understand your point in wanting to slap this guy silly. His info was correct regards smartphone apps that act as scanners.. I have a couple of them. Granted, they require a feed, nonetheless they work quite well for my limited scanner needs.

3. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's what came across my screen -- now the interest is stirred up, more people are looking into it.

Might actually be so, too, at least from the later comments.

Cortland
    KA5S

4. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Lastest update: As of this morning I have ascertained that most of the information about GRE is true. More important to ham radio is the good news that Alinco sales and service will be totally unaffected. Alinco will remain in Belmont CA. with the same people providing sales and service. So Alinco owners or perspective buyers need not worry.

The big question that remains unexplained is why GRE -- which was the worlds largest scanner radio OEM manufacturer -- with little real competition in the industry -- should suddenly "fold its tent" -- so as to speak -- and disappear. Nobody seems to have been able to pin this down. I have asked one of my key reporters -- Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, to take on the story and to try to find out the actual reason that GRE in Japan decided to suddenly close shop. There is a lot of speculation on this aspect of the story but no concrete facts. If and when we get anything Ill update this forum.

5. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Bill....

N8YN

6. KK7JWQ

KK7JWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found only one exception to this, it is one about 5mi away from my house and 3 of the employees (at least one of them is working every time I go there) know quite a bit about all the components and other things they sell.

7. KK7JWQ

KK7JWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the double post but here is the official press release.
    http://www.greamerica.com/support/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=38

GRE Official Announcement 10/23/2012

October 23, 2012

To our valued Dealers and Customers,

Due to circumstances beyond its control, General Research of Electronics of Japan (GRE)
    is temporarily not able to manufacture the GRECOM and Radio Shack branded radio scanners.

The Chinese Government’s plan to redevelop the area where the GRE factory had been in
    operation for over ten years finally forced its closure. Anticipating this eventuality,
    GRE was in the process of building a new factory but unfortunately the cost of raw materials,
    labor and increased taxes created a heavy financial investment burden that could not be
    effectively recovered.

GRE America continues to market, support and service the GRECOM branded scanners and is
    contractually committed to keep the Library Database updated and current. GRE America
    will continue to market, service and support Alinco’s radio products without any interruption.

We sincerely apologize for this unfortunate turn of events. GRE is proceeding to establish
    a contract with a new factory and believes it will be able to restart the manufacturing in
    the near future.

For continued sales, service and support, please contact the GRE America office.

Raj Gounder
    Director of sales
    GRE America, Inc.

8. KB1YSQ

KB1YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Similar thing happened with Mackie (pro audio equipment manufacturer) a few years back - their manufacturer in China closed down for some reason. (Perhaps something similar to this).

They were eventually back up and running, but for a while it was very hard to get any Mackie equipment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.