ad: Flexradio-1

Amateur Radio contacts between Georgia and Russia cease

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. UT4UT

UT4UT Ham Member QRZ Page

I even deny the right of government to impose restriction on ham communication with whoever the wish to QSO. I recall to communists times in the former USSR, where it was banned to contact with Israel stations (officially, if I am not mistaken, it was imposed after victorious 6 days war on surrounding Arabic countries, as sign of solidarity with suffered Arabic nations). Second restriction was for Military hams, they had no rights to have QSO with colleagues from South Africa. The reason was not clear. HAMs rumored that it is due to Apartheid there. On the other hand it was loudly and publicly declared that Soviet hams are out of political events. Typical hypocrisy.
    There is only one reason to limit ham radio activity. It is if country with war and only for information security reason, not political. But even those is relative thing with today’s internet means.
    Considering Georgia-Russia conflict, we HAMs shouldn’t be victims information wars. Whatever we see and hear on TV and Radio has little to do to the reality. So, make you contacts with Russians and Georgians without limits and SAME time you can protest near Russian/Georgian embassy or express your solidarity there, but don’t bring it to HAM radio.

2. N7IC

N7IC Ham Member QRZ Page

A thought about a new cold war....

Ohhhh, I hope the Russians do not bring back the dreaded woodpecker!! :eek:

3. KC4GFW

KC4GFW Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Our country (the U.S.) agrees (by treaty) that IF another country's government formally notifies the ITU that Amateur exchanges are not to occur,between their country and others, (and I believe specific other countries may have to be designated) such a ban WILL be announced and enforced. I won't argue or debate the moral value or whether it's right or wrong in a larger sense, but it IS the "law," here in the U.S., and probably in most other countries. (It's also an obligation to Amateurs in the country demanding a ban to not try to contact Amateurs in countries with which their government has prohibited, but that is an internal matter in their country, and I presume toe consequences could be serious.)

I agree, that political issues should NOT interfere with Amateur activities. The current issue is apparently NOT due to security reasons (or else it would be a governmental shutdown of Amateur Radio in Georgia in time of war, [wihich is a possibility with Amateur Radio even in the U.S. if a state of war is delared and the President demands radio silence]) but instead is an emotional response by a civilian organization to a political situation.

5. WA9SVD

It wouldn't if people focused on the Amateur Radio issue, and not argue or debate the political conflict. I don't know who is right and who is wrong in the issue; there are probably more issues and details we will never know. So it's best to limit the discussion to the effect on Amateur Radio. Apparently, some people can't (or don't) grasp that concept.

6. KC4GFW

And your purely politcal views on almost every page in this do not count??

7. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep on Hamming in the Free World ...

Correct.

Demonisation of all Russians (including the fraternity of hams) at a most convenient point in the progress of affairs in this 'Brave New World'!
    ... And along comes the NATO membership seeking Georgia débacle, just when Sarkozy of France who arbitrated the 'Cease Fire' here needs an image makeover following some seriously bad press back home.

It's so orchestrated. Anyway, I'm emigrating to the new PJ for 'Political' headbanging.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  8. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

exciting!

YAWN! time to stretch.

9. 4L4WW

4L4WW Ham Member QRZ Page

damaging statement

Hello All
    Being emotional is one thing (and very hard not to be these days) and at the same time be responsible for your words and actions is another thing. I am sorry to say that see nothing like this in the statement of 4L2M.
    Obvious that I am not going to take part in this blanket type of protest which is extremely damaging for the image of my country and pretty sure not supported by the absolute majority of Georgian hams.
    There is no restriction for us to transmit, and never was and the statement obliges me personally nothing and others too. There is no Government decision to cease amateur radio communication with Russian amateurs and there will be no such decision.
    So my request would be to close this tread especially it is now going political too with some far going conclusions in some cases
    Thank you and see all of you (of course Russians too) on the bands
    Gia 4L4WW

10. WA9SVD

Where have I stated ANYTHIING concerning which side is either right or wrong in the poliotical conflict?

ALL I have said is that it Amateur Radio should not be held hostage or impaired by conflicts between governments. If you can't seem to be able to understand the difference between governmental conflicts and Amateur Radio's fraternity, then that is YOUR problem.

PLEASE. POINT OUT where I have takee a politival view on either side of the conflict occuring between Georgia and RUSSIA?

(HINT: YOU CAN NOT.)

11. RW3AH

RW3AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: from russian HAM

Мамука, дорогой!
    Ты наверное забыл, как русские и грузины и много других вместе спасали людей в Спитаке? Память вещь не очень надежная конечно, но об этом всегда надо помнить и не идти на поводу у безответственных политиков, которые ради своих собственных интересов сталкивают народы и устраивают в конечном итоге кровопролитные войны. Дружбой надо дорожить, а это не всегда просто. Проще одним махом взять и все перечеркнуть. Озлобиться и вытравить все то хорошее, что нас всех до сих пор сближало.

После всего случившегося я не считаю всех грузин врагами. Ты же объявил, что мы все (русские) таковыми теперь являемся для всех вас и для тебя лично.

Время рассудит конечно и поверь, что тебе будет очень совестно после того, что ты высказал во всеуслышанье на QRZ.com в 2008 году

Я же наоборот, призываю работать в эфире всех, и русских с грузинами и наоборот. Показать всему миру, что мы близки не только духовно по вере, но и по сути своей.

Дружеские 73 (!)

12. WA9SVD

Apparently not choosing one side or the other in an international issue, but merely disagreeing with your post is "too political."

13. WA9SVD

Apologies, my frined. But many here will not be able to understand your comment. I'm sorry to say, most of us do not speak (or read) your language,. I hesitate to try one of the "Google translation" features, for fear of misunderstandings.

14. KC4GFW

Here is english translation.

Mamuka, dear!
    You probably forgot, as Russian and Georgians and together saved many other people in Spitak? Memory is not very rugged course, but one that must always remember not to take over from the irresponsible politicians who for their own interests and face the people satisfied with the eventual bloody war. Friendship should be cherished, and this is not always easy. Simply take one stroke and undermine everything. Vytravit to become embittered and all the good that we are all still approaching.

After all, what happened, I do not think all Georgians enemies. You also announced that we all (Russian) are now established for all of you and for you personally.

Time rassudit course and believe that you will be very sovestno after what you have expressed publicly on QRZ.com in 2008

I am conversely, appeal to all to work on the air, with Georgians and the Russians and vice versa. Show the world that we are close not only on spiritual faith, but in essence.

The friendly 73 (!)

15. KC4GFW

All your post have political overtones of some kind, go back and re-read them, especialy post #23

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.