ad: MLSons-1

Your most memorable events as a ham

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WF7I, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K9DI

K9DI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi agn Gang,
        Wayne K9DI es Leader Dog Sequoia here, I just had to post agn.  I recently swapped a modern rig (IC706MkII) for a venerable Kenwood TS520 because I got tired of hassling with the 706's phreaking menus, but that's not why I'm posting.  After I concluded the swap it hit me... I needed a tuner, an SWR bridge, es a dummy load.  Well, long story short: I posted to the Flying Pigs QRP Club's list (more information at www.fpqrp.com) es asked if anyone had a tuner for loan or sale that could handle 150w and would run me les than 60 bux.  One of my fellow Fine Swine (Bill I owe U a beer or six at FDIM 2003!&#33[​IMG] contacted me and offered a tuner es SWR bridge.  Free gratis...
        Needless to say, his kind offer took my breath away!  Bill said it was just part of the ham radio spirit.  His offer freed up what limited resources I had to purchase a dummy load.  
        This isn't the first time a fellow ham has stepped up to help me in my troubles es travails as a ham, whether it was, encouragement, help fixing something, giving advice, information, or donating gear; the Ham Family has been there to prop me up, even when my biological family would not.  This is a lesson all hams MUST learn... I've already begun trying to "pass it along" to my Brother es Sister hams.  I know I cannot ever repay the kindness shown to me by the ham family, but I can sure try!!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

My most memorable event as a ham had to be back around when I was first licensed. I belive it may have been august of 1989 during the Persieds (I think thats the correct name) meteor shower. My friend Scott KB2GDN/6 and I heard about these showers and the momentary propogation you can get during the meteor shower. We decided to setup a tent in my parents yard and hook up my old Ten Tec 540. We tuned up on 10 meters and looked around for stations. We found someone in Conneticut with a very weak signal.. had to be an S3 or S4. We were in contact with him.. just barely. All of a sudden for a few seconds.. BAM!! He was over S9!! His signal was up there for 5 or 6 seconds, maybe longer or shorter.. then he was back down. That had to be the most amazing thing I ever witnessed in the hobby. Its a moment I will not forget. 73's de James, KB2FCV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.