ad: elecraft

Young Ham Radio Leadership: Katie Campbell KE8LQR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Aug 14, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD9YLL

KD9YLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am working with my son, helping him study for his tech. He seems excited about it

K8LK, N4FZ, W8KIC and 1 other person like this.
  2. PY1KZ

PY1KZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

God Bless you all, Katie!!!

W1DED likes this.
  3. PY1KZ

PY1KZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately in Brazil the age group of radioamateurs grows every year. Very few young people are interested in this hobby. Miguel, PY1KZ

4. DG7RF

DG7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

young radio operators are still being sought in Germany, wow this

K4KPD, W1DED and N4FZ like this.
  5. YD3ATP

YD3ATP Ham Member QRZ Page

great to see

W1DED likes this.
  6. ON4BAR

ON4BAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, it is very nice to see that there are very young people who are interested in this beautiful and educational and extensive hobby. Hopefully this will stimulate many other youngsters to keep radio amateurism alive and innovative. It is not easy anywhere in the world to simply perform our hobby in a decent way, given that antennas are not welcome everywhere... These new enthusiastic amateurs can hopefully make it clear that our hobby and associated antennas are not intended for the negative business , or to ruin nature... This hobby teaches us so much that it should be kept alive. Have fun and good luck Katie! 73.

W1DED likes this.
  7. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Katie, I am Tim, NN6A. Greetings! Just a suggestion. Have you been in contact with Becky Schoenfeld, W1BXY? She may help you to "get the message out" about your mission...The Amateur Radio Service needs more young folks in the hobby, and Becky is the Editorial Director at the ARRL, and has her publication for new hams. Forgive me if you and Becky are already working together; I'm just interested in furthering the hobby. BTW, do you know "Astro Leah"? Her videos are on YouTube. You may want to take a look..
    Good luck to you!
    Tim, NN6A

W1DED and K4KPD like this.
  8. K4KPD

K4KPD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding! We need more of this to carry the torch of our beloved hobby.

WD4ELG, W1DED and KD9VGV like this.
  9. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Operate the YOTA Contest and December YOTA month!

KE8LQR, N2EY and KO4MAO like this.
  10. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I DON'T THINK THE PROBLEM IS THE LACK OF YOUNG PEOPLE WANTING TO BE LICENSED AMATEURS, BUT THE LACK OF SUPPORT THE PARENTS GIVES THE YOUNG PEOPLE.

THESE YOUNG PEOPLE THAT REPRESENTS THE HOBBY SEEMS TO BE THE ONES WHERE MOM AND DAD, GRANDPA AND GRANDMA ARE HAMS, ARE SUPPORTIVE, HAS LOT'S OF MONEY AND BUYS THEIR KIDS WAY INTO THE HOBBY.

When i was a kid, I cut grass, $5 for half an acres and I supplied the mower and the fuel - push mowed the neighbors grass until I saved enough money to buy a Knight Kit Star Roamer.
    My dad and I put it together. I robbed a old strip job of their shot wire - laying on the ground after they shot the holes to strip mine coal. I put up a couple hundred feet of 14 ga soft copper wire with a yellow jacket and I listened to what ever I could hear until eventually the radio broke and I gave it away.
    Those were the days long before there was a personal computer or the internet to help a guy out.
    There were several licensed hams down in town 4 miles away, but none of them were willing to mentor a young person - they were all rich and out for themselves.
    In those days, you had to drive to Pittsburgh PA - 80 Miles or order stuff out of the Radio Shack catalog and things like Field Days or Hamfests were not advertised in the local newspaper.
    Its a different world we live in today.

Fists is a great place to start if you are interested in code - https://fistsna.org/operating.php#sprints
    Summer SATURDAY SPRINT --- Second Saturday in August.
    Summer SUNDAY SPRINT --- Third Sunday in August.

SKCC is also a excellent place to get some practice.
    https://www.skccgroup.com/

The best thing that a old ham can do for a young ham is to sell or give them a straight key and teach them how to operate it.
    Anyone can play 2 meters FM or play on Echolink, but HF is the great equalizer because on HF you cannot see the other person and you cannot tell how old they are by their fist..
    All SKCC members will SLOOOW down for anyone that wants to learn or needs practice..

W1DED and KO4MAO like this.
  11. AB4PS

AB4PS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Act

12. AB4PS

AB4PS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually I think this is a really great idea. Something that both the ARRL and QRZ should consider.

N8ZI and KD9VGV like this.
  13. KO4MAO

KO4MAO Ham Member QRZ Page

A problem I can foresee is how to certify a "youth." Do we all have to give our birthdates? What about something like enrollment in a specific school (Middle/High school). That may be easier to verify. Like send a photo of your ID card. This may work for young hams going to secondary schools in the U.S.

14. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

The last thing we need is another contest, another opportunity for those that has the best equipment to outshine those that has very little or nothing.

Everybody seems to buy their way into the hobby. Buy recognition.

15. BH7FFR

BH7FFR Ham Member QRZ Page

very young