ad: Alphaant-1

YL System 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K3CDQ, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3CDQ

K3CDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Friends:  I am emailing and/or writing to you and thousands of other YL System members to ask you to please check in with us "now" and during 2003, when we will be celebrating the YL System’s 40th Birthday.   A lot has changed since February 9, 1963, when V. Mayree Tallman founded the YL System and we are now approaching a membership of nearly 16,000 OM’s and YL’s.   I am sure most of you know that we lost our dear V. Mayree, Sidebander #1, on June 19, 2001.  She was just about seven months short of her 100th birthday and she is dearly missed.

We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary the entire year with many events including on the air contests, new awards, photo contests, mini conventions and more.  In addition, we have very many new members who are looking for DX contacts for System awards as well as DXCC and other ARRL awards.  I hope you will join us often to qso with these new members and many of the friends you have made over the years on the YL System.

We are looking forward to hearing you on 14.332 and don’t forget, the ISSB number you were issued is a lifetime number.  Once a member, always a member and all you have to do is pay your dues of $10 ($15 DX) to get the latest issue of the VOICE and see the photos and all the events that have been happening the past couple of years. If you have not paid dues, you are still a member in good standing.  If you do not remember your ISSB number, please email me and I will send it to you by email: k3cdq@chesapeake.net.  The annual convention was held in Fairbanks, AK this year and next year it will be a cruise to Grand Cayman Island.  Contact KU7F for cruise information. Other conventions in recent years have been in Iowa, Annapolis, Halifax NS, Barbados and El Paso, Texas.

System Information:
           Early Morning Warm Up        14.332    1300Z
           Formal Periods Begin           14.332    1600Z
           Moonbeam  Begins              14.332    2200Z
    VK/ZL System:
    Friday Eve - Saturday Zulu time     14.332    0200Z

Finally, hope you will join us in the annual System QSO Parties this year.

CW  -  0001Z  February 15 until 2359Z February 16.
    SSB  - 0001Z   March 15 until 2359Z March 16.

Information on both QSO Parties available at:  http://www.qsl.net/yl-issb
    Or from the QSO Party Chairpersons:  N4ZGH/N4KNF   -   2hamsrus@comcast.net

Vy Best 73 and we will be looking forward to hearing you and working you again soon.

Dick
    K3CDQ

PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER &
                      MOONBEAM CONTROL COORDINATOR
                      ISSB #12934,   TFO  #327
                      HOLDER OF RIGEL AND TFO TROPHIES

2. WB4ILS

WB4ILS QRZ Member QRZ Page

Really great article Dick, let the world know.
    Steve #15787

3. K8NQC

K8NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so pleased to see this posting. I was around 40 years ago when the ladies got this system started. Only a handful of people were on SSB and operated only up at the top of the various bands. A.M. was still king and with its bandwidth only a few stations filled up the phone bands. The A.M. people did not like the "Donald Ducks" which is what they called the operators on SSB. The introduction of the inexpensive SSB transceivers(that still cost half as much as a new car) made it possible for many more people to try SSB.  Most hams ran CW and only a little local phone so it was always a bit scarey to key the mic. Just a couple of years earlier, a SSB station cost much more than a new automobile and few people used that mode. The YL system permitted all to use SSB and its greater effectiveness and even get some DX. The system frequency, 13.332 became a a place where emergencies were handled dependably. It was a system that attracted many very nice people, both YL's and OM. Much has changed in the hobby over the past 40 years but the "system" is still one place where friendly people can be found every day.

It will be good to hear returning members and new visitors during the 40th anniversary year.  73/88

4. K8NQC

K8NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Please excuse my typo in the prior post. The proper frequency is 14.332 and not 13.332. It is still likely the friendliest frequency in ham radio where old timers, new comers, YL,s, OM, DX, and we slightly senile people enjoy the hobby in a relaxed, civil way.  I hope to hear you there.        73,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.