ad: QSLWorks-1

WWV Celebrates 100 Years of Public Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK8O, Apr 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

WWV is cool, and I share your enthusiasm in this celebration. We just have to be careful what we claim on these 'broadcast' centenaries. It's not like 'who invented radio' where a number of claims are reasonably enterained:)

The fact that WWV is still alive and kicking is a very welcome fix to the otherwise demise-ful reality of the broadcast industry, which is deflating rapidly (unfortunately) from a decline of listeners:-(

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

To their credit, the dedicated NIST radio crew keeps looking for and finding innovative ways to utilize the broadcast "air time" available between clock strikes. The solar indices announced at 20 minutes after the hour, useful when offline from the internet, are a long time example of that.

Now they have partnered with the DoD / MARS to provide hourly updates of alerts and status of pending or in process exercises. Listen to an example on the link below copied today on WWV 5 MHz (WWVH can be heard faintly in the background too),

https://vocaroo.com/nDObwJBXi5X

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction and additions - of course the geophysical alert (solar indices) announcements are at the 18th / 45th minute respectively between WWV / WWVH. At various other times during each hour NIST also teams up with NOAA and USCG to announces Marine Storm Warnings and GPS Status Reports.

4. W0ICQ

W0ICQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W0ICQ

W0ICQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. AC3IB

AC3IB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll bet that rig was 20 watt, cathode modulated with a carbon mic.... Anybody got the specs on that rig? It's beautiful. I love it.... I want one....

7. AA8K

AA8K Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do I find times and frequencies? The WW0WWV page says nothing about it.