ad: M2Ant-1

WWV Celebrates 100 Years of Public Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK8O, Apr 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cross post. See my above reply.

2. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We need an app that recreates WWV on our phones. :)

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I imagine that is important in an specific historical sense. Doesn't do much for me personally. :)

DeForest was broadcasting 'time' as part of his 'programming'. Essentially what we are saying is we don't celebrate DeForest on this--because he went broke and off the air --whereas public funds kept WWV on.

It's very strange how we, Americans, often convince ourselves the importance of late-comers and sweep the founders under the rug:-(

We love success but erase failure.

Mike Adams' book on DeForest is the definitive source on DeForests' contribution to broadcasting (firsts) including time broadcasts.

Stay safe Bill, nice to hear from you.

Chip W1YW

4. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

This does not rejuvenate us, it was the day before yesterday ...

5. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard WW0WWV here in Sacramento on 1 May, but the pileup was horrendous and propagation has been awful here lately-I simply can't get out within the last couple weeks. Maybe I'll try tomorrow, 4 May.

6. K4VOV

K4VOV Ham Member QRZ Page

EXCELLENT

7. W4MDP

W4MDP Ham Member QRZ Page

NICE!!
    I will have to get that QSL Card to sit on m y office wall next to the QSL I received when Fort Collins turned on.

Attached Files:

8. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Start here:

:D

GM4JPZ and KC3JH like this.
  9. KN6GVI

KN6GVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked him on ft8 on the 1st

10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At the sound of the tone..... one hundred years, zero hours coordinated universal time....

KA0HCP likes this.
  11. KK8O

KK8O Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a normal sized QSL card.

12. KK8O

KK8O Ham Member QRZ Page

As another member mentioned, this is not celebrating the assignment of the call WWV, we celebrated that last fall with a 5 day event at WWV with over 10,000 QSO, so not late, or short on anything - see our QRZ for more info on this event, and past events. This is celebrating the first scheduled public broadcasts from WWV which happened in May of 1920.

KA4DPO likes this.
  13. KK8O

KK8O Ham Member QRZ Page

WWV made its first scheduled public broadcasts on friday evenings starting in May 1920, its all in the links i provided in the original post.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not the point.

The point is all 'BROADcasts' are 'public', and there is a history of broadcasting that precedes WWV, KDKA. and so on.

Chip W1YW

15. KK8O

KK8O Ham Member QRZ Page

"scheduled" is the key word here chip, this is a celebration of wwv making intentionally scheduled radio available to the public. Nit pick all you want, the point here is to have fun and celebrate radio.