ad: TinyPaddle-1

WW8N tower court case could set a precedent for all US amateurs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0BTU, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AC2FO

AC2FO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no problem getting nasty with a libtard who wants to tell me how to live my life.

2. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, GUYS..... do what the brave citizens of the Ukraine are doing fight...fight.. and fight harder. Why do we put up with this bullshit ? Hams need antennas..right? The most expensive station is useless without.

Tell you one thing, these HOA's and such would never survive here in the UK...we'd find other ways to hack them off so bad they'd be GLAD to see a nice ham tower.

Good luck guy's 73 Des

3. K8WHB

K8WHB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you're taking a very flawed view of this case. The ARRL makes a VERY good point - if Swanton Village is successful in its state constitutional challenge, it will make it MUCH harder for states that do not now have a state PRB-1 to get one enacted. Also, ANY "jack booted thug" action by government against any ham is insult to ALL of us.

4. KB3PHL

KB3PHL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Brian, W0DZ - That really IS priceless, it just shows you the complete hypocrisy of these people. If their capable of blotting out electric wires & telephone poles from their minds then there's absolutely no reason why they can't do the same for towers & antennas!

Joe KB3PHL

5. K8WHB

K8WHB Ham Member QRZ Page

6. AC2FO

My view is the title said this will help "ALL" hams that it would set a precedent my state has no PRB-1 Laws and I am willing to bet they will never. So to say this will help all Ham's is not true, I been down the road of tower restrictions and not in a CCR or HOW, I hope you were insulted my town has a 8' restriction, in fact I hope your insulted enough to fight my town. But that would be a flawed view on my part now wouldn't it.

If the article said that Congress was going to change PRB-1 to have more teeth for amarteurs then I would agree that will help all Hams. This law will do Crap for Ham's who live in NJ, but it makes a great headline on QRZ.

7. K0JS

K0JS Ham Member QRZ Page

Tru 'nuff, and I too am surprised that the appeals court would even take this case. Under the current concept of
    Federallism, do not state and local lawmakers act to harmonize with U.S. law in just about every facet of daily life, including health and safety, environment, education, transportation, banking, civil rights law enforcement, employment, taxes, and much of the time they are allowed enforcement powers according to minimum standards. If the U.S. Congress and the FCC are not complaining about this, what's going on here? Do we have a rogue court preparing to make a mess of it?

Jeff K0JS

8. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes!

Yes!
    BINGO!!
    The answer:
    You said it! And they have insignificant lives and a lot of time on their hands.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. WA8FOZ

They would have lost. Like a girls' flag team playing in the NFL. Not a chance. A waste of time and money. A result of the anti-gub'mint movement. The FCC is MUCH less powerful than it once was, 'cuz that's the way people (who voted) wanted it.

In fact HOAs themselves are also a result of anti-tax, anti-gub'mint sentiments - privatization of what used to be government functions, sorta like Halliburton. Careful what you ask for.

10. M0HEM

M0HEM Ham Member QRZ Page

i wish you the best of luck from the uk

11. AC2FO

You are 100% be careful what you ask for, How's that Hope and Change working out for ya?

Can you explain how HOA's are anti tax and anti govt or how the FCC is less powerful, you know besides your opinion.

I don't see how anyone with a clear head would want more govt unless that is they are happless and helpless people.

That's funny I just read the FCC was going into newsrooms to "survey" the news as per this administration. To say they are less powerful is poppy ####, thankfully the Commish decided that it wasn't a good idea>

"This study would have thrust the federal government into newsrooms across the country, somewhere it just doesn't belong," he said in a statement. "The Commission has now recognized that no study by the federal government, now or in the future, should involve asking questions to media owners, news directors, or reporters about their practices. This is an important victory for the First Amendment."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  12. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This question gets posed frequently. Some people have to set their priorities above amateur radio even though they enjoy the hobby. Things like location (commute to work, kids' school, wife's needs, access to medical care, etc.), affordability, security of a gated neighborhood, access to police/fire services -- the list goes on for all kinds of reasons. When I was younger, all I could afford in my So. Cal. location was HOA governed neighborhoods...and yes, I enjoyed the hobby of amateur radio. Fortunately, I was eventually able to move to a neighborhood without HOAs.

13. WA8FOZ

By no means perfect, but pretty darned well. The economy did not collapse, we are getting out of two foolish wars and at least were able to get Bin Laden like we could have done in 2001, millions of people are now getting insurance, and millions more, including many of my patients' parents, are no longer stuck forever in job lock, the country is slowly but inexorably moving in the direction I believe it needs to, and a lot of people who need to poop bricks are doing so, as they stew in their own juices. More people are getting more freedom in their lives, and fewer people are able to restrict others' freedom. So it's OK
    I was raised to think that courtesy demands that questions, even rude or ill-formed ones, deserve an answer. Where to begin?

HOAs: Developers, (who have been freed of many of the zoning and other restrictions that they once faced) take over local government through HOAs. This reduces the tax burden of people living in the communities accepted, and frees local governments from politically unpopular activities. IOW, local government is privatized. And while you can vote out your town council, you have little or no recourse if you disagree with "your" HOA. Figure out the rest for yourself.

FCC: It was first de-fanged in the early 1970s, by the establishment of the OTP( Office of Technology Policy). A number of other things accelerated this trend. The most important of these was the great reduction of staff and, later, field office services, that began in the 1980s. The abolition of the Fairness Doctrine and the gutting of anti-obscenity rules in the courts also made the Commission less powerful. The development of non-broadcast media and platforms, e.g., cable and the internet, caused the Commission to spread out its limited resources, making it less powerful in individual areas. e.g., amateur radio enforcement.

Not a question, merely a comment, hence no answer.

Again, not a question, but rather a comment based on a....misreading of a recent news item.

It's the 21st century. Have a great life.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. AC5O

AC5O Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't the state of Ohio have better things to spend time and $$$$$ on?
    AC5O
    Jeff

15. WA8FOZ

Actually, it is the village of Swanton in Fulton County that is wasting its taxpayers' money in the first place, although their intransigence will get the state court system involved and that will cost the state money. Unfortunately, the locals have a right to do this: "Ohio law grants a right of appeal from final decisions of a common pleas court. The decision here is appealed to the Sixth District Court of Appeals, headquartered in Toledo."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.