ad: CQMM-1

WP3BM 6 meter repeater is on the air!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WP3BM, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WP3BM

WP3BM Ham Member QRZ Page

The recently coordinated WP3BM 6 meter repeater, located at FK68, is on the air. The repeater is open for every ham to use. The split is 0.5 MHz. The repeater is working without CTSS, but in noisy days, 136.5 Hz tone might be activated. The repater is also linked to a local UHF repeater, KP4KSL, so the local community can enjoy the band openings when they happen.

I would like to thank all the amateur operators, to many to mention, who helped me with this project, specially, NP4UG, NP3HA, KP4ER, WP3IF,NP3UJ and last but not least, KP4KSL.

See you on six, 73!

Gabrie Sierra, WP3BM

2. K2RQA

K2RQA Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency is this 6m repeater on?

3. K3CW

K3CW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k2rqa @ Aug. 23 2002,11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What frequency is this 6m repeater on?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

And what's the QTH??

(Not exactly the most descriptive post&#33[​IMG]

**EDITOR'S NOTE**

Seeing how GRID FK69 is TOA ALTA, PR a very educated guess would be Toa Alta, Puerto Rico but that still leaves the Frequency. [​IMG]

4. W8OKN

W8OKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked up WP3BM and it is located in Puerto Rico.

5. KE4RWS/SK2022

KE4RWS/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow . . .

All we wanted to know was where the repeater was and what frequency it was on. I'm sure no one wanted to get flamed for simply asking the question! And now others are "disappointed"?

Good Lord.

Randy Evans
    KE4RWS

6. N0ZNA

N0ZNA Ham Member QRZ Page

GOOD,WE NEED MORE 6MT RPTS.OR IF WE DONT USE IT{6MTS}WE MIGHT.
    73S N0ZNA/JOHN SEE YA ON THE BAND

7. N0XG

N0XG Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MattBeers @ Aug. 23 2002,23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WD8OKN @ Aug. 23 2002,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I looked up WP3BM and it is located in Puerto Rico.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What a disappointment.  At least the editor knew that the original posting included the grid square and looked it up.

Special congrats to WD8OKN for finding duplicate information in less than a day.

A quick search on your favorite web search engine finds the coordination listing from the Puerto Rican Amateur Radio League website:

Freq - 51.620 MHz
    QTH - Bayam'on, Puerto Rico

The original posting gave you all the information you needed.  If you couldn't figure out the rest from there...

MB[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Geez, get a life. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of whining that goes on here. Why don't you go buy some cheese.

8. WP3BM

WP3BM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry guys! I just got carried and forgot to put the frequency! My apologies to all of you and thank you to those of you who took the effort to look into the coordination list.

Fout: 51.620 MHz PL 131.8
    Fin : 51.120 MHz PL 136.5

Even if the PL is listed, I try to run the repeater with no input PL activated most of the time. But program it anyway as I may activate it on a noisy day. The repeater has a two tone courtesy beep, so you will know if you hit it. FM activity here in the island is very scarce on 6 meters. Most 6m activity is on SSB on 51.110 mhz up to 51.150 mhz. During last winter opening (What a way to end the year&#33[​IMG], I got more that 70 QSOs on 52.525 mhz FM. The contacts I made were from the east coast and Canada to as far as Texas, where I made two contacts (Well, one actually, as the other contact had bogus call letters :-( )

Now, with the repeater online, 6 meters FM activity is starting to get people interested in the band. This is specially good now, that some good mobile 6M rigs are available. I will be moving the receptor to a high mountain in the center of the island probably in a couple months and the transmitter will also go there after 2006, when digital TV kicks in and the tv channels are re-allocated to UHF. I would like to see if somebody try to get part of the spectrum from 54.00 to 59.00 for the amateurs!

Anyway, lets hope conditions work for us and we get a chance to work the band!

See you all on six!

Gabriel Sierra, WP3BM

9. W1CAR

W1CAR Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Geez, get a life. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of whining that goes on here. Why don't you go buy some cheese[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That was the most intelligent statement in this entire thread. Two thumbs up.

10. KE4RWS/SK2022

Who said anything about the "disappointment" remark being defined as the actual flame?  I mentioned only that one remark out of the many that people made, and all because they wanted to know the frequency and location of the repeater!

Perhaps the person that uttered the first word of criticism should have just kept it to himself. Anyone would have known that making a statement which criticises someone would only start more replies in rebuttal.

As far as becoming a group that behaves as intelligent people go, I guess none of us can ever ask where a repeater is or what it's operating frequency is without now being accused of not "behaving intelligently"?

Once again, Good Lord.

Randy Evans
    KE4RWS

11. WA4BWO

WA4BWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of these guys have way too much time on their hands! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. KE4RWS/SK2022

Sure, I learned plenty on this go 'round . . .

Don't ask a question until you've exhausted all other means to answer it on your own. I mean, God forbid you actually go the easy route and just ask your question in plain english. If you do and it's in this forum, someone's going to be very "disappointed" in you.

A lesson to everyone here: Take your question someplace else. The amateur radio community would rather make you find the answer on your own than just answer a simple question.

And yes, you too have too much time on your hands if you took the time to read this and actually reply to it!

Disclaimer: I still answer questions without criticism when someone asks me a question. I don't try to play FCC Instructor and tell you all the things you should have done before asking the question.

Randy Evans
    KE4RWS

13. KP4YS

KP4YS Ham Member QRZ Page

Saludos gaby e igualmente a todos los muchachos por alla suerte con el rpt. Jose wp4ltr San Lorenzo P.R. [​IMG]

14. KE4RWS/SK2022

Doc,

Thanks for your input. It was well spoken and well taken.

Having said that, I'm no 20 year-old kid. I'm not in the habit of classroom antics. I know from my standpoint that if I ask a question I'd like a simple answer, and without having it injected that the person answering me is now "disapponted" with me.

If there can't be a simple answer to a direct, innocent question without someone throwing their personal feelings towards those who ask it then I'm not sure what justice has been done to the person asking the question, or to the amateur radio hobby. I mean, if you make the person feel or even appear stupid for asking the question they may not inquire further. And like I said before, my classroom days are over and I don't need to hear the BS from wanna-be FCC instructors. I don't mind learning, but not when it's conducted by way of making the student feel inferior.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I certainly appreciate your thoughts, Doc.

Randy Evans
    KE4RWS

15. W1CAR

W1CAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would just like to say, um... damn. I forgot.

I can see where this may be going...

"why is the sky blue, mommy?"
    "that's a stupid question! what are you an idiot? go ask your father...he knows everything."
    "daddy, why is the sky blue?"
    "go ask your mother."
    "I did. She said to ask you."
    "well, that was just plain stupid. your mother is stupid for sending you to me to answer your stupid question and you are stupid for asking it. the sky is blue because you are too stupid to find out on your own. don't you have some toys to play with?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.