ad: chuckmartin

Worth Gurley, W7WG, SK one month before 105th birthday!

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W7UUU, Aug 12, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just received notice today that the most senior member of the Radio Club of Tacoma, W7DK, has passed away after a short illness. He will be dearly missed by the members of our club - such a happy energetic soul right up until the very end.

Once I have an official obituary announcement, I will post it here. We just got the news this morning from his loyal daughter and longtime caregiver, Heather.

Below is worth at 100 years of age, during Field Day 2018 with the RCT. He was a VERY avid Morse operator for many years, not only as a ham (received his first license in 1935) but during WWII where he served for a year decoding CW messages in the FCC "RID Section" in Boston. Alas, during field day, his ability to hear was badly hampered so much of the received code had to be spoken to him as his hearing was really poor by then.

And below that is a video of his 100th birthday celebration in the W7DK clubhouse.

He will be missed - but he truly lived a long, wonderful and blessed life and I was honored to be one of his many friends in the amateur radio world.

Dave
    W7UUU

AK5B likes this.
  2. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

Wow...what a clean smooth fist he has! Licensed in 1935. To think of the changes he had seen in almost 100 years.Truly an end of an era. He most certainly will be missed.

AK5B and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

He really will be missed - he was very beloved in our club. And VERY active - he was into SOTA before SOTA was SOTA. He climbed mountains well into his 80s and still did backpacking radio jaunts into his 90s.

I first met him in 2013 when I got back active in the RCT and we became good friends.

Whenever I'd see him, he'd always sing the first few words of the old 1953 Ames Brothers song, "You You You" and I always got a kick out of that :)

Dave
    W7You You You :)

AK5B, WR2E, NZ4X and 2 others like this.
  4. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

W7WG Worth Gurley .... RIP !

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

5. KQ4GUI

KQ4GUI Ham Member QRZ Page

no way I think I heard him on the websdr utah once the other day like a week or two and I was hoping to get him in my log that's sad that he went but he had a good long life!

6. W7UUU

No, Worth would not have been on the air then. He'd been in a hospital care situation for several months and hasn't been active on the air since probably a year or more ago and even then only on our local club repeater (W7DK club repeater 147.28).

But indeed Worth had a really blessed long life, with many friends around the world and a loving family.

We should all be so fortunate.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not know him, but his passing seems to be a great loss for Amateur radio.

FWIW, my wife says many people die within a month of their birthday.

8. KQ4GUI

KQ4GUI Ham Member QRZ Page

um ok maybe it was another ham because he said he was licensed since after ww2.