ad: QSLWorks-1

WORLD’S BIGGEST RADIO DISH UP AND RUNNING

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Aug 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The FAST radio astronomy dish (Tianyan), in People’s Republic of China (PRC), is now the largest antenna in the world, beating the United States’ Arecibo dish. Over 500 meters in diameter, it is designed for medium and short wavelength studies of the cosmos, addressing issues of universe-origins, pulsars and collapsed stars, galaxy formation, and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI), among others.

Link:
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/05/china-fast-radio-telescope-construction-complete/

upload_2016-8-26_11-51-50.png

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aww, you can't fool me. That's a microwave wok!

WA7SGS, NL7W, K7LZR and 7 others like this.
  3. W6ERM

W6ERM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W7IVK

W7IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

Battlefield 4 Rogue Transmission IRL

WU2F, K3RW, K7ALO and 1 other person like this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just don't wok the baby in it!

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams had access to Arecibo at times, I wonder if the Chinese will do the same and maybe do some Mars Bounce.

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Copying KP4AO off the moon with an Arrow beam and FT-817 was quite a hoot back in 2010. Unfortunately, unlike Arecibo, it appears this new one is SWL-only, all ear and no mouth, ie, not designed for any transmitters.

However, quite impressive looking, with steerability to cover lots more sky and up to 10 db more gain. and built for only $180MM! Breathtaking how non-democratic societies can get such monumental things done with well skilled workers yet forced low labor rates as well as pulling an eminent domain move to just push 10K residents out of the quiet zone!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_hundred_meter_Aperture_Spherical_Telescope

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

yeh, it sucks, that:-(

Sad day for American science. We have lost our way, and dont know how to get back.

NL7W, AB6Z and KD4VJP like this.
  9. K0NXM

K0NXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see this as a win for them, on the scientific or political stage. Wasteful government spending, run amok, isn't good even in a communist dictatorship. I can't claim to know that our own exploration in this area has substantially benefitted our quality of life, or answered existential questions.

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Several hams used their own antennas and radios to illuminate Arecibo in the mid 60-70's. The hardest part was working around the schedules of the paying users to get dish time.

11. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OMG, another player! Send me your screen name on BF4 please. I love that map!

WU2F and K3RW like this.
  12. W1RV

W1RV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip,

I think we should take advantage of the situation and try to get SETI and other world wide efforts to petition the Chinese for air time. It may seem counter productive at first, however they're going to just continue the technology race ad infinitum. Might as well take advantage of an opportunity that could lead to further cooperation with the Chinese (Mars mission, moon base) since we don't seem to be doing this on our own ...just a thought.
    Rich - W1RV

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Rich--

The Chinese are politely making it clear they can do this themselves....and are considering this a speculative effort, that when it pans out, will place them at the top of the worlds stage.

Who can blame them?

That used to be us.

Chip W1YW

N9FM and NL7W like this.
  14. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

We won't find anything or anybody unless we look. We might never find another intelligent species in the universe, but even knowing how rare that is could make preserving ours more precious.

15. W1RV

W1RV Ham Member QRZ Page

My point exactly. If we push for a 'collaborative' effort while we're still ahead it may lead to a more promising future for all involved. If we close them off and refuse to deal with them entirely we're assuring their future and limiting ours ... We've done this in the past with other countries with disastrous results. (Vietnam comes to mind)
    On the other hand, while being somewhat communicative with the USSR we saw the fall of the Berlin wall.