ad: Alphaant-1

Woodstock - 50 years station active this weekend

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Not meaning to detract, but in terms of attendance, Woodstock '69 wasn't even close to the 'biggest musical event ever' - Rod Stewart (of all people!!) took that honor in 1994 in Rio with an attendance of 3,500,000 - Jean-Michael Jarre matched that attendance in 1997 in Moscow. Woodstock brought in around 400,000 ... not a slouch by any means and certainly could be considered the most "culturally influencing musical event in the USA to date" but far from the "biggest musical event ever"

just sayin'

Good luck with your event - I'll for sure try to get in the log!!

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY and AK5B like this.
  2. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

What , my I ask , frequency will you be at???

3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Woodstock?
    I love that movie!
    Far Out Man!
    Sure is a bummer man.... I gotta work outta town, away from my radio.
    I'd love a Woodstock QSL Card!
    Be careful of the Brown Acid man!
    Ya couldnt get the callsign W2LSD?

73 es Peace, Love & Granola!

Oh yeah check this out man, ya wanna hear something far out? I was outta town working across the street from the Monterey Fairgrounds almost a year ago...
    On September 7th I had about a hour and a half of time free waiting for another trade to complete their tasks before I could do my thing.
    I downloaded the complete Jimi Hendrix Live Monterey Pop performance reissue recording that included all the dialogue and talk between the songs.... I snuck into the Fairgrounds Ampitheatre and under the chainlink and listen to the live download right there on the very stage and stood at the very spot where he played Wild Thing while setting his Strat on fire! Man! It was like a spiritual uhhh umm ....... "Experience" ...
    The date Sept 7th was the anniversary of his untimely death.
    Yeah, bad trip man!
    69 might be fine but 70 was like a bad trip for the 27 club.... Makes ya wonder? Lots of things appear funny style how we lost these icons or martyr's of the social revolution eh?
    But the music, oh the music Fifty freakin years later and it we can still hear the colours and reflect back at a time when the universe still meant something.
    Hey? Wasnt Bob Heil there? I think he might of been bumping heads with that bloke from across the pond, good ol' Eddie Kramer!
    Now that was an engineer who is the Cats Meow !

Groovy doovy woovy! Man!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    AK5B likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's about 42 straight line miles from Plattekill to Bethel. Using a Mosley TA-33 tribander on a 40' tubular tower with an Ameritron Al-1500 amp. That should work. We'll be listening for you this weekend.

5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Watkins Glen pulled out from under them. I was hoping that Saugerties (Ulster County NY) would be the site for Woodstock 50 but the Saugerties Town Board claimed that the application to hold the event was made in an untimely fashion and that the Town needed at least one year to make adequate preparations. There was talk about the event being held in Maryland, in September, but that didn't materialize either.

6. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Likely something that ends in a "50" in the general portions of any band that is open.

7. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn't there since I was just 12 at that time. I remember having teachers in high school that went to Woodstock, they were cool! Pretty much played the Woodstock album to death, still have it but it has seen better days. Hope to hear you this weekend.

KK4GW likes this.
  8. KK4GW

KK4GW Ham Member QRZ Page

I will definitely be listening for you.

9. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah... but they weren't all there to see him. After all, it was a New Year's Eve party with Rod providing some entertainment. Still, that's a hella lotta ppl!

10. K2CNN

K2CNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Will there be a special QSL card?

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its kind of hard to understand what the times were like in August 1969...Woodstock was heavily pushed in the 'underground radio and press'. In Boston it was the word on the lips of college students and teens. It was a camping trip with music. No one --went-- with the expectation that it was a major 'gathering of the tribes' or a major temporary city. It was pushed as much as an arts fair as anything else. No one talks about that aspect now...but that's how it was seen.

Keep in mind that MOST of the music acts had little or no exposure BEFORE Woodstock, and that Joplin and Hendrix had already made the rounds at major cities, such as Cambridge,MA.

What made Woodstock was the timing: young people finishing Summer jobs, getting ready to go back to school, and vacay the last two weeks of August. Cheap weekend.

Hah!

Groovy!

12. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck in the special event.

Dont forget this weekend is the SSB summer version of the NA QSO Party on Saturday 18:00 UTC - Sunday 0600 UTC, so lots and lots of contest activity on the bands...

The exchange for the NAQP is name and state. 100W max output so even little guns can compete.
    Rules here: https://ncjweb.com/NAQP-Rules.pdf

13. WK3A

WK3A Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this is asking a lot but is one weekend enough?
    It'll be tough getting through I suppose and a lot of reminiscing about the event will keep the Q's slow.
    I'll be looking for you guys and good luck with the pile up. 73

14. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My girlfriend Mary and I were reminiscing our run away to Woodstock discussion again just a couple weeks ago...
    She'd just turned 15 and I was 14 with another month and a half to go... As strict as my parents were at the time I'd probably still be grounded. sigh
    Have fun with the event.

Erika DD

15. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh Yes, there sure will be.

W2W - QSL card.jpg

WA7PRC likes this.