Woodstock - 50 years station active this weekend

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Try to give us a shout if you can. Watch the cluster to see where one of us might be.

2. KB2FMH

I think it will work so I'll keep an ear out for you!

3. KB2FMH

HA! Good one... Hopefully this weekend will be a bit dryer.

K9ASE likes this.
  4. KB2FMH

Sad isn't it.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Peace love dove!

What killed Woodstock was Limp Bizkit unleashing the lower levels of hell at Woodstock '99.....

N1YR likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not meaning to detract, but in terms of attendance, Woodstock '69 wasn't even close to the 'biggest musical event ever' - Rod Stewart (of all people!!) took that honor in 1994 in Rio with an attendance of 3,500,000 - Jean-Michael Jarre matched that attendance in 1997 in Moscow. Woodstock brought in around 400,000 ... not a slouch by any means and certainly could be considered the most "culturally influencing musical event in the USA to date" but far from the "biggest musical event ever"

just sayin'

Good luck with your event - I'll for sure try to get in the log!!

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY and AJ5J like this.
  7. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

What , my I ask , frequency will you be at???

8. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Woodstock?
    I love that movie!
    Far Out Man!
    Sure is a bummer man.... I gotta work outta town, away from my radio.
    I'd love a Woodstock QSL Card!
    Be careful of the Brown Acid man!
    Ya couldnt get the callsign W2LSD?

73 es Peace, Love & Granola!

Oh yeah check this out man, ya wanna hear something far out? I was outta town working across the street from the Monterey Fairgrounds almost a year ago...
    On September 7th I had about a hour and a half of time free waiting for another trade to complete their tasks before I could do my thing.
    I downloaded the complete Jimi Hendrix Live Monterey Pop performance reissue recording that included all the dialogue and talk between the songs.... I snuck into the Fairgrounds Ampitheatre and under the chainlink and listen to the live download right there on the very stage and stood at the very spot where he played Wild Thing while setting his Strat on fire! Man! It was like a spiritual uhhh umm ....... "Experience" ...
    The date Sept 7th was the anniversary of his untimely death.
    Yeah, bad trip man!
    69 might be fine but 70 was like a bad trip for the 27 club.... Makes ya wonder? Lots of things appear funny style how we lost these icons or martyr's of the social revolution eh?
    But the music, oh the music Fifty freakin years later and it we can still hear the colours and reflect back at a time when the universe still meant something.
    Hey? Wasnt Bob Heil there? I think he might of been bumping heads with that bloke from across the pond, good ol' Eddie Kramer!
    Now that was an engineer who is the Cats Meow !

Groovy doovy woovy! Man!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    AJ5J likes this.
  9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's about 42 straight line miles from Plattekill to Bethel. Using a Mosley TA-33 tribander on a 40' tubular tower with an Ameritron Al-1500 amp. That should work. We'll be listening for you this weekend.

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Watkins Glen pulled out from under them. I was hoping that Saugerties (Ulster County NY) would be the site for Woodstock 50 but the Saugerties Town Board claimed that the application to hold the event was made in an untimely fashion and that the Town needed at least one year to make adequate preparations. There was talk about the event being held in Maryland, in September, but that didn't materialize either.