ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Why Johnny Can’t Learn Code

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8PMX

KC8PMX QRZ Member

The author does bring up a valid point about the different aspects of learning code. And as usual, the typical snotty, unsupportive comments abound even when a wonderful realization is presented.

Aside from that, the main thing we as the ham community need to remember what the root of what he said. Even if a group of say for instance of 100 people are in a room and know the same thing about a concept, theory, or idea, be it abstract or not, I can bet you my next paycheck they all did not learn that concept etc. the same way. Some may have found it quicker to learn in one particular manner, and some chose other routes to get the same results. I am not saying which one was the easier route, just the most sucessful route.

If we want to grow as a community, we need to remember that when attempting to teach others. Be it morse code or the book theory, if we remember that different people learn in different ways we will be a much better hobby service. As far as the code, as long as they legitamitely pass the code test, legally, that is all that matters and will keep the morse code fanatics happy.

As a instructor I also try to identify different techiques of teaching and training as I identify differently capable students. The training these students recieve can save their own lives or others in the future, so it is imperative that I ensure that they learn.

73's to all!

Ryan KC8PMX
    Firefighter/MFR

2. K4AAG

K4AAG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said.

3. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

Some here seem to have overexposed their film a long time ago! Time to throw out that old camera and go digital. 10 years from you will will be hard pressed to find a place to develop film. Times change. Those that refuse to change will end up at the side of the road wondering where the heck they are and why the place they thought they were going no longer even exists.

I think that the CW requirement should be raised to 20WPM for a "code" license. All licenses should be General with General+ as the only ones given access to the CW sub-bands. Frequency allocations should be a function of the number of General+'s in relation to plain old Generals. I would think that the CW sub-band would not have to be very large to accomodate the General+'s

Think 20WPM is too high? Well anything under that is not communicating. It is studdering. No real communication other than exchanging calls, QTH and signal reports can be done unless you are retired and have LOT of time to waste. 20 minute QSO and nothing has been said yet except basic introductions. Give me a break. At 5WPM it's only a word a minute!

Maybe we should raise that to 25 or even 30 WPM. When all the oldsters finally die we can lay CW to rest once and for all and leave the bands for real communication. I don't care if that tiny bit of spectrum is returned or left as the CW graveyard for the few overexposed fat-heads who think they are so superior to the rest of the world because they have learned an obsolete communication method. They must have a lot of time to waste to learn such an out-moded form of communications and actually use it.

4. KB9YFI

I forgot to mention that the test should be changed. The tech test should be dropped and the General test should be used or even the Extra test. The question pool should be kept secret and the answers as well. Throw out multiple choice and have only fill-in-the-blank questions and drawing circuit diagrams for radio components from scratch. Perhaps there should be some basic vectoring in there too to keep out the morons.

Anyone who is unable to understand such simple electronics concepts should not be licensed. This should keep the bands clean and keep out the CB-trucker trash as it is obvious that many of the pro-CW people are just that deep down.

5. KB9YFI

My own results were: Visual/Nonverbal 40 Visual/Verbal 40 Auditory 10 Kinesthetic 34. I also did quite well in music. I went quite far and even participated in college music as well as being a member of world champion Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps. I can hear tones and rythems fine in music but have a lot of difficulty hearing the dits and dahs of morse and differentiating between them. I do hope to pass this stupid hurdle though so I can get that important slip of paper. Once I pass the test I will then try hard to forget this useless migrane-inducing code and put it behind me. I'll avoid the CW-subbands as just hearing it makes me sick.

6. N3KRX

N3KRX Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading the article I can see what is meant. I too have had trouble with the code, enjoy it, but still have trouble, and can not copy, except for short sentences, in my head. However I can not sit and have someone give me letters and make out the story. I need to see it!
    However, the notion that morse code is dead as a communication tool is wrong. If one thinks it is dead, then they have not heard of the military in Afghanistan sending out information by code because none of the other modes were practical, either due to equipment size or power requirements, since the cw gear is small, low power drain with lower output power, and the signal gets through! Guess you guys who think the code is dead better rethink. But then again, keep thinking that way, more room on the bands for those of us who think the code is still alive!
    73 de N3KRX

7. WA7CS

WA7CS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have taught code to many folks. Kids and adults alike.

Each and every one of those that came to at least 6 of the 8 weekly one-hour sessions learned the code well enough to pass an FCC exam.

Each and every one of the students that wanted to learn the code, learned the code.

There were always a few that attended about half of the classes, and were amazed (angry) when they couldn't make the grade.

If a lazy or uninterested person doesn't want to know, they certainly will never find out.

8. K7WHB

K7WHB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for taking the time to attempt to raise the standard of discussion -- for the most part you succeeded.

It is certainly possible to adjust and work diligently to learn something that really is more suited for another learning style. The first step in finding ways to be successful is to understand the impediments to success. I think you've probably helped a bunch of folks in that regard.

Bill

9. AI2E

AI2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a very visual learner. When I first tried learning code I had some difficulty and slowly progressed to around two words per minute. But one night when the power was out I found a table in a dictionary and memorized the table. The next day I was able to copy 5 wpm.

Of course this means that speeding up for me is much more difficult than learning the code auditorially, but I did pass the 5 wpm test for my novice license and I know that with enough effort I would have learned the code "the right way".

Personally I have NEVER met anybody who claimed they couldn't learn the code who put in real effort, except for people with documented hearing disorders. And these people were able to learn the code and pass the test using a light instead of sound.

Brian

KB7OIE

10. KC6UFE

KC6UFE Ham Member QRZ Page

...they pay us.

11. K7SE

K7SE Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnny can't read and write but we will give him a high school diploma so he win't feel bad. He joins the army want's to be a Ranger but it's too hard so the Army gives everyone a black beret. Ham radio is doing the same thing if it takes a little effort to suceed and you can't do that let's give them a license so they won't feel bad. As a retired military person I can tell you CW is being used right now in
    combat to protect us! I don't care for CW either but I did it the same as everyone else for the past 100 years, and I don't mean 5 wpm, my dog can copy that! Really it is another language and can always be used. ANYONE who is motivated and really wants it CAN learn CW, of course if enough of you
    can't learn 5wpm the FCC will probably do away with that requirement too, 'cause they would not want to make you feel bad!

12. tomahawk1

tomahawk1 Banned

Why not grant licenses by personal invitation and referral only? A thorough background check can be done, not only going back to the applicant's date of birth, but all the way back to his great grandfather, even if his great grandfather never entered the United States. After all, we must make sure that neither the applicant, or any family member, distant relative or ancestor ever drove a truck (even once), or ever operated a CB radio (even once). Also, nobody without a MSEE should be considered for a license. It doesn't matter if the applicant is a member of al-Quaeda, the Taliban, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah, is a psychotic serial killer or a Satanist, just as long as he never drove a truck or operated a CB radio.

13. KC6UFE

KC6UFE Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not another language, it is a way of encoding characters of a language, and btw, what is your dog's callsign. I was thinking of a 'worked all dogs...'

14. KK5OL

KK5OL Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice story. But....code isn't gonna jump out of those books and tapes at you. Sure, there are a few who have learning disoders. Just keep saying "I can't" learn and you surely NEVER will.

Mike de KK5OL

15. KB9YFI

That CB comment was meant to be a joke although as I re-read it there is not a lot of context to support that statement. I do not hate CB. I have a chicken-band tranceiver in my own car which I use to communicate with my wife who is not licensed and is probably too much of a hellion to ever fit into the amateur community anyway.

As far as truckers go, they do seem to have an inordinate amount of sub-human, sub-literate low-lifes in their ranks compared to the many other "professions" I regularly contact. Or perhaps it is just the barely-comprendable dialect many of them speak and the abundance of 4-letter explitaves they so richly spinkle into conversations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.