ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Why Doesn\'t The FCC Crack Down on Export 11M

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

WB2GOF writes...

"I recently found this on a well known online auction website:

"Connex's New DEER HUNTER CB radio is a winner. High power and easy to do all of the things that hunters need. Swings over 17 watts after peaking and tuning. It is a well built radio. Has HI and Low Power settings. Built in SWR meter. RF gain. Mic gain control. Roger beep. AM and FM transmit and receive.

These radios convert to 2 LOW bands and the normal 40 channel CB total of 120 channels. You can have more if you want them, but this is the easy conversion. The other radios have low, CB, & Hi band. Hi band is useless for hunting. Since Hi band is normally for Side Band use. So the upper channels are a waste. The conversion is easy. Clip off the orange jumper wires on the solder side or top of the radio and put solder on the two unsoldered pins of the PLL next to where one of the orange wires was. ALL OF MY DEER HUNTER RADIOS ARE BRAND NEW AND READY TO GO!!!!!!"

I realize that the FCC has limited manpower to do enforcement, but to allow the domestic manufacturing of these radios for export use seems to defeat the purpose of preventing the use of non type accepted radios in the USA. I mean these things are available at any given truck stop along the Interstate. What is the point of making these things here when they slip out and into the hands of domestic CB'ers and freebanders?

Has the FCC given up any hope of enforcement of the 11M mess? Riley Hollingworth, are you listening?"

2. WA8BZC

WA8BZC Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is typical of ALL government agencies today. The almighty dollar decides what and who gets enforced. ARRL is continually fighting the sale of our frequencies. Need more be said?

3. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

ad the indians would say. They quit issuin' lisences. etc.

Hollingsworth title is SCARE (Special Counsel
    for Amateur Radio Enforcement) and this is not ham
    radio per se.

The violations reffered to would com under the
    jurisdiction of the EIC in the radio region where
    they're occurrin'.

Be aware a lot of Field Offices were closed and
    left with a "small" (government for tiny) professional staff. The Norfolk, VA office (Field offfice was moved to Kansas City) is just shadow of what it used to be and you hardly
    see the engineers at hamfests, computer shows etc
    for lack of money. If a problem is well documented they will come and take action.

73 de Ronnie

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Be carefull, you might get what you wish for!!!

Whining about these ILLEGAL and easily modified radios can backfire right in our own faces! And is already doing so!

Cbers are not the only ones that use these radios. We can use them on 10 meters and sometimes they are an affordable rig for us compared to the giant HF rigs with the GIANT prices to match. AND whining about modified radios for use out of band can and already is affecting legitimate auctions on the big auction sites like Ebay!

There have been many posts on this very web site about the ham that tried to auction his perfectly legal although modified HAM RADIO or AMPLIFIER only to have Ebay shut the auction down! Its even hard to auction a simple PRO-2006 police scanner on Ebay cause there are WHINNERS out there that wanna turn you into Ebay and have your auction terminated!

Lets take a look at things in the real world..

There are thousands of Cbers, and only a tiny tiny amount of them use illegal or modified radios.

Then on the other hand, there are thousands of licensed ham radio operators, and many many of them will modify their radios! Many even use them illegally to communicate in the business bands or public service bands! Not all of you may know this, but you should! It is illegal to use a Ham radio to transmit outside the ham radio bands except in an emergency (other than CAP or MARs use)… There are thousands of you that use your HAM radio illegally, and the manufacturers make it easy for us to modify them, like the example of the deerhunter CB radio, its usually just cut a wire or lift a resistor or whatever, then our HAM RADIOS are capable of being misused as well….

Whinning about these deerhunter radios can come back and bite us in respect to our own modified radios and radio usage habits. And our own auctions for legitimate gear…

In my opinion the export and easily modified Cb radios actually do a lot for our own hobby of amateur radio by exposing potential future hams to 10 meter radio technology. We all know a lot of hams come to ham radio with a CB background. My guess is there is only very few of these fancy CBs that actually cause us a problem, and in fact might be useful in steering new hams into our ranks when they are bitten by the radio bug!

I spend a lot of time on 10 meters, other than a few Spanish stations that appear once in a while which may be using illegal CBs, I can't say that I have ever actually heard much interference caused by illegally operated CB radios. Maybe I am missing something, I have a habit of moving on down the band if there is something I don't wanna hear… 10 Meters is a big place! And there aint much our buddy Hollingsworth can do about the Spanish stations (likely in Mexico) anyway…

Now, something else I have to say about CB radio.. Why do so many hams seem to hate these guys? Why worry about them at all? I suggest next time someone wants to RAG on the Cbers you should spend a little time driving cross country cause I think you might grow a little respect out the the value of a CB radio.. Then tune down to 75and 80 meters and listen to the crap that goes on down there (BY LISCENSED HAMS) every single night of the week! That crap makes most Cbers look like angels!

I just had to enter my 2 cents worth on this one.

I hope you guys THINK before you start whinning on something that can come back around to hurt our own hobby…

Eddie Runner - NU5K

5. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm reading about this Roger Beep thing, what on earth is it? This is a serious inquiry.

73, Steve N4SL Machias, WA CN88xa

6. kc0idi

kc0idi QRZ Member

KCØLSC is right lets try to stay on the subject and keep this from being another one of those Ham VS CBer arguments. This is about what the FCC is going to do about illegal radios.

B.T.W. I do support all those people that do try to use it for what it was meant for and stay on the frequencies assigned.

73, Reid KCØIDI

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Tim wants to know the difference between, say, a Galaxy "export" radio with a roger beep, echo mike, and channel knob that is sold in a truck stop.....and a Yaesu FT1000D sold in an HRO store.

Can anyone enlighten him?

Check out some Tim's more thoughtful statements in the Rec.Radio.Cb newsgroup.

------------------------------------------------
    Subject: Re: FA PALOMAR 250 3-30MHZ LINEAR AMPLIFIER
    Newsgroups: rec.radio.cb
    Date: 2000-10-14 07:59:54 PST

check you ham laws and by laws all day. this is cb, the land of the lawless buddy. you dont like it go away cuz where here to stay. right or wrong its the way it is and alwasy has been.

>> > "J. Boswell" wrote in message
    >You better check your ham by-laws and FCC rules & regulations...
    >That amplifier is NOT "type accepted", so ham or not, legal frequency
    >or not, it is illegal to use. If it can amplify an RF signal over 24
    >megahertz on the HF bands, and can do so with less than fifty watts of
    >drive, than it is disqualified from "type acceptance".

Best Wishes And Good DX,
    Tim Kp82 Knight Patrol USA

Hottest and Most Current 11 Meter DX News:
    http://www.dxnews.de

Kp Main Site:
    http://gate.net/~kp

Most Complete Source of 11 Meter Links:
    http://www.dxzone.com

------------------------------------------------------------

8. AG4HY

AG4HY Ham Member QRZ Page

steve n4sl
    roger beep is bout the same as the "courtisy beep on your repeaters, you know "dutte, deedle-deet, de doot, only this puppy usually gore BEEEEP at the end of every transmission" can drive you up the wall. my rci mobile 10 meter has one and it stays in the off off position yes i have a rci 2950 and it covers 10 and 12 meters. so there is you a serious answer to your question "what is a roger beep
    73 willie ag4hy

9. Guest

Guest Guest

It is time to put extremely heavy pressure on RH to "dump or get off the commode". The following underlines the disturbing fact that while he promised to take some action in 1999, he has yet to find the crank handle. It is a real problem that requires behavioral modification through agressive enforcement, not manufacturing bans. With millions of radios already in use, the enforcement issue is most imperative. How can he continue this creampuff enforcement pattern on 2M, 20M & 75M upon licensed hams ONLY when our band is being invaded by those without a license? Is 10M still a ham band? He lacks the ability to follow through on his promises, made in HIS OWN WORDS. Promises, promises...

TEN-METER ENFORCEMENT NEXT (note 1999 date)

The encroachment of unlicensed persons into the 10-meter band and a crackdown on illegal RF amplifiers will be the next area of enforcement. Loud applause followed this announcement by Riley Hollingsworth at the Shelby, North Carolina Hamfest. During a later interview, Hollingsworth elaborated on his comments. "We're coming on to ten months of rejuvenated amateur enforcement now, and two issues are clear--two areas we need to really crank up on next year," Hollingsworth said. "One is the incursion into 10 meters by unlicensed operators--CBers and so forth. The other is sales of illegal equipment on the Internet and at hamfests." Hollingsworth spotted more illegal equipment at Shelby than he had seen at Dayton this past May, he told those at Shelby. Shelby is better known for its flea market than its forums, but Hollingsworth drew a standing-room-only crowd, causing Hamfest organizers to hurriedly schedule a second forum and rearrange the room for more seating. --John Kanode, N4MM, provided some information for this report

Tnx ARRL Letter Online, September 17. 1999!!!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

>Cbers are not the only ones that use these >radios. We can use them on 10 meters and >sometimes they are an affordable rig for us >compared to the giant HF rigs with the GIANT >prices to match.

Ever heard of used HF gear? If you have General ticket or above, how does it make sense to buy a single-band 10M radio (with a roger beep) for $300 VS a used multiband HF rig for $300????

>Lets take a look at things in the real world..
    >There are thousands of Cbers, and only a tiny >tiny amount of them use illegal or modified >radios.

LOL! Go to Copper.com or EEI.com or any truck stop or CB shop. Look in any truckers cab. It's epidemic.

>Whinning about these deerhunter radios can come >back and bite us in respect to our own modified >radios and radio usage habits. And our own >auctions for legitimate gear…

Hmm. This is the same lame attempt at stampeding hams I have read CB equipment dealers using.

>In my opinion the export and easily modified Cb >radios actually do a lot for our own hobby of >amateur radio by exposing potential future hams >to 10 meter radio technology.

So you feel potential hams ought to operate ILLEGALLY in order to get exposed to "10 meter technology"? WTF are you drinking???

>We all know a lot of hams come to ham radio with >a CB background. My guess is there is only very >few of these fancy CBs that actually cause us a >problem,

How can you say that? Listen to 28.000 to 28.250 any day and you will hear CBers.

>and in fact might be useful in steering new hams >into our ranks when they are bitten by the radio >bug!

Again, encouraging ILLEGAL operation is not good training for a potential ham.

11. N0HAN

N0HAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been licensed for 20 plus years now and started with the cb types out there. I am proud of some of them and value the knowlege they passed on to me. As for CB's being modified most of the serious ones use HF gear. As I remember FT-101's and such were really popular hey they even had 11 mtrs on some band switchs! And I don't know too many hams that would turn down selling it to a CBer (for more money of course) versus a fellow ham trying to buy it cheap. We out-lawed most of all the good radios (american made) and amps so they went the easy way "buy ham" to begin with and use it. (its cheaper than CB and a amp)I also have visited many countries and seen the IC 2at used by many military in the 3rd world. And even used HF gear in an aircraft to fly over the ocean. (we had to deliver them and could not afford the king radios) And yes alot of truckers and hobbiests also. From a stand point it makes us stronger because these are not licensed how can you control it if ya dont know where they are? Do I like folks using them not really but most who do aren't jerks. And there try to do what they want and not tork us off. You would not beleive how many CB types have asked to help them clean their system up so they don't interfer then when they get frustraited they go out and buy Ten Tec or FT 980 and even collins rigs heck most hams don't even do that. Most of those rigs (truck stop types) have a hot receiver and a fairly clean transmitter and can be had for a song (used) a cheap way for ten/12/15 in some cases. So why don't we regulate it more, we can afford more expensive radios right! We can afford to have proms programmed and synths sealed in epoxy. Scanners that even the FCC can't used of course then the internet will have to controlled also.(even more than it is now) If you want the freedom then allow others theirs even if it is not right it's the choice that preserves us all.

12. KD5SYH

KD5SYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger beep is used generally when working DX with a high background noise level so the other station that you are working will know that you've completed your transmission. Alot of hams are uptight about this issue, because they feel it is "too CB like" and fail to realize the use of this effective, yet simple, DX tool.Yes I was once A CBer a long time ago (I am now 14) and worked exclusively SSB on ch. 38. But now I'm a big boy...hehe. I also use to own a Galaxy DX-77HML...but we'll leave it at that...Hey, CBers that are serious eventually turn into new hams, many with radio skills that hams not brought into ham radio by CB may lack.

TNX & 73's,
    Fabian C.
    KD5JDG

13. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

AS I recall, it came from a techique that NASA
    used that sent the letter K (DAH DI DAH) when the
    space men unkeyed their mics. K of course is the
    over signal in CW.

I would only guess havin' never had anything to with CB, that the dopes got it backwards and
    sent R (DI DAH DIT) which is Roger signal in
    CW.

73 de Ronnie

14. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

Tim, please see my earlier post. NASA use K (over), not R (ROGER).

15. VE7NGR

VE7NGR Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes no sense to me. If you can't hear the other station well enough to even know whether or not he is transmitting - how do you expect to know what he is saying???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.