ad: ProAudio-1

When do \"collectors\" become \"dealers?\"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

By Paul/WA3VJB
    Peddlers or Collectors. It seems to depend on motivation.

As part of my interest in the vintage radio specialty in the hobby, I've run across a few people who could more accurately be considered dealers rather than collectors of older equipment. So where does one define the difference? And should the difference be a matter of concern?

Most of the enthusiasts I hang out with hang on to their accumulated stuff for a long time. Sure, the occasional duplicate example of some radio or other might get sold, but increasingly it is sold only "within the family," to someone else with a loyal interest in repairing, restoring and using said equipment.

Such sales usually involve a family price -- far lower than the levels pushed higher by "ebay" and individual dealers selling to anyone who's got the money.

So what happens when someone poses as a member of the family, in order to obtain radios for resale, primarily to generate commerce? These folks are eventually found out, ostracized, and called what they are -- vendors, dealers, peddlers. I could give you quite a list, with documented examples, revealed in the 30 years I've been in this part of the hobby.

Yes, they may be "enthusiasts" in the sense of the word I've established, but they can also display an ethical problem when dealing with others who may not agree with the idea of making as much money as possible from the quick re-sale of equipment that may never have been explored with the loving interest of someone hoping to see such a radio on the air.

Concern among people, including myself, who are not wishing to be part of "commerce" with their collection of radios, are taking greater care to avoid certain clubs, associations, museum curators, and "enthusiasts" who questionably handle the flow of radios wanted and for sale.

As a result, the number of available "classic" radios has fallen dramatically, and someone new and hoping to join the vintage specialty is encouraged to get to know, and be known by, members of "the family" who can be assured their interest is genuine.

Is this the type of transactional "quality control" we should favor, or should we instead discourage the radio rug merchants from flipping rigs bought cheaply from estate sales, skimmed from classifieds listed by unknowlegable sellers, and who masquerade as "clubs" to take advantage of folks who are not fully aware of the marked-up market potential for their long-held radios.

Yours to consider.

Paul/WA3VJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.