ad: MLSons-1

What You Need To Know About Transmission Lines and SWR

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by AE2EA, Jan 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AE2EA

AE2EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Although a transmission line is only two parallel conductors, it has seemingly mysterious properties, like impedance and velocity factor, which can contribute the the line being either highly efficient, or extremely lossy. On top of that, much of the available information on the subject is just plain wrong.

So what's really going on? Physicist, professor, and PhD, Greg Latta, AA8V explains these mysteries in one of the most intuitive presentations on transmission lines and standing wave ratio on the web.

73, Mark ~ AE2EA

PY2NEA and CE3FJK like this.
  2. CE3FJK

CE3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

this is pure gold. thank you for sharing it.

PY2NEA likes this.
  3. AE2EA

AE2EA Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought so...
    Greg Latta certainly does a great job with providing a useful way to think about complex problems.

73, Mark

PY2NEA and CE3FJK like this.
  4. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

This was fantastic. The waves and reflections make me think of water hammer in an incompressible fluid system of significant inertia when a valve is closed fast. The shock wave is sent up the pipe to the first reflection point and back to the valve at the speed of sound in the fluid, then the POP. Not good for the pipe or the valve by the way. I guess all waves behave the same.

K4PP