What is Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE8JNU

KE8JNU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video!! :) Even 10 year olds can contribute to tornado confirmation.

2. KE8JNU

KE8JNU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We can 'sell' to their interest by introducing youth!

W1YW likes this.
  3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL spent years downplaying any interest in the huge HF /Backpack Portable and HF /Pedestrian Mobile popular movement that started becoming popular around 20 years ago.

It is fascinating to see both Hamvention and ARRL are now appropriating it, with HF /Pedestrian Mobile imagery in their promotions to attract operators.

There is a desire to attract new generations, particularly to HF.

But, younger generations see stereotype inequality and sexism in ham radio, such as depicted in this Hamvention poster promoted by ARRL:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    K6AEA, K1OIK and KE8JNU like this.
  4. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

KQ6XA,

When I started it was "boys only".

There was no babysitter, and that is how I came to sit quietly on the sidelines at a cub scout meeting.

It still operates much that way!

KE8JNU likes this.
  5. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Where you see stereotypical inequality and sexism I see chivalry and female empowerment. The boy is helping the girl up the hill, as a gentleman should. The girl is outdoors doing, presumably, what she wants and not left behind to cook and clean. Being equal does not mean being the same. Males are bigger and stronger, as a general rule, and so will tend to get to the top of the hill faster. We need to teach our young men to help others up the hill, because that's what gentlemen do.

K6AEA, AF9US, W4HM and 4 others like this.
  6. KA4AQM

KA4AQM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Quick to the point, just enough graphics to tweak interest...well done.

7. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The younger generations tend to see such blatant mansplaining as either insulting or embarrassing to watch.

See if you can find yourself on this flow chart :)

[​IMG]

I find it amusing :rolleyes:

By the way, when was the last time that you climbed a mountain?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with radio gear...

[​IMG]

How about climbing a 1000 ft rope?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    N2EY and W0PV like this.
  8. W5MIL

W5MIL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, Lord.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Take this scenario.... I meet a woman I have no knowledge of who has a question that is poorly phrased. Do I,
    1. Ask her to rephrase the question risking her thinking I am talking down to her?
    2. Assume I know what she means and answer the question wrongly giving her bad info which makes her angry?
    3. Assume she is not versed in the topic of her question and ask her if I can explain it to help her rephrase, risking that she thinks I am talking down to her?
    4. Play 50 questions to get at the root of what she wants and have her mad at me for not understanding her in the first place?
    You see, today you set the stage for making it almost impossible to speak to a feminist without offending. You seem to suggest we treat all women like they know more than us and leave them alone.

Life is a series of intelligence mismatches at times. I have been both mansplained and womansplained on topics of which I am an expert. It happens. Maybe it happens to women more. There has to be a better way that getting your knickers in a twist about it.

W5MIL likes this.